Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pace vs P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope
Tesla's new cells are more than likely going to prove even better than the previous generation. Nobody has better battery cell tech than Tesla and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I don't know if Jag is using individual cells or if they went in the 'pouch' direction (think cell phone batteries) to cut down on costs.
I hope your right, the new cells use silicon anodes to increase battery density but at the downside of almost 3x greater expansion rate which would can lead to cell failure over time. Of course they are only switching over a percentage of the anode.

Still traditional tech has been proven in the S and X, and chevy volt as well as all kinds of other consumer devices. We will see how things hold up with these new cells.

Is the function of this thread to prove the i-pace is superior according to some arbitrary metrics? I don't get it...
No, the purpose of the thread to gather more opinions about I-Pace as a direct competition to the performance version of M3. Do you agree, that competition is good for us, Tesla customers.

P.S. And, of course, as usual, to enumerate fanboys.

• Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
Normal experience for me:
Ability to enable windshield whippers from the stearing column or see the turning signal is on, somewhere in front of me. Or even better, to see a blind spot warning on the mirror where I’m actually looking while changing lane. How much would it cost Tesla to do it right? Why is it wrong for me to expect that?
Check the pictures of ipace interior. Where do you see a lot of buttons?

I think Tesla did those things right they just haven't perfected them. Your examples are all conceptually better on the Tesla they just need some updates to improve on the existing concepts. Windshield wipers work automatically, why flip a stick? 360 cameras are checking your blind spot and showing you exactly where every vehicle around you is located why wouldn't you look at that rather than your mirror that only shows about a 20 degree view of objects around you? Both of those features admittedly need work still but once they work as planned they will be much better. I don't have the turn signal issue, for me it is just as easy to see the screen as it is to see a traditional dash display, looking slightly to the right or looking slightly down are the same. Plus the signals flash in a spot visible in my peripheral without looking at the screen and they make a noise, so it is pretty easy to tell when they are on.

I thought this Motor Trend write-up might be useful for those reading this thread. The i-pace finished pretty much dead last from the description and times at the track.

There were also some interesting comments in the article which highlight why the Tesla is still a solid choice;

War of the Worlds: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - Motor Trend

The fastest EV ever at Streets was the Randy-driven Mitsubishi MiEV at a 1:10.90 no, not the goofy Google-car you're picturing but a sleek slicks-and-wings, Pikes Peak racing car we tested in 2014. The Model 3's time appears on my screen-1:23.97. A production-car EV record. A blink quicker (0.07 second) than the Mustang GT Performance Pack 1. Process that. The Mustang GT PP1.

Finally, it's the big-dog Alfa's moment to break the EV silence. We hear the Giulia's bark and baritone as Randy warms the tires. Judgment time. Which will win? Twenty-one thousand gasoline combustions per lap, or software code swarming through silicon chips? The Alfa moves dartlike through the same corners the Tesla just drifted through. Randy pulls in wearing a smile we haven't seen yet today. Mr. Consistency just laid down a 1:22.78. That's 1.12 seconds quicker than the Tesla. "It just does exactly what you expect," he says. "No surprises. Always predictable. Rear-wheel drive just gives me the control that I want."

Then somebody notices the Alfa's Pirelli P Zero Corsa AR Asimmetrico front tires. They're asimmetrico, all right: Half of each tread block's rubber is gone after two sets of three hard laps. The Tesla engineer points to his car's Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss that are at worst scuffed. "We could do that time if we were willing to destroy our tires," he says. The Tesla's rubber contains complex compounding across its tread for minimal rolling resistance but stickiness for corners (with foam glued into its interior to reduce noise). The technical investment in this tire-which can generate 0.95 g's of cornering grip from a 4,078-pound car without significantly damaging the rubber and still deliver 310 miles on a charge-is remarkable.

The other day, I read Bob Lutz espouse that "Tesla has no tech advantage, no software advantage, no battery advantage. No advantages whatsoever." With all due respect, Bob, that's bull. As I sat in the plugged-in Model 3 at the Supercharger station in a Valencia, California, parking lot, I watched a number grow on the car's multitouch screen. That's so cool. Just by plugging the charger in, the Supercharger network recognizes the car, charges your credit card, and displays the cost while you're sitting there. No credit card swipe needed. Totally seamless.

