Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need MCU2 for a FSD computer and to use the FSD feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still rocking my MCU1 on 10.2 firmware

I can get the FSD computer upgrade for the noted $1000, though have specific reasons why I don't want to upgrade my MCU1 just yet.

Is MCU2 a necessity to obtain FSD?

I can get the $6000 Nav on Autopilot right now without issue...what I like about getting the FSD upgrade is the ability to subscribe.

I don't drive enough on the highway to justify a one-time $6000, but on occasions, I'll have select months that make $200 completely worth it for those months. I'd say 4 months out of the year, FSD would be an absolute dream for me. $600 a year I'll do without question...

$6,000 one-time fee for Nav on Autopilot? NO... I have no idea how long I'll own this car, and no idea how long I'll even have these select months where I'd use it.

$12,000? hell no

To that point, does Tesla provide access to the FSD beta to individuals using the subscription model, or only to those who bought it outright?

I had MCU1 with FSD on my 2016 S (HW2.0), so yes you can have FSD with MCU1 in an HW2.X car. The dashcam works really poorly, so don't expect much there. I think instrument panel 360-degree visualization is limited and will not show as much as MCU2 provides, but that is just visual info and does not affect FSD operation.

I did buy the MCU2 retrofit later on.

I had MCU1 with FSD on my 2016 S (HW2.0), so yes you can have FSD with MCU1 in an HW2.X car. The dashcam works really poorly, so don't expect much there. I think instrument panel 360-degree visualization is limited and will not show as much as MCU2 provides, but that is just visual info and does not affect FSD operation.
OP is talking about the FSD beta. It absolutely needs MCU2.

what year vehicle do you have? you may need camera upgrades (which are hard to come by) to get FSDbeta, so be sure you know if you need the cameras before you plunk down thousands on the MCU2 / HW3 / FSD
Yes, you need MCU2 to get the FSD Beta.
gaswalla:
Thanks, my service appointment is (now was) for FSD computer upgrade + camera upgrade + MCU2

It's a 2017, AP 2.5 btw...which brings me to this question. Is the FSD cpu HW3 or does HW3=FSD cpu+cams+MCU2? I have to ask because in the app Tesla doesn't refer to anything being HW3 or MCU

I went to subscribe to FSD just to see and it said I needed a service appointment to upgrade to the 'Full self driving computer' but didn't mention the cameras. After the replies to this post I now see I need those cameras (which I was getting) to enroll in the beta.

ucmndd:
Thank you!

You both saved me thousands...

So...here is my issue...

I JUST learned right before this post that I may not want MCU2.

Reason is I believe (am pretty confident now) my MCU1 has root access so I need to reach out to my shop to see if they are a unicorn and also can get root on MCU2. From posts here, seems like that isn't a thing?

It's a rebuilt title...

I was just informed by my shop that "home-base has no way of turning off my lifetime supercharging" I bought the car...then found this place and raised my concerns about them turning off supercharging which is why I JUST found out about them not being able to turn it off. When I bought the car, I just thought the lifetime free SC was a Tesla thing...not a hacked thing.

Also when I bought the car...I had virtually 0 knowledge of Tesla technology intracies such as model numbers (MCU1, MCU2) other than it being an electric car with Autopilot and in FSD Beta with the proper upgrades...let alone their policy on salvage titles. I've purchased plenty of salvage title cars in my life. Didn't anticipate anything really...but...

The advertisement for the car was "Lifetime free supercharging" and only has 30k miles on it. I thought to myself...a 2017 Model S 75D with low mileage in pristine condition inside and out with free supercharging for the life of the vehicle all for less than $40k?!?! SOLD!

I got so hyped up, I didn't think to look into all the intricacies involved. I've never had to with other rebuilt titles.

That was where I take partial responsibility...I say partial because...

Once I bought the car...I found this site where I learned much more leading me to believe now that I'm frozen in time with Tesla if I want to continue supercharging or even the other public HV chargers.

It's now also my understanding, if I upgrade to MCU2, Tesla will once again have access to the car remotely and WILL shut off my ability to supercharge AND use the public HV chargers.

