Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much range are you getting? Any range issues during colder weather?
I’m in Orlando FL, so range during cold weather is practically unknown.

With my 3.5 year old model S 100D (Rated range of 335 miles), I get a theoretical range of 302 miles at 100% capacity (battery degradation). However, In real life driving (50-50 city-highway) with Michelin PS4 all seasons on 19 inch wheels, I get effective range of 170 miles (from 5 % to 80%) on Tesla

On Taycan, rated ranged is only 200 miles but I get theoretical range of 275-280 at 100% (with extended battery). Effective real world range (5% to 80%) is about 160 miles

So in real world driving situations, they’re both the same. The 2022 Taycan does a very good job with Drive decoupling (ie almost no rolling resistance when not hitting the gas pedal). It just keeps gliding for almost half a mile keeping same speed without slowing down. This probably helps with range.

My lifetime efficiency (after 1500 miles) is 3.1 miles/kWh for the Taycan.

I drive about 50 miles/day. So basically plug in both cars about twice a week. Efficiency and charging costs are comparable.

if I could afford it, I would totally get a taycan turbo s. Such a good looking vehicle.

5EE1AE02-60AE-4E75-98FB-1A7D4D006DBE.jpeg

A9488479-D31B-4BBD-93FB-D585D28E5682.jpeg

Reactions: oktane
I want one! I have a 2021 MSP with FSD. But after looking at the Porsche, I would be happy to trade acceleration for build luxury and….oh yes..leather😎

View attachment 766121
That photo very well captures the difference between and the Tesla interiors! What I see immediately is the sheer number of touch points -- buttons and switches. Reminds me of my Mercedes cars of years ago (except for the screens, of course).

I can tell you that there are pros and cons of both. Software is not Porsches forte but the driving experience makes up for any shortcomings that the software may have. Once I start driving, I completely forget that I have to fiddle around with any software. Wireless CarPlay has been flawless for me which is a big plus. I wish the Taycan had one pedal driving but I can see why they choose to go with a mixed pedal braking. There is less jarring back-and-forth lurching with the Taycan implementation

As far as the Tesla, I do miss the full screen maps on the larger screen. Sending directions from Google to the app is very straightforward with a Tesla while it is somewhat of a convoluted process with the Porsche. That is definitely more legroom for real passengers in the Tesla. Tesla has more instant torque when you Hit the Excelerator. With the Porsche, there is somewhat of a buildup but the acceleration is the same

I’ve heard that the launch control is getting better with the plaid. For the Porsche, it is extremely simple without needing to fiddle on any screen. Just turn the dial mode to sport plus and you’re good to go. There is no battery warmup needed (at least in my experience so far)

Here is the picture of both cars in my garage for one last night before I sell the Tesla tomorrow
I like the green color. Like Shmee's ( a British YouTuber) except that he had to get the color with a wrap, I think.,

Yep. This is my build for anyone interested. This is basically what it costs to option it equal to a MS (Chalk paint is quite hefty at $3,000 but after seeing it in person it's definitely worth the cost).
The difference with Porsche is that you have the ability to make this car cost more by adding myriad options that Tesla does not offer such as massaging seats, rear wheel steering, HUD, etc.
Is there any negotiating on the Taycan? I am guessing there might be in normal circumstances,, but maybe not now with all the supply chain problems and general lack of automotive inventory....

Porsche usually understates their range, 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. Tesla oversells/overstates.

And Porsche build quality and customer service is routinely top notch.

And most drivers in the USA rarely drive over 40 miles per day, if even close to that. So "range" is nowhere near as big of a factor as most make it out to be.

Shout out to the Taycan owners. I Understand your decision and considered Taycan myself, but at the $79k Model S LR price point that I ordered, the LR was the better bang for the buck all things considered.

I really like the shooting-brake look of the Porsche, but the price premium, lack of tech, and range just make it hard to recommend. I'm sure the Porsche is a great product, but it just does not pull me to want to buy it and cancel my Model S order. Think about it. I will pay roughly $100k for my Models S LR, but a similar spec Taycan will be $175K easy after "Porsche Tax"

Reactions: oktane and jebinc
Taycan may have OK range, but problem is that when you run low on battery, there are few places to get a recharge.

It is a beautiful car, with Porsche character, but over priced and no Supercharging network.
There are definitely networks ( Electrify America, etc) but nowhere near the level of the Supercharger network, admittedly.
That said, depends on the usage. Me, for example. I take no more than 2 road trips a year that require on the road charging. So literally 98% of my miles are within range of me leaving/returning to my home.

Others may have different needs and really require the SC network.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Taycan may have OK range, but problem is that when you run low on battery, there are few places to get a recharge.

It is a beautiful car, with Porsche character, but over priced and no Supercharging network.

There are actually quite a few charging stations available for the Porsche, including a decent number of very fast chargers. Porsche also offers three years of "free" 30 minutes (DC) or 60 minutes (AC) charging sessions at Electrify America stations.

Just came back from Carmax and was given a lowball offer of $58,000 for the car with 35,000 miles. I’m sure I can sell privately for a little more but not sure if it’s worth my time. Currently debating on keeping it versus selling it

Similar prices for vroom as well as Carvanna. Any pointers for places where I can try to sell the car online apart from this forum?

Just came back from Carmax and was given a lowball offer of $58,000 for the car with 35,000 miles. I’m sure I can sell privately for a little more but not sure if it’s worth my time. Currently debating on keeping it versus selling it

Similar prices for vroom as well as Carvanna. Any pointers for places where I can try to sell the car online apart from this forum?
carbuyerusa.com