Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-Pass Issues - Excessive “Video Tolls”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gents,

I’m in Chicago, anyone else that uses iPass for Tolls have issues with the transponder not registering going tolls where they manually have to assign a “video toll” to your account?

I just received an email from the state any more video tolls this month will result in the full, non transponder charge as a result.

I have a 15 MS 85D. The transponder is just to the right of the rearview mirror where there’s a small section that is left to allow the signal through the windshield glass.

I definitely notice on exit tolls the transponder not working.

Anyone have any work-arounds on this? I’ve seen some say they put it on the back panel of glass on the Pano roof...?

Looking for some advice from anyone who has experienced a similar issue.

Gents,

I’m in Chicago, anyone else that uses iPass for Tolls have issues with the transponder not registering going tolls where they manually have to assign a “video toll” to your account?

I just received an email from the state any more video tolls this month will result in the full, non transponder charge as a result.

I have a 15 MS 85D. The transponder is just to the right of the rearview mirror where there’s a small section that is left to allow the signal through the windshield glass.

I definitely notice on exit tolls the transponder not working.

Anyone have any work-arounds on this? I’ve seen some say they put it on the back panel of glass on the Pano roof...?

Looking for some advice from anyone who has experienced a similar issue.
Is it the same small rectangular unit that EZ-Pass uses? If it is mount it upside down. The antenna is at the right end off the unit.
I learned that by using the FCC ID on the unit on the FCC website to get information on the unit.
I have not had a read failure in PA, DE, or MD since I did that.

Is it the same small rectangular unit that EZ-Pass uses? If it is mount it upside down. The antenna is at the right end off the unit.
I learned that by using the FCC ID on the unit on the FCC website to get information on the unit.
I have not had a read failure in PA, DE, or MD since I did that.
It’s not the same, iPass changed to a newer smaller, triangular model a couple years back...but I figure I’m going to flip my unit anyway to see if maybe that works. They do offer the license plate device here in Illinois as well. I’m going to call into iPass and see if they can provide any clarification as well.

Attachments

• 384F0DD1-B005-49B3-B6C2-A22BC4DE47F2.jpeg
    384F0DD1-B005-49B3-B6C2-A22BC4DE47F2.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 1,108
I had problems early on with detection and determined that I needed a new I-Pass. No problems for the past 4 years. I have noticed that I need to proceed through the toll gates at a slower pace then other cars. Otherwise the I-Pass is not detected.

It’s not the same, iPass changed to a newer smaller, triangular model a couple years back...but I figure I’m going to flip my unit anyway to see if maybe that works. They do offer the license plate device here in Illinois as well. I’m going to call into iPass and see if they can provide any clarification as well.

I know this is counter-intuitivie, but if you install it rotated 90 degrees as shown in my attached image, PS from yours, it will work perfectly.

Attachments

• thisway.jpg
    thisway.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 807
Do not mount it vertically. That puts the antenna out off phase with the toll roads antennas.

20190430_122036.jpg

I know this is counter-intuitivie, but if you install it rotated 90 degrees as shown in my attached image, PS from yours, it will work perfectly.

That's the way it's installed in my other two non-Tesla vehicles without the Tesla glass...even though part of the transponder is "outside" the black portion of the windshield you're not experiencing issues, Jlwine? Technically, that's the way the it's supposed to be installed, per iPass. But, being a bit OCD, I followed Tesla's instructions. I will try this.

MurphyS90D - it looks like I'll likely be driving around flipping my transponder trying to see what actually works...lol

Another workaround, it moving the transponder to the rear Pano glass. There are some older posts on different forums of owners that have used that method with success. In addition, I have seen guy that have received the front license plate transponder and installed in inside the nosecone to the side of the license plate (pre-face lift - like my 2015 is) but I am trying to avoid extra work to have Illinois get my toll money...:(

Last edited:
I had problems early on with detection and determined that I needed a new I-Pass. No problems for the past 4 years. I have noticed that I need to proceed through the toll gates at a slower pace then other cars. Otherwise the I-Pass is not detected.

I may call and see if I can get a replacement possibly, if flipping the unit around doesn't solve the issue. Thanks for the feedback, dabbler!

Reactions: crashvt
Hi Halls1030,

I tried and failed many times with the standard EZpass transponder on my wife's 2015 S-85D.
I finally got the license plate mounted transponder.
It works great. The car is pre-facelift. I put it inside of the nose cone.
In Michigan we currently do not require a front license plate and I did not want to add the license bracket for the transponder.
It works very well inside of the nose cone.
It is not visible for theft or abuse.

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
I live in WI but travel to IL enough that I have an I-Pass. I also got the "video tolls" warning. So I moved my I-Pass to the back window, and it works great! I mounted it to the cross-bar at the top of the Model S hatch. It's not visible in the rear-view mirror, but is visible from behind (only downside). So far, it has read every time we visited since (which is only a few times).

Mount it in the sunroof behind the crossbar. Out of sight (to front seat passengers) and out of the weird RF blocking windscreen.

Heavily leaning towards going this route...lots of guys use this method.

Do you have any issues with the “on ramp” tolls not sensing the transponder? Wondering if I should mount the unit closer to the driver’s side because of this...?

Heavily leaning towards going this route...lots of guys use this method.

Do you have any issues with the “on ramp” tolls not sensing the transponder? Wondering if I should mount the unit closer to the driver’s side because of this...?

I haven't had any missed toll notifications in years. I mounted it in the center for no particular reason and it works.

I haven't had any missed toll notifications in years. I mounted it in the center for no particular reason and it works.

Yeah, mine was the same as yours for nearly 2 years. Then all of a sudden something changed. Not sure what it was, but they were nailing me several times per week and charging me full fare for the video tolls. I went to the service center and talked to them and as soon as I said Tesla, they said I needed the license plate transponder. I notice a big difference between the two especially when I go through a manned tollbooth and you have to wait for the arm to raise. The old way I'd have to come to a complete stop and wait a second before it raises. Now I can pretty much roll through them and it picks up quickly.

I drive around Orlando, one reads it, the next one doesn't. Found out the contractor running the system is corrupt.
Courts r after the firm contracted to run the system. It works fine in Miami, so u figure??
Im not sure about location, i have mine to the right of mirror. I know here its a crap shoot. I get as many read as camera plates.