Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I just wasted $7,000 on FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk said "feature complete" by the end of last year, now it is supposedly coming "soon". If it was promised to do that "in the future" when purchased, and it is "feature complete" now (or soon), then it should do as promised to do (in the future) when you purchased it... that is my point. How can you call it "feature complete" full self driving if it doesn't do what FSD was promised to do (in the future) at the time of purchase?

For starters Elon Musk says whatever he thinks without regard to fact. He historically over promises and under delivers, which is weird since people make purchases based on his statements and rarely seem to complain . Also weird that he is rarely held accountable despite leading an SEC registrant.

I hope I don’t offend any fan boys, but you know it’s true. It is unwise to make a purchasing decision based on his promises or mention of future offerings.

Last edited:
I really, really get the feeling that Tesla is misleading people about FSD. I see so many posts from newer members of the community (and on Facebook too) who keep saying things like "FSD makes my daily commute amazing!" or "FSD is so great in traffic" when those people are referring to autopilot which is standard in the car.

I truly believe that a decent percentage of newer Model 3 owners who purchased FSD believe that they had to buy that in order for the car to have autopilot when on the highway. Many will say "well what about auto-lane change" but i find it pretty hard to believe someone would consider that (and a few other features, sure) worth $7K when the base Autopilot functions are 80% of the "magic".

Killing EAP was probably the best business move Tesla had made in a while lol

Musk said "feature complete" by the end of last year, now it is supposedly coming "soon". If it was promised to do that "in the future" when purchased, and it is "feature complete" now (or soon), then it should do as promised to do (in the future) when you purchased it... that is my point. How can you call it "feature complete" full self driving if it doesn't do what FSD was promised to do (in the future) at the time of purchase?

But no one is calling it feature complete. I'm confused as to what you're talking about.

I see so many posts from newer members of the community (and on Facebook too) who keep saying things like "FSD makes my daily commute amazing!" or "FSD is so great in traffic" when those people are referring to autopilot which is standard in the car.

I say that, and I'm referring to auto lane change and NoA, which are not features of autopilot. They are current features of FSD.

Reactions: focher
I say that, and I'm referring to auto lane change and NoA, which are not features of autopilot. They are current features of FSD.

Sure, but I think most people would not consider auto lane change and NOA (fancier auto lane change) being worth $7000.

I decided to go with the FSD for 7k on my LR AWD, instead of paying the 8k premium for the performance model.

That is a common question (should i get FSD or a better trim) and i hate to say it but you can always upgrade later on with one of those two choices but not the other. FSD is always available to add on later with the click of a button, sometimes even for cheaper (i.e early 2019 it went on sale for $2k, less than the price when buying the car, $3k).

That's why I didn't get it. I'm a software guy myself (though not in this particular field) and I know FSD is a freaking hard problem to figure out. I'm not going to plunk down $7000 up front for a feature that may never be ready for use while I still own the car.

If and when they get it working acceptably well while I still plan to hold on to the car for a good bit longer, then I may upgrade to it or purchase a new car with FSD enabled, depending on the circumstances.

I didn't get FSD also, I will wait until it is ironed out. I took the money and got Tesla Stock :), so if they did work it out while I have this car, I am willing to pay more. Auto steer and TACC is good enough for now.

It's not unpredictable at all when you just have to hit the turn signal to make it auto switch lanes and its super easy. Do have to have a hand on the wheel though but.. I don't mind that at all.

You DON'T have to have your hand on the wheel for Autosteer. I drive 47 miles to work and 47 miles back every day and am NOT on Autosteer and TACC for ONLY about 1 mile each way.
I clap to the awesome music from the 14 speakers, sub-woofer and immersive sound the entire way. When it alerts me to touch the steering wheel, I just slide my finger to make the music louder. And once it is at the top volume, it doesn't get any louder. IF I want it softer, I scroll up and down all at once.

When I am NOT in Autosteer and TACC I still barely need to touch the steering wheel as it stays straight while slowly moving forward in traffic on side streets. And the one pedal driving is awesome. Just slows down and HOLDs when stopped. And it gets better in intersections every time we get an software update!
I did not buy FSD as I will probably get a newer car before it is really in place as I have had my car just over a year and have 24,000 miles on it. And I drive mostly on freeways and highways.

I LOVE this car!!! When I actually have to drive it, I am amazed on how well it handles and I leave EVERYONE behind me!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffnReno
It clearly says "in the future." Therefore my comment is correct - they did not tell you it would do it at the time of purchase. They said it would be coming in the future.

WTF? I could have saved 11% by not paying for a FUTURE feature that has a minimal guarantee of a 'greater than 0% chance' of performing as marketed? They could also charge an additional $10K for ‘autonomous flying’ and deliver capability ‘greater than 0% chance’ of doing just that. Hell, had I known that I was paying $6K for something that they may never deliver on, I wouldn’t have also paid the additional $13K for all wheel long rang since I would have adjusted my expectations to just using this as a local commute car and cut over a third of the cost off the car. So, yeah, all that extra profit making revenue came from all of us saps that paid for FSD and the additional features that are really only practical with functional FULL SELF DRIVING — what it’s supposed to do is in the name.

Honest Tesla marketing:

Full Self-Driving Capability

At an undetermined date in the future, there is a greater than 0% chance that the Model 3 will be capable of conducting trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat.

