Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Love the Model 3 Steering Response

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StealthP3D

Dec 12, 2018
Maple Falls, WA
Am I the only one who has noticed how crisply the Model 3 steers? All you have to do is imagine you want to change direction and it seems to go there as if it's reading your mind! Yes, I know, it can't do that literally, but the responsive steering wheel kind of makes it seem like that.

Currently running Pirelli Sottozero 2's but it's just as good with the Michelin MXM4's.

Absolutely. I mentioned it in another thread a while back on a topic of something like "what impressed you the most" or something like that.

Everything else I drive now feels like an accident waiting to happen and I don't feel comfortable going over 50 mph.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
not sure if anybody here has ever driven a lancer evolution, but they had a razor sharp steering response. just wondering if its comparable as i have a test drive scheduled for Saturday.

I daily drive an Evo X. Every time I travel, drive other cars, then get back in my Evo, I always enjoy it and am reminded of how so few manufactures actually care about driving dynamics.

This past Christmas I got back in my Evo at the airport and it was the FIRST time in 10 years I was not (re-)blown away by its amazing driving dynamics; I drove a M3 LR RWD during the two week vacation...

Now, I'm not saying the M3 is a "drivers car", but when you turn the steering to "sport" it's not bad, sure it's pretty video-gamey, but probably 90% of cars on the road are worse. Take that, the acceleration, the lack of noise, and the general all-around refinement, and you get a really good car for running around town, so good in-fact I'm buying the dual-motor (non-p).
Thesmoking tire's review reflects my take-away exactly:

I'm interested in hearing your impressions after the test drive!

I daily drive an Evo X. Every time I travel, drive other cars, then get back in my Evo, I always enjoy it and am reminded of how so few manufactures actually care about driving dynamics.

This past Christmas I got back in my Evo at the airport and it was the FIRST time in 10 years I was not (re-)blown away by its amazing driving dynamics; I drove a M3 LR RWD during the two week vacation...

I daily drive an Evo X as well, mine's an MR with the dual clutch transmission, and I have upgraded brakes and RE71-Rs in the summer.

I also just bought a P3D+.

The P3D+ has way more torque and power, and the throttle response is amazing.

However you can feel every bit of the extra 600 lbs in the P3D+, the suspension feels a bit soft (maybe coilovers needed), and the car needs more tire (235 for a 4100 lbs car!?) and brakes (maybe bigger rotors and pads for such a heavy car).

But it's still a fantastic drive and I'm super happy with it.

i actually have driven an Evo. My Model 3P is a FAR better overall vehicle. (should be for the extra $$$, right?) The Evo is fun to drive and its dynamics are legendary, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Model 3P except in ultimate cornering grip.

I bet the Model 3 would exceed the corner grip of the EVO as long as the rubber was the same and the contact patch was proportional to the vehicles weight. It's that low center of gravity that limits weight transfer in the corners.