But at 80 percent of its limit, the Tesla is an Oculus Rift headset in a CXC full-motion driving simulator. Even down to the chubby, rubbery, simple-looking steering wheel in your hands. Threading down a twisty road at night-that big screen to one side, darting through corners with laserlike steering, the warp-drive whir-shrieks of its twin motors the soundtrack, and nothing but the headlight-lit road ahead-you're Luke Skywalker attacking the Death Star.

Randy Post likes the predictability of a RWD oriented setup and traditional brake and gas pedals without the learning curve of a regenerative braking setup that the Tesla uses. I don't blame him, and if I purchased a car for primary track use, and I didn't care about reliability I'd probably pick the Gulia too.

No, the purpose of the thread to gather more opinions about I-Pace as a direct competition to the performance version of M3.

Except as stated many times, I-PACE is not competing with the Performance Model 3. P3D is superior in every way possible except for interior, options, and finishes. I-PACE as a car really isn't a Tesla competitor, because it's a CUV. It's smaller than Model S, much much smaller than Model X, its interior feels cramped even when compared to the Model 3. Not to mention its performance is nowhere near any of the current Tesla models so we won't go there.

I-PACE is a not-yet-revealed Model Y competitor. I think it's an alright car for people used to ICE vehicles, because the instrument clutter is going to be pretty familiar. Not to mention its outdated console interface. But it fails to solve the #1 issue people have with electric cars...range anxiety.

And it is a very expensive car, for fairly outdated specs and tech.

Except as stated many times, I-PACE is not competing with the Performance Model 3. P3D is superior in every way possible except for interior, options, and finishes. I-PACE as a car really isn't a Tesla competitor, because it's a CUV. It's smaller than Model S, much much smaller than Model X, its interior feels cramped even when compared to the Model 3. Not to mention its performance is nowhere near any of the current Tesla models so we won't go there.

I-PACE is a not-yet-revealed Model Y competitor. I think it's an alright car for people used to ICE vehicles, because the instrument clutter is going to be pretty familiar. Not to mention its outdated console interface. But it fails to solve the #1 issue people have with electric cars...range anxiety.

And it is a very expensive car, for fairly outdated specs and tech.
I completely disagree with you on I-Pace positioning, but thank you for your post.

In my test drive experience the idea that the interface of the car should be reduced to an iPad-like experience is completely flawed.

I do not understand the attempts to quantitatively compare the i-Pace to the Model 3, unless it is simply because they are currently new models with overlapping price ranges. One is an SUV and one is a small sedan, vastly different cars. I do not think the comparisons are apt, except in the general sense that they are two of the relatively few EVs out there for purchase today.
Someday, maybe the valid comparison will be between the i-pace and the Model Y -- as I understand it, the Y will be an SUV type of vehicle, as the i-Pace is. Weight, height, interior space, efficiency/energy consumption and aerodynamics will then be fair comparisons.

No, the purpose of the thread to gather more opinions about I-Pace as a direct competition to the performance version of M3.
It isn't.

The only reason to pay an extra $9,000 to get an M3P vs. an M3D is because you are a total performance junkie. A performance junkie isn't going to pay more money to buy an I-Pace with worse performance. Because they are a performance junkie. Performance junkies don't pay more money for less performance.

If you're not a performance junkie, you could reasonably consider an M3D vs. an I-Pace. The M3D is way cheaper, has much longer range, a much better charging infrastructure, and better driver assist featurese. Also, Tesla is proven to provide excellent continuing support in the form of software updates. It isn't known what Jaguar will do there. Finally, Jaguar has a spotty reliability record with their ICE cars, and this is their first EV: their reliability is a question mark. Will the I-Pace be more reliable than an M3? Less reliable? Who knows? Could be anything. So, for now, in terms of reliability, the I-Pace is a bit of a leap into the unknown.

