Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Taycan’s “charging speed record” isn’t the same thing as the “coast to coast EV record“.

I didn't say they were as they're entirely separate records set at different times.

The article I linked to described the coast to coast charging record, but I didn't post a link to the cannonball one.

But, thanks for correcting me on the coast to coast EV record as I didn't realize the Taycan time was beaten.

Last edited:
I didn't say they were as they're entirely separate records set at different times.

The article I linked to described the coast to coast charging record, but I didn't post a link to the cannonball one.

But, thanks for correcting me on the coast to coast EV record as I didn't realize the Taycan time was beaten.

The Taycan charges quickly, but its charging speed advantage has never been significant in reality, despite Porsche's claims.

In the end, it's 350 KW charger availability and not charging speed that's the Taycan's biggest drawback for long-distance travel.

The refreshed Model S's charging curve will look the same as the Plaid's, and with its better efficiency and longer range it's likely to extend the Model S's lead in these metrics.

The Taycan charges quickly, but its charging speed advantage has never been significant in reality, despite Porsche's claims.

In the end, it's 350 KW charger availability and not charging speed that's the Taycan's biggest drawback for long-distance travel.

Right, and often when there actually is a 350 KW charger available at an Electrify America station, it doesn't work with the car and people end up having to use a slower charger. At least based on what I've read on forums and from various experiences shared on YouTube.

Reactions: bhzmark
I love how people are worried about charging, and range when the reality is the Taycan has not only the coast to coast EV record, but the charging record as well.

More locations, stalls per location, charging speeds available at the location, working chargers, ease of determination of availability, auto navigation based on availability, ease of the charging process and convenience near other stores/restaurants is what actually matters to me vs a specific one route comparison. But okay.

Right, and often when there actually is a 350 KW charger available at an Electrify America station, it doesn't work with the car and people end up having to use a slower charger. At least based on what I've read on forums and from various experiences shared on YouTube.
The two primary concerns I would have is the lack of stalls at a location, and whether it works as expected when I plug in.

The problem with user forums is people often only share bad news, and so its hard to get an idea of what the averages are with a specific vehicle.

A Tesla Supercharger only has to work with Tesla's so its really fairly rare that there is a problem, but with an Electrify America network they have to work with a bunch of different vehicles from various brands so there is a lot more variability. Then there is the issue of not knowing if its an issue with the charger or the vehicle. There seems to be a lot of initial issues with new vehicles and the EA chargers.

In the old days I could use plugshare to get an idea of the overall reliability of a charging location, but I don't think most owners use it these days.

I'm hoping Tesla will sell their own CCS adapter soon so I could try out various electrify america locations near me.

My plan isn't to get the Taycan, but I do plan on getting a Rivian.

With that one its going to be more like 2015 with my Model S where I actually had time to eat while charging.

I know how important charging speed is these days, but with my Model 3 on a V3 station I barely have time to eat take out. In fact with my Model S I had a no eating in the car policy. But, with my Model 3 its more like eating french fries while driving as I didn't have enough time to finish them while charging.

The reason I posted about Taycan EV cross country charging record is something like that wouldn't be possible if they were really bad.

It might not even be a concern much longer if Tesla sells an adapter to allow non-Tesla owners to charge at Superchargers. I think they will as that's additional reoccurring revenue. In fact that might happen before I can even get my hands on a Rivian.

It might not even be a concern much longer if Tesla sells an adapter to allow non-Tesla owners to charge at Superchargers. I think they will as that's additional reoccurring revenue. In fact that might happen before I can even get my hands on a Rivian.
If Tesla does that it will both destroy the supercharger network (unless they significantly increase its expansion rate) and make every other EV including the Taycan far more desirable.

Was certainly a reason I got a Plaid instead of a Taycan. However the Taycan back seats are really just too small for it to be a good family car. Even the wagon version doesn't have the cargo capacity of the S either.

If Tesla does that it will both destroy the supercharger network (unless they significantly increase its expansion rate) and make every other EV including the Taycan far more desirable.

Was certainly a reason I got a Plaid instead of a Taycan. However the Taycan back seats are really just too small for it to be a good family car. Even the wagon version doesn't have the cargo capacity of the S either.

Well, Tesla has already started down the path of opening the Supecharger network to all EVs, at least in Europe where it's all CCS. Will need adaptors in the US but I vaguely recall Elon talking about offering adapters being available at all the Superchargers at some point.

And yeah, I just looked at the trunk space dimensions on the Taycan CT vs the MS, thinking it might be close enough but it's not. Taycan CT is 15 cubic feet / 42 with the rear seats folded, the Model S gives you 25 / 64 cubic feet.

Not to mention the Porsche will actually achieve or exceed those 280 miles in normal real world conditions. No Tesla is getting anywhere close to 400 miles in reality.
I'm getting very close to my 396 in my Plaid. Its much better than my 2016 S 75D with range. I actually test drove the Taycan and wanted to love it. I had a Boxster S about 15yrs ago and loved that. But I didn't feel engaged in the drive, it wasn't exciting. Yes build quality was better than the 2016 Model S I came from but not that much better than the 2021 S Plaid I ended up going with. I've also heard from am colleague who did go with the Taycan S (in the North East US) that he isn't getting the battery range that Porsche promised. This is v1 for Porsche. They will get there but it will take a couple more iterations in my view. By which time the US Supercharger network should be open to all. I'll take a look at Porsche again then!

