Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think the service center overload is finally happening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought Tesla would scale service, but service delays and loaner vehicles are the worst right now than what I’ve experienced in the past 18 months. In DC, it now takes 2 weeks to get into service and the chances of receiving a Tesla loaner are stupid low. One service center near me has 18 loaners but handles 30+ appointments requiring loaners each day. They lose loaners all the time because they’re sold and not replenished. Another service center in my area has 3 Teslas.

I love my car, but have been in service around 10 times in the past year totaling well over a month. I now have to bring it in for numerous repairs (FW door doesn’t work over a certain temp, rear seat stuck in down position, cannot remotely unlock/start, and rear hatch only closes manually)... so I actually need service asap.

Seriously Tesla... With a ton of Model 3s coming off the line, I fear that this is just the beginning... I also think that since the Model 3 will be the most expensive car most people have ever purchased, they’ll have an unrealistic expectation of perfection that will further the service center overload. I certainly hope I’m wrong.

I expect there will be a lag between service overload and the phase-in of various solutions. Let’s hope the lag isn’t too great. Owners who weren’t already rabid Tesla fans won’t endure service delays for very long.
I’m a huge Tesla fan, but I’m losing my patience.

I don’t mind the repeated service trips if I receive a comparable Tesla (despite the hour-long commute each way for me). This prospect has become nearly impossible.

What sucks (and is unacceptable) is for a $100k+ car to be in service for 2-3 weeks, and you get a Chevy Impala loaner. For some reason, the Service Center folks don’t seem to understand this and just look at you like you’re some silver-spooned sloth who’s too good for normal cars. I think they’d have a different opinion making that $2000 monthly payment essentially for a $15,000 loaner car that smells like weed.

I don't doubt what you're saying but as a counterpoint and to show this problem isn't widespread, I took my X and S in for service this week at Rocklin (X on Monday and S on Wednesday). Each car had multiple complex issues to address (2 on the X, 4 on the S). Both days, service queue was very short (like 3 or 4 cars max), service reception area was almost empty, and my cars were repaired and ready for pickup within 24 hours. No Tesla loaners available on Monday, but plenty of non-Tesla loaners available. Not to say the center was quiet. The entire parking lot was flooded with Model 3's for delivery and plenty of foot traffic for deliveries, viewings, test drives, etc.,

I have seen busy before. End of quarter, the service queue can be a week long (i.e. your car will literally sit in the service parking lot for a week before they even start working on it), overflowing service reception area, and stressed out customers coming and going. But at least this week at Rocklin, it was nice and peaceful and I got a laundry list of items taken care of very quickly.

Service Centers aren’t the best approach. They’re expensive to build and maintain, require lots of employees, and in Tesla’s case aren’t even profit centers. Mobile Service is the future:

Tesla’s ‘Mobile Service’ effort improving for Model 3 – trucks already doing 30% of service visits
How does that work with loaners then? If my SA told me that tesla didn't give me a tesla loaner while my 100k car was in service, I would have walked out without even thinking about ordering.

Some of these fixes can't be resolved immediately. If anything, I assume the SC is centralized garage for service loaners and doing deliveries more so than a place where they do service. Though of course it makes sense that they do service there.

Reactions: 1 person
How does that work with loaners then? If my SA told me that tesla didn't give me a tesla loaner while my 100k car was in service, I would have walked out without even thinking about ordering.

Triage system. Anything that doesn't require the car to be lifted up is taken care of via mobile service (fixed in your own home or at work). No loaner needed. This frees up the service center (and the loaner cars) for the major service work that actually needs it.

Triage system. Anything that doesn't require the car to be lifted up is taken care of via mobile service (fixed in your own home or at work). No loaner needed. This frees up the service center (and the loaner cars) for the major service work that actually needs it.
Yes this is reasonable. If the issue is known and can be fixed within a business day, I agree with you. It would definitely free up loaners for people who actually need them.

Yes this is reasonable. If the issue is known and can be fixed within a business day, I agree with you. It would definitely free up loaners for people who actually need them.

Exactly. It's not for the "My Tesla shutdown in the middle of the freeway for no reason" situations. It's for the stuck door handle, 12v battery replacement, the hood isn't perfectly aligned, or the swap/install new wheels or tires situations.

Reactions: TexasRat
The simple fact is that Tesla needs to build more service centers and expand existing ones where it’s practical to do so. I also really like the ranger idea and hope they continue to expand that program.
another idea would be to allow entrepreneurs to open their own places, charge a small premium on the cars, make money on used cars, hold an inventory of cars and parts. This entrepreneur would foot the bills for employees/utilities/service/etc.
We could call these entities... oh I dunno, dealerships?

