Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ordered a Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came back from Carmax and was given a lowball offer of $58,000 for the car with 35,000 miles. I’m sure I can sell privately for a little more but not sure if it’s worth my time. Currently debating on keeping it versus selling it

Similar prices for vroom as well as Carvanna. Any pointers for places where I can try to sell the car online apart from this forum?
Try a KBB instant cash offer. It'll connect you with local dealers who will actually match it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
fwiw, I just did a lateral trade of my 2021 Taycan 4CT for a 2022 MSLR. Yes, relative to the Taycan the MS has the dynamics of a golf cart; top heavy and bloated. The Taycan feels planted especially over 150kph. That said, the software is glitchy af, Porsche sales were some of the most shockingly arrogant ppl I have ever encountered, and as for build quality, this is highly subjective but I’m going to say the refreshed Teslas have more solid door feel/latching and overall more beef and fewer rattles. The Taycan panel vibrations everywhere are well known by the owner community, resolving on their own with foam wedges because SC’s can’t/won’t reproduce or claim it’s because there is no engine noise to mask the vibrations. But here’s why I reverted back to Tesla even after a previous motor fault due to coolant leak that Tesla claimed was water ingress: range and infrastructure. Public charging infrastructure is an uncoordinated mess and I wasted hours with ElectrifyCanada trying to remedy. The Porsche app is trash (the newer one is better mind you). Winter range of 270km at 85% SOC is a joke. This has a lot to do with drag, my CT had a coefficient of 0.28, MS still 0.21. The clear coat on Porsche paint scratches just by looking at it. All those creases and transitions fill with road grit and so is harder to clean/detail and will wear and rust sooner (lots of mixed metals). All in all, the Tesla is a GT beast, and a better distance machine. But don’t think the grass is greener. It just looks that way. I’m happier in the new MS :) plus, everyone seemed to give me dirty looks in the Porsche (not because of my driving!). Nobody notices Teslas anymore, I prefer that.

I didn't have any luck with KBB and an instant cash offer on my model Y. Maybe better luck with other models.

As for the Taycan, owned a lot of Porsches but call me a purist, I can never really warm up to the 4 door models. At least with the sedans anyway. Have a couple Cayennes but when the Panamera came out I thought it was hideously ugly. I'll still take the many year old basic body style of the S over the Taycan thought I think it looks better than the Panamera by a long shot.

I do appreciate the competition for the S as competition improves the breed.

fwiw, I just did a lateral trade of my 2021 Taycan 4CT for a 2022 MSLR. Yes, relative to the Taycan the MS has the dynamics of a golf cart; top heavy and bloated. The Taycan feels planted especially over 150kph. That said, the software is glitchy af, Porsche sales were some of the most shockingly arrogant ppl I have ever encountered, and as for build quality, this is highly subjective but I’m going to say the refreshed Teslas have more solid door feel/latching and overall more beef and fewer rattles. The Taycan panel vibrations everywhere are well known by the owner community, resolving on their own with foam wedges because SC’s can’t/won’t reproduce or claim it’s because there is no engine noise to mask the vibrations. But here’s why I reverted back to Tesla even after a previous motor fault due to coolant leak that Tesla claimed was water ingress: range and infrastructure. Public charging infrastructure is an uncoordinated mess and I wasted hours with ElectrifyCanada trying to remedy. The Porsche app is trash (the newer one is better mind you). Winter range of 270km at 85% SOC is a joke. This has a lot to do with drag, my CT had a coefficient of 0.28, MS still 0.21. The clear coat on Porsche paint scratches just by looking at it. All those creases and transitions fill with road grit and so is harder to clean/detail and will wear and rust sooner (lots of mixed metals). All in all, the Tesla is a GT beast, and a better distance machine. But don’t think the grass is greener. It just looks that way. I’m happier in the new MS :) plus, everyone seemed to give me dirty looks in the Porsche (not because of my driving!). Nobody notices Teslas anymore, I prefer that.
I appreciate the input. I’m definitely in the honeymoon phase with the Taycan right now. I’ve heard about build quality problems with the 2020 and 2021 Taycan models. Even the dreaded interior alarm for the cross turismo. I’m hoping I don’t have many issues but only time will tell.

For now, I think I’m going to hold on to the model S until I can trade it in for a 2022 or 2023 Model X for my wife (she prefers a higher seating position)

Will be enjoying the best of both worlds for a while 😛

Porsche dealerships (sales office) are definitely a hit or miss. One of our local Orlando dealerships is very arrogant and only wants to cater to clients who “look elite / higher class”. I went with the other dealership where everyone was very pleasant to work with.

Porsche dealerships (sales office) are definitely a hit or miss. One of our local Orlando dealerships is very arrogant and only wants to cater to clients who “look elite / higher class”. I went with the other dealership where everyone was very pleasant to work with.
That is a recurring theme among Porsche dealerships. That and the condescending attitude I experienced sometimes with the service managers in places.