I'm getting very close to my 396 in my Plaid. Its much better than my 2016 S 75D with range. I actually test drove the Taycan and wanted to love it. I had a Boxster S about 15yrs ago and loved that. But I didn't feel engaged in the drive, it wasn't exciting. Yes build quality was better than the 2016 Model S I came from but not that much better than the 2021 S Plaid I ended up going with. I've also heard from am colleague who did go with the Taycan S (in the North East US) that he isn't getting the battery range that Porsche promised. This is v1 for Porsche. They will get there but it will take a couple more iterations in my view. By which time the US Supercharger network should be open to all. I'll take a look at Porsche again then!

My thoughts exactly on the Taycan test dive. It feels artificially leveled in the turns. It’s a very heavy car, but in turns, it’s very flat and eager to turn, but in a very artificial, CGI-esque way, if I can use that term here. Steering has no feedback, but then, Model S steering is equally lifeless.

Also the Taycan touch screens were so laggy, I wish they had less of those. 😁

Reactions: NicB72
Looked at a Taycan recently - really a beautiful car.

Ingress/Egress from both front and rear are pretty bad
Wife with bad sciatica- yeah not nice
I have no doubt that it handles better than the Model S, but the charging infrastructure for road-tripping isn't even in the same league as the Supercharger network. As an example, according to ABRP, a 400-mile trip I do somewhat regularly in my Model 3 would take 75-120 minutes longer in the Taycan due to fewer/slower charging options en-route.

The promised 270kW charging at 800V I never saw once even under ideal conditions (low SOC/warm battery, 350kW pedestal). Don’t believe the hype…as for driving efficiency, one needs to keep an eye on the comparative kWh/100km stats. Tesla is half of my CT with equally aggressive driving, it’s not even close.

Last edited:
Wife with bad sciatica- yeah not nice

The promised 270kW charging at 800V I never saw once even under ideal conditions (low SOC/warm battery, 350kW pedestal). Don’t believe the hype…as for driving efficiency, one needs to keep an eye on the comparative kWh/100km stats. Tesla is half of my CT with equally aggressive driving, it’s not even close.

The Taycan pays the function price for its beautiful form. The B-pillar location in relation to the front seat and the comparatively small door openings and wide door sills all take their toll.

I’ve read conflicting reports about its efficiency. It seems that the two-speed transmission probably does help at freeway speeds, but around town it doesn’t seem very efficient at all.

While the Taycan can be a much more expensive car, it doesn't necessarily have to be. It all depends on the features, options, etc. one is interested in. A new 2022 Taycan starts at $84,050 or $76,550 after federal tax credit while the MS starts at $96,190. You can essentially add $20k in options to the Taycan before it reaches the starting price of the MS.
The msrp starts at $84k, but I haven’t been able to find one at that price. All the dealers appear to be marking them up an additional $10-20k in my area. Used base models with less than 10,000 miles are selling for $92k and more.

The msrp starts at $84k, but I haven’t been able to find one at that price. All the dealers appear to be marking them up an additional $10-20k in my area. Used base models with less than 10,000 miles are selling for $92k and more.
True but by the time you option it with things that one would expect on a $100K sedan it’s WAY more than $84K AND you have to be willing to accept far less than $100K sedan power and straighline speed…

Reactions: serendipitous
It has a weird regen system. there is the physical brakes which mostly use regen. You use actual physical brakes only when you need braking more than 0.3G or something like that. In addition, the system will always use physical brakes for the first 1-2 min of drive to prime the pads/clear debris and to ensure that your brakes are working/available when needed.

It has something called auto-regen which is what I have enabled all the time. Basically there is zero rolling resistance (ie coasting) when there is no car ahead of you but acts like TACC (applying regen) when you are in traffic.

I've been curious how this works - since it's a blended brake system, is the first couple inches of brake pedal travel somehow not mechanically linked to the master cylinder? And the car chooses whether it can use regen to achieve the deceleration you want, or uses the ABS system to apply brake pressure even though your foot hasn't (yet) pushed the plunger down? I'm having trouble conceptualizing how they keep things feeling consistent while still having a traditional hydraulic brake system. I get the appeal of "the pedals always do the same thing no matter the temp or state of charge" but the purist in me REALLY likes the "right pedal --> batteries, left pedal --> friction brakes" system without any mingling of the two, even if it means I have to adapt to conditions.

Reactions: tm1v2
I can't speak to the Porsche, but on other cars that have done that, the first bit of travel basically just engages regen. It always feels different than the rest of the pedal stroke. Again, maybe Porsche is different. What I've always hated is the inconsistent feel as you go throuMy gh the stroke.

I like how Tesla does it. Max region and then PURE brake feel. I'll have to drive a Taycan in depth to see how well they got it.

I like how Tesla does it. Max region and then PURE brake feel. I'll have to drive a Taycan in depth to see how well they got it.

Tesla decided WAY back when not to try to blend regen and friction brakes - they remain one of the few EV makers that does things that way.

I still think it's the proper method...

I am with you on that. Now if they can give us a proper wheel back in the S. ;)
There are some pricey options.