Had my dealer explained all of this would I have bought the car? I honestly don't know. Now that I have the car though, I absolutely love it. I've been driving a MBZ diesel.

When all is said and done...I am a little upset...a little pissed off...at both Tesla AND the dealer I bought it from. The dealer for not explaining...Tesla I can understand to a degree. Only because from what Ive also read here...even after the HV inspection passing they STILL dont allow use of the SC and shut it all off. Thats bullshit...I SO WOULD NOT MIND PAYING FOR IT either...especially if I can then get MCU2 + FSD Beta and eventually FSD (when released in full)

BUT...after reading countless posts here regarding FSD Beta...not being worth it...and also learning it's not expected to be complete for a long...long...time...

I'm still okay with AP2.5 + MCU1 + Free SC.

As for the battery situation, I already have that covered and won't get into another novel of what I mean by that. Thankfully nothing shady and I know the HV system is good.

MCU1 will work with FSD beta. This just changed in the last few days. You still need AP3 processor and the camera upgrade. To get any of this to work will need a software upgrade and I'm 99.9% sure Tesla will do that upgrade, such that you will lose your rooting. Then seeing the salvage title, Tesla is likely to revoke your free SC. V11 software is very difficult to root, and MCU2 even harder (not sure either has been done, but the few in the know are not talking!).

There is no FSD grandfathering. Once FSD is on the car, it's there for life, with one exception. If Tesla obtains a Tesla car with FSD via a trade-in, as the owner they have the right to turn off FSD, then resell it either as a used car or through an auction. This allows the vehicle to be sold at a lower price than one that has FSD.

MCU1 will work with FSD beta. This just changed in the last few days. You still need AP3 processor and the camera upgrade. To get any of this to work will need a software upgrade and I'm 99.9% sure Tesla will do that upgrade, such that you will lose your rooting. Then seeing the salvage title, Tesla is likely to revoke your free SC. V11 software is very difficult to root, and MCU2 even harder (not sure either has been done, but the few in the know are not talking!).

There is no FSD grandfathering. Once FSD is on the car, it's there for life, with one exception. If Tesla obtains a Tesla car with FSD via a trade-in, as the owner they have the right to turn off FSD, then resell it either as a used car or through an auction. This allows the vehicle to be sold at a lower price than one that has FSD.

Out of curiosity, once you root your car and enabled some functions, if you upgrade to MCU 2 or to a higher firmware such as V11, are these settings preserved?

Out of curiosity, once you root your car and enabled some functions, if you upgrade to MCU 2 or to a higher firmware such as V11, are these settings preserved?
I've not rooted my car, but there is no way rooting would transfer from MCU1 to MCU2. As for general settings, without rooting, normally (but not always) settings are transferred. I suspect this will apply to rooted cars too, but I'm not sure. I suspect if you are fairly far behind on versions (which is typical with rooting), the settings will not transfer (rooted or not). For example, if you have V8 rooted on MCU1, I suspect the settings will not transfer. As for modifications like enabling FSD or FUSC with a car that doesn't have it, I'd expect these settings would go back to the factory settings. Maybe someone with a rooted MCU1 that upgraded will chime in, but lately, rooted owners are keeping a very low profile!

I'm still rocking my MCU1 on 10.2 firmware

I can get the FSD computer upgrade for the noted $1000, though have specific reasons why I don't want to upgrade my MCU1 just yet.

Is MCU2 a necessity to obtain FSD?

I can get the $6000 Nav on Autopilot right now without issue...what I like about getting the FSD upgrade is the ability to subscribe.

I don't drive enough on the highway to justify a one-time $6000, but on occasions, I'll have select months that make $200 completely worth it for those months. I'd say 4 months out of the year, FSD would be an absolute dream for me. $600 a year I'll do without question...

$6,000 one-time fee for Nav on Autopilot? NO... I have no idea how long I'll own this car, and no idea how long I'll even have these select months where I'd use it.

$12,000? hell no

To that point, does Tesla provide access to the FSD beta to individuals using the subscription model, or only to those who bought it outright?
This will help you with this problem.