I don't doubt what you're saying but as a counterpoint and to show this problem isn't widespread, I took my X and S in for service this week at Rocklin (X on Monday and S on Wednesday). Each car had multiple complex issues to address (2 on the X, 4 on the S). Both days, service queue was very short (like 3 or 4 cars max), service reception area was almost empty, and my cars were repaired and ready for pickup within 24 hours. No Tesla loaners available on Monday, but plenty of non-Tesla loaners available. Not to say the center was quiet. The entire parking lot was flooded with Model 3's for delivery and plenty of foot traffic for deliveries, viewings, test drives, etc.,

I have seen busy before. End of quarter, the service queue can be a week long (i.e. your car will literally sit in the service parking lot for a week before they even start working on it), overflowing service reception area, and stressed out customers coming and going. But at least this week at Rocklin, it was nice and peaceful and I got a laundry list of items taken care of very quickly.

I have had good experience with Rocklin too... excellent, in fact.

Reactions: commasign
I’m a huge Tesla fan, but I’m losing my patience.

I don’t mind the repeated service trips if I receive a comparable Tesla (despite the hour-long commute each way for me). This prospect has become nearly impossible.

What sucks (and is unacceptable) is for a $100k+ car to be in service for 2-3 weeks, and you get a Chevy Impala loaner. For some reason, the Service Center folks don’t seem to understand this and just look at you like you’re some silver-spooned sloth who’s too good for normal cars. I think they’d have a different opinion making that $2000 monthly payment essentially for a $15,000 loaner car that smells like weed.

Tesla is trying to operate on the cheap, especially so at the moment.

Need to hope that they can begin to turn a profit and ease up.

I thought Tesla would scale service, but service delays and loaner vehicles are the worst right now than what I’ve experienced in the past 18 months. In DC, it now takes 2 weeks to get into service and the chances of receiving a Tesla loaner are stupid low. One service center near me has 18 loaners but handles 30+ appointments requiring loaners each day. They lose loaners all the time because they’re sold and not replenished. Another service center in my area has 3 Teslas.

I love my car, but have been in service around 10 times in the past year totaling well over a month. I now have to bring it in for numerous repairs (FW door doesn’t work over a certain temp, rear seat stuck in down position, cannot remotely unlock/start, and rear hatch only closes manually)... so I actually need service asap.

Seriously Tesla... With a ton of Model 3s coming off the line, I fear that this is just the beginning... I also think that since the Model 3 will be the most expensive car most people have ever purchased, they’ll have an unrealistic expectation of perfection that will further the service center overload. I certainly hope I’m wrong.

Knocking on my model 3’s wood :), but after making 6 visits to SC in first 6 months of owning our 12/2016 model X, I’ve only needed 2 more visits that were taken care of by mobile service. So hopefully it slows down for you like it did for me; I was really worried at that 6 month mark especially because I never got a loaner.

The mobile service is legit, at least here in San Diego. Only issue with our model 3 we just got was a scratch with interior console, and they said will fix it with the mobile service. It’s even better than having to take our old cars into an ICE dealer so I will give Tesla props for starting to put together great mobile service... also would mention at least here, mobile appointments were available next day (for now, there are tons of model 3s showing up).

It started around 2018. I have not been able to get a Tesla loaner since 2018. Before 2018 I was able to get Model S most of the time, and Model X if I am lucky.

Now I can't even get Tesla loaner. They only have ICE rental from Enterprise now. One time they called me in the morning of my appointment and said they ran out of the ICE rental too. Worst of all, they don't tell you they don't have Tesla any more as if they are just being loaned out. I kept rescheduling my appointment when I requested a Model X loaner when they don't have any. I finally gave up and just asked for a car that can fit 3 car seats. When I asked the valet guy he said they've sold them all and never got replenished. Seriously?

Service centers wouldnt be so overloaded if QC was actually decent in the first place and issues were sorted out in the factory before sending shoddy cars to customers. Isnt this the car that tesla said needs sooo much less service than an ICE? But people are routinely in service centers 2,3,4, 6, times a year.

My car has been in shop for 5 days with nothing done other than attempting to diagnose a bluetooth issue, havent even started on the other six or seven issues. They say they are getting 75 cars a day for service. Seem very overloaded.

Yes, but - I was annoyed at first when my my service center called and asked to reschedule my appt, slipping it two weeks, and worse told me they might not have a Tesla loaner. But then I realized my original appt was June 28 (end of quarter, anyone?). ten days later service center was nice and calm, and I was given a choice between an MB SUV, an Audi small SUV, and a BMW convertible as a loaner. What's to complain? (Even if the Audi Q3 did make me very happy to have my MS back at end of day).
Bracing for delivery of my MX at the Fremont delivery center next month, though. I hear that's a madhouse...

Bracing for delivery of my MX at the Fremont delivery center next month, though. I hear that's a madhouse...

I picked up my Model X at Fremont 2pm Friday and it was actually no big deal. It helps that it was a weekday, I guess, but there weren't that many people there and delivery went quite smoothly. One FWD had to be realigned, so it took about an hour and a quarter to get out of there, but much better than I was expecting.