Last edited:
I do not understand the attempts to quantitatively compare the i-Pace to the Model 3, unless it is simply because they are currently new models with overlapping price ranges. One is an SUV and one is a small sedan, vastly different cars. I do not think the comparisons are apt, except in the general sense that they are two of the relatively few EVs out there for purchase today.
Someday, maybe the valid comparison will be between the i-pace and the Model Y -- as I understand it, the Y will be an SUV type of vehicle, as the i-Pace is. Weight, height, interior space, efficiency/energy consumption and aerodynamics will then be fair comparisons.
In real life I-Pace looks more like a tall hatchback like BMW i3 then an SUV.

Reactions: David29
I think the biggest difference is that you can actually get a Model 3 in the US right now, and who knows if/when, or how many, I-Paces will be available in the US. If you choose I-Pace you could be waiting for a long time to get one.

I completely disagree with you on I-Pace positioning, but thank you for your post.

In my test drive experience the idea that the interface of the car should be reduced to an iPad-like experience is completely flawed.

If it started at 55k, maybe. But it starts at 70k, so it's not a direct competitor.

The touchscreen is one of the absolute best parts of the car and I don't understand how people are getting that so wrong. A touchscreen at the center console, like all the luxury makers are doing, is unusable due to the placement. And two small touchscreens are not as effective as one large touchscreen with all your information and controls right there.

In real life I-Pace looks more like a tall hatchback like BMW i3 then an SUV.

The iPace styling is spot on. You really have to hand it to the brits when it comes to car styling, some of the greatest of all time have come from them.

And if I were to win the lottery one of the very first things I buy;

2018-aston-martin-vanquish-s-coupe-review.jpg

Oh and this: Tesla Model 3 achieves lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA

“NHTSA tested Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive as part of its New Car Assessment Program, a series of crash tests used to calculate the likelihood of serious bodily injury for front, side and rollover crashes. The agency’s data shows that vehicle occupants are less likely to get seriously hurt in these types of crashes when in a Model 3 than in any other car. NHTSA’s previous tests of Model S and Model X still hold the record for the second and third lowest probabilities of injury, making Tesla vehicles the best ever rated by NHTSA. We expect similar results for other Model 3 variants, including our dual-motor vehicles, when they are rated.”

Any questions?

No questions but some color commentary.

It will be years if EVER the iPace is crash tested.

iPace volume and consumer interest just isn’t there for the NHTSA to even bother with it.

It took a LONG time for the Model X to be finally crash tested but we’d rightfully assume it would be the safest SUV ever made.

if you need to sit up a little higher than iPace.
If you live in an area with local flooding than iPace.
If you like physical buttons for controls than iPace.
If you want something more unique than iPace.
If you prefer real leather than iPace.
If you want more color options than iPace.
If you prefer the SUV look over sedans than iPace.

We need the Model-Y for a real contest though.
I would be hesitant to buy any first year model from most car companies.

If you want to induce panic and range anxiety going on a few hours road trip, than iPace.
No I am not flying 5 people to Vegas when I can drive for 5 hours.

If you don’t care about your car software dramatically improving over the years, than iPace.

If you are risk preferred and want to go in with Jaguar service and support when they have no consumer EV experience, than iPace. AKA grass is greener syndrome.

The interior dimensions of Model 3 and i-Pace are very similar. The headroom in particular is almost identical -- Model 3 has 0.4 inches more than i-Pace in the front and 0.4 inches less in the back. i-Pace has more storage in the rear and a smaller frunk. Based on the interior dimensions, as others have said I think it is more accurate to say the i-Pace is a hatchback than an SUV. Possibly the Model Y will be closest of all but we haven't seen it yet.

i-Pace Model 3P
HEADROOM, F/R 39.9/38.1 in 40.3/37.7 in
LEGROOM, F/R 40.9/35.0 in 42.7/35.2 in
SHOULDER ROOM, F/R 57.6/54.6 in 56.3/54.0 in

War of the Worlds: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance vs Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE vs Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - Motor Trend

• Informative
Reactions: David29