Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I stopped updating at 2021.4.18 and I have FSD - you maybe should have too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As cool as it is to be at the forefront of tech I’ve learned over the past 2.5 years that when I found a solid version it’s always best to hold onto that version until it’s massively beneficial to update.

If I update now I get:

- Massively more annoying driver attentiveness monitoring
- cameras recording my body driving even if they say they aren’t
- potential unknown code waiting to be activated limiting my autopilot
- if I go FSD beta I lose radar autopilot, forced auto high beams, speed limited AP, more phantom braking, etc.

What do you guys think? Anyone else not updating until we get legitimate solid FSD versus

As cool as it is to be at the forefront of tech I’ve learned over the past 2.5 years that when I found a solid version it’s always best to hold onto that version until it’s massively beneficial to update.

If I update now I get:

- if I go FSD beta I lose radar autopilot, forced auto high beams, speed limited AP, more phantom braking, etc.

What do you guys think? Anyone else not updating until we get legitimate solid FSD versus
I'm curious how you determine "legitimate solid FSD". Or better yet, do you consider production version "legitimate solid Autopilot/Navigate on Autopilot/Summon/Auto park? I realize my question may sound facetious, but I'm genuinely curious how others determine these thresholds.

Is any of that worth not getting a new visibility network with 18.5% less mean relative error?

The higher mean relative error is obvious when you watch videos of 2021.4.18, although I think it's closer to 19.7% more

If I update now I get:

If they want to limit your autopilot they can just force an update…

Lol everyone is trashing the UI now. All the common controls like wipers, heated seats, defog/defrost, trip meter, tire pressure, etc. are hidden behind menus or no longer a card that stays up.

No heated seats without climate control being on. Just lol.

I swear to god my car is appreciating by refusing to update.

Though to be 100% honest every UI update Tesla has made to their cars has upset folk that liked it the old way.

Reactions: GSP and planetary
Though to be 100% honest every UI update Tesla has made to their cars has upset folk that liked it the old way.
with the hiring power of tesla (a lot of people really would like to work there. for some reason, lol) they should not have any excuse as to why the UI is not flexible. skinnable or whatever you want to call it.

again, the priorities at tesla are not what I (and many others) consider important. they have kind of lost their way. I suspect they are just too big to be effective, at this point. they run on inertia for a while but the lack of meaningful updates and quality updates in the last 2 years, even, have shown me we have passed peak-tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: Musashi6
At some point you'll either have to update or have your car neutered.
I've resisted and if they try to attack my car (yes, any unauthorized changes they make without my permission is an attack, by anyone's definition) then it will get sold and that will be the end of my tesla ownership and experience.

I kind of knew that at some point, they might get ultra evil. so far, nothing is turned off on my car and all things work as well as the day the car was new.

I do have the $10/mo connectivity and I almost never use the phone app for anything (remote warm-up often does not work since the servers can't often wake my car and the app never answers when I'm parked in my usual apartment spot).

the music streaming is pretty good but I can totally live without that and go all usb-audio.

live traffic is not something I ever use.

in short, if they did cut me off, I guess supercharging is the only real benefit to being 'on their network'. I'd miss that but I have other ways to get charged.

tl;dr: I'm not giving in to tesla's 'soft threats' about removing my car from their network if I refuse future updates. if they nerf my car, then it just forces an earlier end to my relationship with tesla. I bought the car to see what the fuss was about (tesla, the model 3, etc). I now have a pretty good feel for what the company is all about, what the owner experience is (good and bad), and I already know this is my first and last tesla. eating the dogfood was useful, but I wont be back for a 2nd helping.

with the hiring power of tesla (a lot of people really would like to work there. for some reason, lol) they should not have any excuse as to why the UI is not flexible. skinnable or whatever you want to call it.

again, the priorities at tesla are not what I (and many others) consider important. they have kind of lost their way. I suspect they are just too big to be effective, at this point. they run on inertia for a while but the lack of meaningful updates and quality updates in the last 2 years, even, have shown me we have passed peak-tesla.
That may be true, but we have also gotten spoiled by the fact that Tesla even bothers to update the UI at all without making us buy a new car (like pretty much every other automaker). I for one am curious to see if other automakers will follow in Teslas footsteps or keep UI updates for new model years.

all others will be going with OTA. for so many reasons (revenue stream will be one that the bean counters will understand).

it takes a lot of effort to get OTA working. like, a good 2 years. ask me know I know ;)

anyway, once they all figure it out on their own stacks, they'll all have it. its not a tesla special by any means.

I do thank tesla for helping popularize the whole concept; but I think they have gotton too big and their key senior talent has all left for greener pastures, and they just can't do what they used to, as a smaller faster company. its a normal thing in corp growth and its one reason why people leave big companies for smaller ones. they all realize that getting even small things done is hard.

I do wish that someone would figure out what linux has had for decades, now (truly decades). you can update the kernel or security or user-land or gui-land and its NOT a lock-step thing (like android is, which I consider totally broken-by-design). tesla chose not to allow updates to things that didn't touch the UI. not for tech reasons, but for their own.

I am hoping that someone eventually 'gets it' and keeps the separation between UI and back-end. people often hate having their UI's stolen and redone on them for no good reason at all. its not like software HAS to be that way, either. in fact, you have to do extra work (!) to make linux into one big monolithic thing instead of the separate update streams that its always been.

• Love
Reactions: smogne41
I don’t think car UI should be changed around like a phone UI for e.g. They had pretty good user interface back in V6-7 even v8 days but for whatever odd reason decided to switch around UI. We build muscle memory and keeping the UI consistent helps keep our eyes on the road.
Lot of new users don’t know but Tesla almost released AP2 without basic cruise control, auto high beams etc and later added via software updates so no they didn’t innovate anything just sold me a car with features on paper ONLY. That old MCU1 handled multiple apps and browser quite decently but decided to get rid of it🤷‍♂️

I still don’t understand the complete waste of space with a giant car cartoon on the left side and that too when parked or charging? They need to make a list of all the functions that a driver will need on the main screen (not buried in submenu’s) and then lay them out with most useful features from left to right end of the display. Bury the least used features in submenu. Give an option to hide AP car animation but stay focused on the road and instead allow another app to take that space.

Do you even use AP or FSD beta ?
I use AP mostly on highway but no FSD/beta (opted out and got rid of beta as it just never worked in any kind of minimal traffic).
Even if you use AP on public street or highway what’s the point of watching car cartoon going straight down the road? What’s the point of watching car making lane changes and showing where it’s landing? Does not manual state that Blind spot is not accurate and we still need to confirm anyway and as widely reported cameras are not accurate with fast approaching cars so what’s the point of showing the landing spot? Even traffic lights I don’t need to see it but just the notification that you are approaching a traffic light is enough (enlarge that notification and show on top of the screen?).
What’s the point of watching car cartoon when parked or charging? Allow browser full screen when parked/charging. If you care to give browser at least make it useful.

Even if you use AP on public street or highway what’s the point of watching car cartoon going straight down the road? What’s the point of watching car making lane changes and showing where it’s landing?
(moderator edit)

I’m not going to try to convince you visualization is so important to FSD that you tubers have spent thousands trying to directly record the screen. If you can’t imagine why it might be important then you will have to experience it …

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Musashi6 and am_dmd