Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded my Tesla for a Lexus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good for you. I'm drooling at that interior and build quality. I'm still early in the having fun with Tesla stage but I will follow a similar route in about a year or so. Enjoy the Lexus, it really looks awesome inside and out!
I recommend it. I've had a few people comment that they've had their fun with Tesla too but are ready to move on. You're still new here though so wait until you get burned a time or two by the company first ;)

Congrats on the new car OP! looks amazing! Don't mind all the Lexus Hate! They make amazing reliable and beautiful cars! My dad has a 2018 LS and he loves it. How much better do you like it over the S?
They really don't even compare. The Tesla is fun no doubt but the LS outclasses the S, no question. The LS is a cruiser and is so comfy and smooth and full of features, it's a pleasure to drive. Now if they'd just make a BEV/PHEV version it would be perfect.

The Audi eTron can be had with massage seats, 360, night vision, etc, and is still quicker than the LS500. It is the quietest EV I've driven.

I wrote some posts about buying an E-Tron and people just laugh and bring up 0-60 times. It's not the point of that vehicle, at all, but 5.5 seconds for a 3-ton electric is pretty dang fast, especially considering the ICE cars in that segment. People need to chill a little.

Reactions: cucubits
Couldn't watch the video, but the LS is a really nice car. There's no doubt that the general luxury, quietness, and build quality is way above what Tesla delivers - especially compared to your early Model S.
Oh absolutely. I wouldn't really call my 2015 an early build S. I have a 2018 S with it's fair share of smallish issues too.

I'm not a huge fan of where Lexus has gone with styling lately, but I've always thought they lead the pack in luxury and quality. Tesla really doesn't deliver much luxury for the price.
And to me the 2018+ LS looks nicer than the earlier ones. I don't consider the S a luxury car. Premium car, sure.

Does the LS have semi-autonomous driving?
Lexus has CoDrive or something like that. It's similar to Autopilot but not nearly as good. It has lane centering steering assist, adaptive cruise, etc. so kind of like a "lite" version of AP really.

I would argue that the cabin of the LS500 is actually quieter than the Model S....especially early ones. The motor of the S may be quieter than the V8 in the LS, but road and wind noise are much higher in the S.
Yep. It has active noise canceling, acoustic side glass, roof shades, etc. Definitely quieter.

And realistically, we should be able to admit that EVs aren't the end-all best decision for every lifestyle. Frankly, if you drive a lot - especially farther than your home charging can get you round-trip - the Supercharging network can be a huge pain (unpredictable charging, lines, etc).
I lived with only L2 charging for 4.5 years because Tesla didn't put any Superchargers in here until Dec/2019. Maybe I should have waited to buy a Tesla, too late now.

I take my wife's car on longer trips, because it's just simply far more convenient to pull into any gas station, and be on my way for another 400 miles in about 4 minutes. I've been in far too many situations with my P90D where I'm rolling in "on fumes" because a supercharger was running slow and I hit unexpected traffic.
Good for you for not being a completely blind fanboy.

Also, I believe @InternetDude had a 2013 Model S 85....which did 0-60 in 5.4 seconds. The LS does it in 4.6 seconds......so, no real loss there.
My 2015 85D was rated for 4.5 seconds I'm pretty sure. The LS is rated for 4.6, correct. Off the line the Tesla pulls harder obviously but the LS is no slouch, V6 twin turbos 416hp etc.

The guy made an honest video about his decision process. His points were reasonable. Hopefully Tesla can improve the luxury of the Model S to win back customers like this.
He has an ax to grind with Tesla and is trying to provoke and sell with his video. Wait until he seasons with his Toyota...they have troubles also, just like all manufacturers including Tesla. We will happily welcome him back!

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits
I like LS but it reminds me too much of a Boat like the old Cadillacs did it is very comfy and all but you explained all the feature your LS has in less than 5 min video :) I start showing people features on my Model S and it keeps going and going and going like the energizer bunny and than there is an update and there are more features :)
LOL yeah it does drive like a big ol' smooth Caddy when it's in comfort mode. Oddly I'm good with just slower cruising. If I want to go fast I've got another vehicle I can take. I can make a longer video if you want but I got enough hate on the video I did LOL. I just did it to prove that not everyone stays with Tesla once they switch.

Reactions: MrKool
I saw your video dissing Tesla and selling Toyota (Lexus)! We will be happy to welcome you back...:)
As I said, grass is always greener on the other side...until it isn't. It will be nice when Toyota actually produces a competitive BEV. And please Toyota, get rid of the ugly..
Eh I still have another S (for now...). I would love for Toyota/Lexus put more energy into PHEV / BEV vehicles (no pun intended).

He has an ax to grind with Tesla and is trying to provoke and sell with his video. Wait until he seasons with his Toyota...they have troubles also, just like all manufacturers including Tesla. We will happily welcome him back!
Tesla burned me a few times. The cars are pretty awesome but I can't say the same for the company. I still have a P100D S (for now...)

That's the real crime here. Model S debuted 8 years ago and Toyota has nothing in response. Not to mention their abhorrent support of the administration's emissions rules..
Toyota has always been slow as a snail to adopt new tech. I drove Prius / Plugin Prius for 7 years before going to Tesla. If Toyota had something similar back then I wouldn't have left. Now 5 years later they still don't have anything. I am optimistic for the Rav4 Prime though. If they can actually produce them I think they'll sell lots of them. That's a step in the right direction.

Eh I still have another S (for now...). I would love for Toyota/Lexus put more energy into PHEV / BEV vehicles (no pun intended).
Me too! Tesla needs some real competition. I also have been effected by #Rapidgate and #Chargegate but Tesla is still the best BEV being manufactured. I do not agree with what Tesla is doing with there customers regarding this. That is why there is a lawsuit to define boundaries and to make customers whole. Hopefully Tesla customers will prevail because it will have an influence on all customers and automakers. Not unlike the lawsuit against Nissan with Leaf battery problems. Tesla is going to improve and so is Toyota and the rest. As far as the Toyota grill being ugly...I think my two Leafs are as well..

Keep an open mind. Toyota could lose you and Tesla might seduce you back! :)

Last edited:
Yep, tell your Lexus salesman IWANTARELIABLEWELLBUILTCAR
Yeah - so I didnt bother with a crappy salesman and used my Tesla code

"IWANTARELIABLEWELLBUILTCARTHATHASTHEHIGHESTCUSTOMERSATISFACTIONANDDOESNTEMITPOLLUTANTSTHATCONTRIBUTETOGLOBALWARNINGANDHARMMYCHILDRENSHEALTHANDHASTHEBESTTECHNOLOGYINANYCARAVAILABLEANDHASSUPERCARLEVELSOFACCELERATIONANDANDAND"

to buy my 3rd Tesla because, well I havent really had any significant problems with them and it is just a joy not ever having to go to gas stations, and to jump into my pre-warmed car each morning, and I see now that if I ever do need service I can just open up my app and choose a time at my local SC at my convenience.

I did have a Lexus once, an IS250 - inherited as it a company car for a while, needed service 3 times in 9 months as an engine warning light kept coming on and each time I had to haul over to the dealer and got a Corolla as a loaner for days at a time. It was slow as a turtle with narcolepsy, the interface was awful, and it drank gas like it was going out of fashion (it is) - but fair comment it was quite well put together.

Reactions: AustinP
That's the real crime here. Model S debuted 8 years ago and Toyota has nothing in response.
Not to mention their abhorrent support of the administration's emissions rules..
In Japan, typically, you get Life Employment with a company (This is changing a little bit now with the new generation of workers)

So basically Japanese car manufacturers need to continue making ICE or Hybrid cars until the current generation of workers get retired
because the car companies cannot fire the workers with only mechanical skills. Teaching them new electrical engineering skills would be too expensive.

In the mean time, Toyota and Lexus are making "Self Charging" Hybrids cars and Nissan is making "e-Power" serial hybrids with a 1 kWh battery.
This is basically BS.

Only a companies like Tesla, don't have conflict of interest and build only BEV.

The Fuel Cells cars that Toyota and Lexus are making is DOA. It will be astronomically expensive to build a new Hydrogen infrastructure
with Hydrogen stations every 200 miles all over the country.

Congratulations on the new Lexus! I'm super jealous and the LS Hybrid has been on the top of my shopping list ever since my warranty expired. I guess I'm getting old and want something less flashy, more comfortable, and more reliable. Unfortunately, nobody makes a full BEV luxury executive type car yet. The cost of operation for EV is hard to beat. Waiting for updated Model S or a major repair expense....