Who would actually pay for that?
Here's the language they use today:
FSD.20200214.jpg

All of this comes with so many caveats to be beyond belief: interchange on navigation has never worked for me, parallel parking & parallel parking rarely work for me, summon doesn't find me anywhere in a parking lot (really). And then note the language at the bottom that essentially says 'give us your seven grand but we might never be able to deliver if there are development problems or if the government doesn't let us do it but we keep your money.'

• Love
Reactions: jfinephilly
Wow. Same time did I.

Yea FSD was available for you to purchase in Nov 2018 for $3K in addition to the $5K that you paid for EAP when you first got the car. If you purchase FSD after taking delivery, then it was $4K except for a brief sale in early 2019 when it was $2K.

Now FSD is $7K since Autopilot is standard, so the overall price for the total package has stayed around $7-9K.

From Sept 2018:
Model3Order.JPG

If you're not interested in increased levels of autonomy and current features of FSD aren't compelling enough, don't get FSD.

If you do get FSD now, you get to use those features that are available now (perhaps not worth $7K by themselves) and you get to finance FSD through the purchase financing of the car. In addition, you get increased autonomy in the future (if Tesla can get it to work well).

If you're interested in autonomy features, but don't think it's worth buying now, you get the use of that $7K for now, but may find it harder to come up with later. But perhaps you'll never think FSD is worth it and that's money saved. But in the meantime, you won't get to use the features that are available (or become available) until you buy. At that point, price might be different (higher or lower).

We bought FSD on our Model 3 knowing the additional features beyond EAP in our model S were vapourware.

My main reason was self-parking. After having our previous cars self-park and the S do it my parking ability has withered.

Of the other features, Tesla is getting there, but UK regulation holds things back. NoA is handy, but feature-light (confirm lane change, ‘amusing’ join motorway attempts, insistence on moving into passing lanes on approach to a slip road, uncertainty about which exit lane to choose). Smart summon is so constrained that it only acts to disappoint when it does anything.

We bought FSD on our Model 3 knowing the additional features beyond EAP in our model S were vapourware.

My main reason was self-parking. After having our previous cars self-park and the S do it my parking ability has withered.

Of the other features, Tesla is getting there, but UK regulation holds things back. NoA is handy, but feature-light (confirm lane change, ‘amusing’ join motorway attempts, insistence on moving into passing lanes on approach to a slip road, uncertainty about which exit lane to choose). Smart summon is so constrained that it only acts to disappoint when it does anything.
Huh? EAP had auto park..

2200CA3E-91C4-46F1-9446-CDF5DA6D9247.png

I took my P3D+ out for a two-hour shakedown ride on the highway and I had so much fun that I realized that I will seldom use FSD - no matter how cool it is. The reason is that this is indeed a driver's car - and I consider myself to be a car snob having owned Porsche, BMW and Benz - and having driven them, shall we say, with spirit.

The thing that was most surprising was an immediate sense of trust. The car is easy to predict, even on wet roads, it corners like a champ and powers out of turns like a supercar. This is to say nothing of the 0-100 mph performance. The car is eager to please, rock-solid and confident. I am looking forward to getting it out to the track to see what 160+ mph feels like

Anyhoo - After I got back from my ride, I noticed two things. 1. I didn't use the FSD features once. 2. My face hurt from smiling.

Now I know longtime Tesla owners are like - "yeah, no $h!t, welcome to the club newbie." But please allow a newbie a few more weeks of fanboyish exuberance before it all settles down and I find something to complain about.
Agreed!!! Coming from a racing background I didn't order any self driving and love the car! To each his own...

I paid $3000 for EAP and I am perfectly happy with that. I use autopilot and driver initiated auto lane change a lot during long highway drives. But I find autopilot to be dangerous on construction zone lane shift. So you always have to be alert and don't over-trust your car.
I almost never use summon because I enjoy the 200 ft walk and I don't enjoy watching the paint dry ;).
NAP is OK 80% of the time. Sometimes it waits too long to merge to lanes for next interchange exit and eventually misses the interchange.
I am in software engineering profession since 1995 and for last three years I am working on Machine Learning space (not in automobile industry). I think FSD is still years away. By the time FSD comes into reality, I will no longer own my current Tesla for sure. To me, spending a dime now on a feature that I will never use is pointless.
I think Tesla should make FSD software transferable. So if you buy the software for your current Tesla and want to use on a new Tesla on the future, you can disable it on one car and enable it on another one.
Tesla can also make FSD software subscription based. So you pay for the service only when you need to use it.
The transferable part, I fully agree with and would probably add to brand loyalty if being able to transfer a feature you never got to use but paid for to another purchase with hopes that it may become usable at some point. Seems like more buyers would be enticed to pay for FSD if it was fully transferable to future purchases.
I will add that one of the reasons I bought my Tesla was the hope of having FSD before I get too old to drive safely as I've witnessed happen in many people. I was willing to pay to support Tesla's effort to reach that goal because I think it will be a worthy feature that everyone will wish they had if and when it ever happens. I don't regret my decision now and don't think I ever will even if it never happens in my life as I believe in putting my money into what I consider to be a worthy endeavor. I do use TACC, AP, NOA, self-park, and summon every chance I get as I think by doing so, I'm adding to the beta program and advancing the usability of FSD to come. YMMV...;-)

Last edited: