Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I retrofit MCU2, IC2, Tuner2, and FSD Computer into my HW2.0 Car

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
Trust me - just have Tesla do it and pay them for the infotainment upgrade. Going the DIY route you’ll have many obstacles that unless you’re well equipped and knowledgeable AND have an exploit to leverage to gain access to the gateway- it won’t work.

Reactions: Krash

domodan

Jul 15, 2020
UT, United States
Trust me - just have Tesla do it and pay them for the infotainment upgrade. Going the DIY route you’ll have many obstacles that unless you’re well equipped and knowledgeable AND have an exploit to leverage to gain access to the gateway- it won’t work.
I’ve got an AP1 car so not worried about the FSD computer. I just want MCU2 and don’t want to lose the radio.

BWbear

May 25, 2021
China
Premium audio requires the external amplifier still. My car was base audio, so I got a base audio mcu2. See my post on mcu2 part numbers. It may have been possible to retrofit the external amplifier and additional speakers to upgrade my car to “premium audio” - but I already installed my own sound system ages ago.
So Kyle, thanks in advance for this hardwork and post. I'm doing a premium audio update on my own DIY as well, with external amp and speakers which were somehow easy to access.
Here comes my Q: According to you conclusion, the external amp need signal input from MCU X173 (the green 10-pin connector), even I managed to retrofit harness connection between MCU and external Amp, will the Amp work? I mean, will the MCU output audio signal via the previously unused X173 on base audio system (however still 2-pins on X173 were used but not for audio signal output) without such modification on vehicle config?
MCU connector.JPG

BWbear

May 25, 2021
China
So Kyle, thanks in advance for this hardwork and post. I'm doing a premium audio update on my own DIY as well, with external amp and speakers which were somehow easy to access.
Here comes my Q: According to you conclusion, the external amp need signal input from MCU X173 (the green 10-pin connector), even I managed to retrofit harness connection between MCU and external Amp, will the Amp work? I mean, will the MCU output audio signal via the previously unused X173 on base audio system (however still 2-pins on X173 were used but not for audio signal output) without such modification on vehicle config?View attachment 676153
BTW, mine were officially updated MCU2+AP3, but base audio system.

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
BTW, mine were officially updated MCU2+AP3, but base audio system.
To my knowledge, no. The premium audio is a gateway configuration that needs to be set before premium audio will function with external amp. Again, I’ve never done this myself, so I’m not perfectly sure, but I’m fairly certain I’m right.

Krash

Data Technician
Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
To my knowledge, no. The premium audio is a gateway configuration that needs to be set before premium audio will function with external amp. Again, I’ve never done this myself, so I’m not perfectly sure, but I’m fairly certain I’m right.
Any guess as to what would happen if a satellite radio tuner were installed in a base system as part of an MCU2 DIY upgrade?

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
Any guess as to what would happen if a satellite radio tuner were installed in a base system as part of an MCU2 DIY upgrade?
Xmantenna 0 is currently in gateway. I imagine you’d need to install the antenna (under the glass which looks miserable) and XMAntenna 1 written to gateway, and, likely premium audio enabled to get XM functioning. I gave thought to doing it but never attempted due to little interest in XM

• Informative
Reactions: croman

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
You guys remember that I added M3 XM module to my S about a year ago? And TeslaTap wired a harness to connect XM model for power and antenna to S? Then SC told me mothership had been following our progress and told SC not to make changes to gateway when I specifically asked. So, all dressed up and no party to attend.

Krash

Data Technician
Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
I remembered that you had asked the SC to make a gateway change and that the SC declined to do so.

My question is really this:

1. if you plug in the SXM tuner into a base audio MCU2 without the tuner gateway change what happens?

2. Then what happens if you change the tuner flag but not the XM flag.

Will the XM tuner play over the base audio setup?

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
I remembered that you had asked the SC to make a gateway change and that the SC declined to do so.

My question is really this:

1. if you plug in the SXM tuner into a base audio MCU2 without the tuner gateway change what happens?

2. Then what happens if you change the tuner flag but not the XM flag.

Will the XM tuner play over the base audio setup?
You’re forgetting base audio cars don’t have the xm antenna in addition to the needed xm tuner. Antenna is key as well as tuner and gateway config.

plugging in tuner won’t do anything if not enabled in car configuration

Reactions: FlatSix911

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
I must be losing it. What's the matter with me? It was not the XM Module that we did that work for. sorry. It was the FM module from the M3. They would not make the gateway change for that. It was simply FM module. Sorry for the confusion. But I only remembered because you guys helped me.

Reactions: croman

KyleDay

Oct 29, 2016
AZ
I must be losing it. What's the matter with me? It was not the XM Module that we did that work for. sorry. It was the FM module from the M3. They would not make the gateway change for that. It was simply FM module. Sorry for the confusion. But I only remembered because you guys helped me.
You’re not totally confused. There are two tuner modules FM/HD and another XM/FM/HD. Both have FM but only one has XM and also connects to an expected XM antenna cable.

Krash

Data Technician
Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
You’re forgetting base audio cars don’t have the xm antenna…
I’m not forgetting. I am well aware the antenna must be retrofitted. It wasn’t an option with the glass roof when my Jun 2017 was built or I would have ordered it.

Last edited:

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Interesting. Thanks. Had not heard that one. Maybe I am the cause of that. I think I was the first to put a M3 FM Tuner in an S.

And maybe I am wrong on this, but I don't think M3 had XM. Did it get added sometime after '18?

BWbear

May 25, 2021
China
THX that’s useful intel. So will toolbox do? For the gateway change. I’m sure SC will not agree but toolbox is not SC’s exclusive.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC