Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love the Model 3, just don't love any color options...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last four cars have been charcoal, silver, silver, charcoal, so there's a pattern...I thought I loved the midnight silver but after seeing a silver P3 with white seats, I'm ruined. Silver is really the only color I love, and doesn't appear that option is returning. I'm searching for used but really want a new model. Anyone else buy one not loving the color but the car is so awesome you got over it?

White - looks great with white seats, but I always think white cars look best on japanese cars. white BMW's, Porsche's etc. always remind me of my white Turbocharged Integra I had in high school!

Red - also looks great, but other than a Ferrari convertible red always looks like a girl car (sorry!)

Blue - torn on this one, I haven't seen enough in real life, looks good, but I wish it was more of a navy, I'm almost 40 and it just feels like a color for someone younger, as it's a bit bright. Another throwback, reminds me a bit of BMW's Avus Blue, my dream car in high school. The "other" M3...

Black - always a staple, but I had one black car, and swore, never again! So hard to clean...

Charcoal - not only do I already have a charcoal car now, SUV I will keep, the charcoal seams a bit flat with too much purple in it. Not sure what's missing, a richer hue with more metallic I think...

Lastly, with such a narrow color range, which I know they are doing for manufacturing efficiency and margin, and sales increasing overall, I'm worried the colors will also quickly get played out. The cars have so few options to begin with, limiting the colors creates even more of a homogeneous vibe...

Alright, can somebody slap me in the face and get me over the color hump???

01C2D465-C347-4B2B-9AD8-8A09E1C7006C.jpeg
Wrap it!

When I went in to our SC to decide if I wanted to change from my Model S to a Model 3 a couple of weeks ago, I too was not thrilled with the color choices. But when my SA was looking for a car for me, a Silver Metallic P3D popped up from his inventory listing. Apparently someone did a special order and cancelled their purchase. It only had 18 miles on it, so maybe you can go into a SC and do a special order like they did for silver. Order sheet shows a $1500 color charge. Nothing abnormal there. I just got lucky and had good timing for mine. But maybe just asking would work. Not sure what wait times were involved since I did not do the orig order.

When I went in to our SC to decide if I wanted to change from my Model S to a Model 3 a couple of weeks ago, I too was not thrilled with the color choices. But when my SA was looking for a car for me, a Silver Metallic P3D popped up from his inventory listing. Apparently someone did a special order and cancelled their purchase. It only had 18 miles on it, so maybe you can go into a SC and do a special order like they did for silver. Order sheet shows a $1500 color charge. Nothing abnormal there. I just got lucky and had good timing for mine. But maybe just asking would work. Not sure what wait times were involved since I did not do the orig order.
Lucky dog!

Hm, first you insult everyone's car, and now you want advice, eh? :mad: ;)

It sounds like you kind of like the blue. I have that color and I really like it. In low light conditions it looks almost navy. Oh, and I'm older than you.

I agree though that Tesla should have more variety, if only to reduce the chance of ending up in a flock of identical looking cars, which now happens quite often here in Tesla Central. :p

Hm, first you insult everyone's car, and now you want advice, eh? :mad: ;)

It sounds like you kind of like the blue. I have that color and I really like it. In low light conditions it looks almost navy. Oh, and I'm older than you.

I agree though that Tesla should have more variety, if only to reduce the chance of ending up in a flock of identical looking cars, which now happens quite often here in Tesla Central. :p

Certainly was not trying to be offensive, I was just sharing my perspective and my experiences which shape those perspectives. I don't think any of the colors are ugly, but none of them scream at me, and when you buy a brand new $60k car, you want it to scream at you from the garage at night! The blue seems to be less common which I like, not totally ruling out what or MSM either, the white seats definitely help complete the car too. I actually think red is their best actual color, the hue of the paint, the way it shows in person and in photos is striking, just not a red car guy...

My last four cars have been charcoal, silver, silver, charcoal, so there's a pattern...I thought I loved the midnight silver but after seeing a silver P3 with white seats, I'm ruined. Silver is really the only color I love, and doesn't appear that option is returning. I'm searching for used but really want a new model. Anyone else buy one not loving the color but the car is so awesome you got over it?

White - looks great with white seats, but I always think white cars look best on japanese cars. white BMW's, Porsche's etc. always remind me of my white Turbocharged Integra I had in high school!

Red - also looks great, but other than a Ferrari convertible red always looks like a girl car (sorry!)

Blue - torn on this one, I haven't seen enough in real life, looks good, but I wish it was more of a navy, I'm almost 40 and it just feels like a color for someone younger, as it's a bit bright. Another throwback, reminds me a bit of BMW's Avus Blue, my dream car in high school. The "other" M3...

Black - always a staple, but I had one black car, and swore, never again! So hard to clean...

Charcoal - not only do I already have a charcoal car now, SUV I will keep, the charcoal seams a bit flat with too much purple in it. Not sure what's missing, a richer hue with more metallic I think...

Lastly, with such a narrow color range, which I know they are doing for manufacturing efficiency and margin, and sales increasing overall, I'm worried the colors will also quickly get played out. The cars have so few options to begin with, limiting the colors creates even more of a homogeneous vibe...

Alright, can somebody slap me in the face and get me over the color hump???

I will forever only get black, then wrap it. Unless of course they don't charge for colours. At least with wraps you get the exact colour you want, and it protects the car.