Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I should have posted this earlier, please be wary of Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This only becomes dangerous if you can’t resist the systems desire to steer back across the line with reasonable force.

I can’t comment on that part, but as long as it is in the same sort of range as overriding the normal autosteering, I wouldn’t regard it as dangerous.

How hard a shove do you have to give to over ride both systems? I don't mind it hinting something bad is happening but if I want to drive into a ditch to avoid something it's not detected I'd rather that didn't need super human strength.

I agree that having it as a safety feature is great, and that we should all be aware of what safety features are on our vehicles and how they work.

However, this thread highlights a downside of Tesla's systems: How they work can change between updates. If you had permanently disabled ELDA, then an update changes it's behaviour (on at the start of every drive), you need to be aware of this change. This means there is a new step to understanding how they work: Checking the release notes every update (and hoping these changes are made clear in them). This is something most people won't be expecting to have to do...

Reactions: TestPilot
I'd prefer to be in control and that includes the ability to permanently switch off any automated safety feature if I so desire. So I completely agree with the OP.

I had a hire car in France in the summer that had some form of lane change avoidance feature. If I as much as moved slightly towards the edge of a lane on the autoroute it would yank me back. If I had the temerity to overtake and then try to move back into the slow lane without indicating it would do the same. Disclaimer, I do usually indicate. BUT - if I was taking emergency action to avoid something I would definitely NOT want the car to try and counteract that. Hence why, for me, all of these automated safety features should be selectable - on a permanent basis - by the driver. And this should be saved as part of individual driver profiles so that each driver knows what to expect and doesn't get a fright. In my humble opinion.

As you may detect, I am not a candidate for FSD :D

I agree with Marc, you should be able to permanently turn that feature off for all drives.

Lane keep "assist" is not a safety critical feature.

At no point in my driving career did someone not keeping their lane though drifting seriously endanger anyone but themselves. I don't consider someone drifting into "MY" lane as safety critical. If you are alert you are not in peoples blind spots and you watch for merging lanes.

At best it should be on only if the drivers hands are off the wheel or AP/FSD is engaged.

Of course this is not a Tesla only problem. A lot of cars have similar features that go wrong in edge cases and cant be disabled, or get re-enabled every drive.

My old VW Sharan engine stop feature comes to mind. Sure it saves a few grams of CO2, but there have been a few occasions where the engine stalls half way coming out onto a round about. Where you rolled just past the line, in drive, the car has stalled. You have to apply brakes, select park, switch off ignition, switch on ignition, select drive, take foot off brake. All the while having the nose of your car in the way of the roundabout.

At least with Tesla there is a chance you can get an update...

How hard a shove do you have to give to over ride both systems? I don't mind it hinting something bad is happening but if I want to drive into a ditch to avoid something it's not detected I'd rather that didn't need super human strength.

It isn't too hard, it is just surprising. Gets your heart rate up.

Good original post. Now I know that if I'm intentionally swerving into the middle of the road, to be aware that the car might have other thoughts. Being aware of the possibility goes a long way towards being comfortable with the car.

I suspect (guess) the underlying problem is that many UK single carriage roads are labeled as "highways" and thus lane departure would kick in. Here in California, I often will drive in the middle of my twisty one lane road on a non blind corner, but the car does not react. But the GPS/car knows these roads are neighborhood roads, not highways.

Tesla using the american word 'Highway' over here just confuses the issue.

I was reading a post where AP nearly hit a lorry on reddit and half the posts were 'AP is only for highways' - but it was clearly a fast road with a central reservation that was one step from a motorway. But not a highway? And here we have single carriage roads labelled as 'Highway' by the software. So does the word even have a single definition?

I'm not suggesting they use the british terms but maybe something more specific like single lane, dual lane, dual lane with central reservation, that kind of thing.

here we have single carriage roads labelled as 'Highway' by the software. So does the word even have a single definition?

This is the main issue with AP and UK as far as I can tell. Single carriageways are basically country lanes by american standards, but for us they are fast roads.

God only know what it will do on a 1 lane road that has both directions of traffic with slight bypass areas in the bushes every few hundred meters. I would certainly not want it to keep to the center of that "lane".

Some Single carriageways are basically one lane roads due to parked cars here.

Tesla using the american word 'Highway' over here just confuses the issue.

I was reading a post where AP nearly hit a lorry on reddit and half the posts were 'AP is only for highways' - but it was clearly a fast road with a central reservation that was one step from a motorway. But not a highway? And here we have single carriage roads labelled as 'Highway' by the software. So does the word even have a single definition?

I'm not suggesting they use the british terms but maybe something more specific like single lane, dual lane, dual lane with central reservation, that kind of thing.
Yeah, it's a bit confusing. Technically in the UK "highway" is a VERY broad term that covers almost any road, including B roads. Pretty much only private roads *aren't* highways in the UK.

Sorry, didn't mean to sow confusion with the American term highway. My point is that the A33 is probably regarded as a major road in the software, and thus eligible for active measures. I was pointing out that I too drive in the middle of the road from time to time on small neighbourhood roads, and the car does not try to do anything. I am guessing that only high speed or designated "major" roads exhibit this behaviour, but that's just a guess. I'll try to see if I can replicate this on a nearby single carriageway major road without a center divider.

Sorry, didn't mean to sow confusion with the American term highway. My point is that the A33 is probably regarded as a major road in the software, and thus eligible for active measures. I was pointing out that I too drive in the middle of the road from time to time on small neighbourhood roads, and the car does not try to do anything. I am guessing that only high speed or designated "major" roads exhibit this behaviour, but that's just a guess. I'll try to see if I can replicate this on a nearby single carriageway major road without a center divider.
Hey no worries!

I'm not sure what the exact stimuli the car was reacting to, but I suspect it was straddling the line while cars were coming in the other direction it didn't like, so it might not be best to test it too hard :)!

Anyone experienced ELDA trying to take over because of patches in the road? I regularly drive down a road which has had long lengths of patching where the tarmac is a different colour for the length of the patch and on three occasions now, ELDA has decided that the patch is a lane marking or the edge of the road and tried to move me into the middle of the road (with associated alerts on the screen and loud bonging noises). Managed to look at the screen when it happened this morning and it had drawn a lane marking in red between the wheels.