I will say that there are few cars more expensive to repair than a Porsche out of warranty other than the Italian ones. I learned to dump my Porsches while still under warranty. Can't say Tesla is looking much better with the S based on some of the posts I've read here.

I don't think any manufacturer has mastered squeezing every dollar they can out of you with all the upgrades options that Porsche does. I wish Tesla would have a little bit more of that. I understand why they do it but hope as once they sort of get caught up with demand, maybe we can have a few more choices or upgrades.

Reactions: andyro
Looked at a Taycan recently - really a beautiful car.

Ingress/Egress from both front and rear are pretty bad - much worse even than my Model 3, and the practicality aspect is lacking as well with less cargo space.

I have no doubt that it handles better than the Model S, but the charging infrastructure for road-tripping isn't even in the same league as the Supercharger network. As an example, according to ABRP, a 400-mile trip I do somewhat regularly in my Model 3 would take 75-120 minutes longer in the Taycan due to fewer/slower charging options en-route.

I certainly understand the attraction of the Taycan. If the compromises it presents are less of an issue for you than those presented by the Model S, it would be a great car to own/drive.

Yep. This is my build for anyone interested. This is basically what it costs to option it equal to a MS (Chalk paint is quite hefty at $3,000 but after seeing it in person it's definitely worth the cost).
The difference with Porsche is that you have the ability to make this car cost more by adding myriad options that Tesla does not offer such as massaging seats, rear wheel steering, HUD, etc.

That's comparing a RWD to AWD car. Depending on location it may not be a big deal, but a core difference that would apply to many.

Not to mention just getting the power to the ground. Imagine a MS LR trying to put its almost 700 HP to the ground through just the rear wheels. Now add in some sort of precipitation. Give me AWD all the time now for the street.

Sure it is fun tossing a RWD car around on the track, but I'll take AWD for the street every time. I bought the first gen Audi Quattro and have been hooked ever since.

The Taycan is a gorgeous vehicle with great driving dynamics. If they had a Taycan Sport Tourismo GTS for the same price as an Tesla MS LR, I would make the switch. Porsche Service, for me, has been great and is another world relative to Tesla Service.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
That's comparing a RWD to AWD car. Depending on location it may not be a big deal, but a core difference that would apply to many.
Yes - I would not get this car if:
1. I wanted to go on road trips in it
2. MS was still $80k
3. Needed the storage
4. Still lived in NJ where I would want AWD (I believe the price difference was almost 20k for the 4s)

And the pricing I was comparing was to make it equal inside with the basic features like sunroof, vented seats, innodrive, etc.

Does the Taycan have ability to adjust/turn-on a regenerative braking level? I’ve really grown accustomed to the one foot driving and minimal service required on the car. Regenerative brakes really cuts down on brake/rotor wear… having owned a Panamera/Boxter service on a Porsche is crazy expensive.

Does the Taycan have ability to adjust/turn-on a regenerative braking level? I’ve really grown accustomed to the one foot driving and minimal service required on the car. Regenerative brakes really cuts down on brake/rotor wear… having owned a Panamera/Boxter service on a Porsche is crazy expensive.
Service is probably about the same as a Tesla. Regen is very very different and I thought it didn't have any when I test drove. Barely any regen when you take your foot off the pedal, but it actually regens when you push the brake pedal. So it feels like you are using physical brakes but for the most part you are using regen. It also truly coasts when you remove your foot off the pedal (drives much more like an ICE car)

I love how people are worried about charging, and range when the reality is the Taycan has not only the coast to coast EV record, but the charging record as well.

It has a weird regen system. there is the physical brakes which mostly use regen. You use actual physical brakes only when you need braking more than 0.3G or something like that. In addition, the system will always use physical brakes for the first 1-2 min of drive to prime the pads/clear debris and to ensure that your brakes are working/available when needed.

It has something called auto-regen which is what I have enabled all the time. Basically there is zero rolling resistance (ie coasting) when there is no car ahead of you but acts like TACC (applying regen) when you are in traffic.

Service is probably about the same as a Tesla. Regen is very very different and I thought it didn't have any when I test drove. Barely any regen when you take your foot off the pedal, but it actually regens when you push the brake pedal. So it feels like you are using physical brakes but for the most part you are using regen. It also truly coasts when you remove your foot off the pedal (drives much more like an ICE car)
Wow, this (regen behavior on Taycan) sounds like a major “deal breaker” for me. I love the feel of Tesla’s regen simply by feathering (or lifting off) the accelerator.

I love how people are worried about charging, and range when the reality is the Taycan has not only the coast to coast EV record, but the charging record as well.

A Rented Tesla Model S Just Shattered the EV Cannonball Record

The Taycan’s “charging speed record” isn’t the same thing as the “coast to coast EV record“.

And there’s also this:
The Tesla Model S Plaid Is the Quickest-Charging EV We've Tested

So what kind of realistic range can one expect in 70 degree temps on a road trip (all hwy) and driving locally (city streets/some hwy)? Based on some posts above it sounds like the Taycans range is a lot better than they advertise on the website.

Last edited: