Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I should have posted this earlier, please be wary of Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you all to turn it off, I just wanted to say please be wary of it, because it can take some pretty dangerous actions if you let it.

Oh and it's a good idea to let anyone else driving you car know about it.

Re the indicators my point is simply that if you use them the system does not get in the way, if you don't use them than you should be expecting push-back and react accordingly.

In short there is nothing unusual or unexpected about the way the system reacts to an un-indicated lane departure, expect it and steer through it.

Re the indicators my point is simply that if you use them the system does not get in the way, if you don't use them than you should be expecting push-back and react accordingly.

In short there is nothing unusual or unexpected about the way the system reacts to an un-indicated lane departure, expect it and steer through it.
So you *don't* think it's worth warning people about then?

Fine, I'll get back in my box. Don't bother posting the first time it scares the sh*t out of you though.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro
So you *don't* think it's worth warning people about then?

Fine, I'll get back in my box. Don't bother posting the first time it scares the sh*t out of you though.
You are completely missing the point of the reply.

It was obviously good of you to let us know.
The poster was simply saying that it was not unexpected and that the way around it is to indicate.

You seem to think that indicating was impossible. Fair enough. I'm not sure I agree.
People disagreed with you. Others agreed with you. Don't take either too personally.

You are completely missing the point of the reply.

It was obviously good of you to let us know.
The poster was simply saying that it was not unexpected and that the way around it is to indicate.

You seem to think that indicating was impossible. Fair enough. I'm not sure I agree.
People disagreed with you. Others agreed with you. Don't take either too personally.
Fair enough.

For me it was very much unexpected, and scared me quite a lot. I consider myself a safe and aware driver (obviously I do, because of chromosomes and arrogance).

Just wanted to give people a heads up, and it seemed like lots of people were shrugging it off as bad driving and something I should expect. Guess you'd have to have been there.

Don't take this personally Marc, just file this one as a learning experience.

We all need to make sure we fully understand the function of the safety systems and other automated features of our cars, and if this is the first time you've had a car with lane departure avoidance than I can understand why it caught you out.

The behavior you describe though is entirely predictable and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as the system is performing precisely as advertised, it is just that we don't always think about the exceptions to our normal driving modes when reading about these features.

Reminding people that this is what the system does is useful for sure, we should all know this anyway but a reminder never hurts.

Reactions: TestPilot
Don't take this personally Marc, just file this one as a learning experience.

We all need to make sure we fully understand the function of the safety systems and other automated features of our cars, and if this is the first time you've had a car with lane departure avoidance than I can understand why it caught you out.

The behavior you describe though is entirely predictable and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as the system is performing precisely as advertised, it is just that we don't always think about the exceptions to our normal driving modes when reading about these features.

Reminding people that this is what the system does is useful for sure, we should all know this anyway but a reminder never hurts.
Sure, it's my first car with this feature but I knew it was there and had read about it, and watched videos (the one linked above for example).

When I got the car I decided to leave it on, and only turn it off if it malfunctioned (in my opinion). So when the first time it kicked in I massively disagreed with its actions I decided to turn it off. Now I can't turn it off I guess I'll have to live with it, but it's not a feature I am happy about.

I do agree that it should be possible to turn it off.

I drove in a friends new Volvo last year and the 'safety features' tried to kill us in three creatively different ways within the first 10 miles, so I do understand the value of being able to shut down things that don't work the way you want.

I don't have this feature in my S yet, but I've had it in previous cars so I already know I'm going to leave it when (if) I get it, but it should be a personal choice.

I concur. I had an A6 that allowed you to turn it off but reverted back to ON after turning the engine off. I found it intensely annoying. I can’t understand why they reversed the change of being able to permanently turn it off. Great that they have these safety features but don’t force them on us please. As people are discovering, they quite often can make a situation worse.

I concur. I had an A6 that allowed you to turn it off but reverted back to ON after turning the engine off. I found it intensely annoying. I can’t understand why they reversed the change of being able to permanently turn it off. Great that they have these safety features but don’t force them on us please. As people are discovering, they quite often can make a situation worse.

Does anybody know if teslafi can be used to resolve this sort of issue?

I think going forward there may be more things that creep in that get reset with every drive, my concern would be the car not behaving in the way I expected as I had failed to make a config change before driving away.

There's nothing worse than getting into my car only to discover Radio 1 is tuned in when it should obviously be on Radio 4... :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: TestPilot
Does anybody know what sort of scenarios the ELDA kicks in when the standard LDA is off? Is it if it thinks you are going to hit a car?

More Advanced Safety for Tesla Owners

In this case it seems it was triggered by the :

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to steer a Tesla vehicle back into the driving lane if our system detects that it is departing its lane and there could be a collision, or if the car is close to the edge of the road. This feature will automatically be enabled at the beginning of every drive, but can be turned off for a single drive by going to the Autopilot Controls menu.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
UK roads, apart from dual carriageways, are simply not the sort of environment where you want ELDA kicking in. Enabling such a feature automatically on each drive is IMHO a safety risk. Many drivers would be spooked by such behaviour. Like MCAS on the 737 Maxx, this is an example of safety automation going too far.

But the ELDA only kicks in if you don't tell it you're going to depart your lane.

Personally I like the sound of it. If it encourages drivers to indicate more, that is a Good Thing. Particularly in a Tesla - we don't want the same label as the Audi and BMW drivers, do we?! ;-)

But the ELDA only kicks in if you don't tell it you're going to depart your lane.

Personally I like the sound of it. If it encourages drivers to indicate more, that is a Good Thing. Particularly in a Tesla - we don't want the same label as the Audi and BMW drivers, do we?! ;-)
Indicating is unnecessary a lot of the time. Driving the car safely should always come first. In the situation the OP described it sounds like it was a manoeuvre that had to be executed promptly, so the indicator was probably secondary. Lane departure assistance makes sense on highways, but I definitely think it's borderline dangerous on the many smaller roads we have in the UK. I do think the default behaviour should be to leave where it was left last set.

Last edited: