Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I traded my Tesla for a Lexus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too! Tesla needs some real competition. I also have been effected by #Rapidgate and #Chargegate but Tesla is still the best BEV being manufactured. I do not agree with what Tesla is doing with there customers regarding this. That is why there is a lawsuit to define boundaries and to make customers whole. Hopefully Tesla customers will prevail because it will have an influence on all customers and automakers. Not unlike the lawsuit against Nissan with Leaf battery problems. Tesla is going to improve and so is Toyota and the rest. As far as the Toyota grill being ugly...I think my two Leafs are as well..

Keep an open mind. Toyota could lose you and Tesla might seduce you back! :)

They will get some when the Mustang Mach-E comes out. Looks to be a very nice car.

He has an ax to grind with Tesla and is trying to provoke and sell with his video. Wait until he seasons with his Toyota...they have troubles also, just like all manufacturers including Tesla. We will happily welcome him back!
You have it twisted. I drove Toyota for 7 years before going to Tesla, I know what I'm getting in to. I was still a fanboy when you signed up for this forum, I've been here since 2014, and bought 2 Teslas.

Yeah - so I didnt bother with a crappy salesman and used my Tesla code "IWANTARELIABLEWELLBUILTCARTHATHASTHEHIGHESTCUSTOMERSATISFACTIONANDDOESNTEMITPOLLUTANTSTHATCONTRIBUTETOGLOBALWARNINGANDHARMMYCHILDRENSHEALTHANDHASTHEBESTTECHNOLOGYINANYCARAVAILABLEANDHASSUPERCARLEVELSOFACCELERATIONANDANDAND" ...
If you actually gave a crap about climate change you wouldn't attempt to shame people for buying non-EVs, you'd go to parenting forums and shame people for having kids -- Want to fight climate change? Have fewer children and https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/emissions-reduction-choices-1.4204206-- a much better use of your energy I'd say.

• Disagree
Reactions: jjvan and MXLRplus
Congratulations on the new Lexus! I'm super jealous and the LS Hybrid has been on the top of my shopping list ever since my warranty expired. I guess I'm getting old and want something less flashy, more comfortable, and more reliable. Unfortunately, nobody makes a full BEV luxury executive type car yet. The cost of operation for EV is hard to beat. Waiting for updated Model S or a major repair expense....
Thanks, the car is amazing. Extremely comfortable, smooth riding. Yes less flashy but more classy too. Absolutely more reliable.

I wrote some posts about buying an E-Tron and people just laugh and bring up 0-60 times. It's not the point of that vehicle, at all, but 5.5 seconds for a 3-ton electric is pretty dang fast, especially considering the ICE cars in that segment. People need to chill a little.

The Audi is not what you'd consider lethargic in traffic. I does have a lot of zip. The Tesla Model X at 50% SOC is perhaps just a bit quicker.

So yeah I got rid of my Model S and traded it on a Lexus LS500.

Congrats on trading your Tesla for the Lexus. Clearly your requirements (no range anxiety on trips you take, better build quality etc) were more important to you, hence it made sense to trade in the Tesla.

Did these requirements change over the period you had your Tesla?

What were the reasons you bought a Tesla in the first place?

When I bought my Model S, I knew what "compromises" I would be faced with and accepted them (specifically the time it takes to charge the vehicle while on trips - mitigated by stopping for a food/washroom break, so not a big compromise). I also knew that the quality of the fit and finish is not up to Lexus standards, I was ok with that (I currently still have a Lexus GS400 that I'm trying to sell).

What I knew for sure that no other car can touch a Tesla on is the EV drivetrain. The instantaneous and relentless thrust at ANY speed, butter smooth power delivery, 10% fuel cost compared to a comparable sized ICE car, significantly less maintenance etc. All those factors are still true from my perspective (may not be true for others as the quality is hit and miss). I certainly don't miss the $70 gas tank fill ups every 10 days, the expensive synthetic oil changes, etc.

I also wish Lexus would build a proper EV that can compete with Tesla.

Personally I find it interesting and informative to see what people are buying after their first Tesla. I know I'm seriously considering a non tesla vehicle to replace my Model S given that Tesla has capped my and thousands of other older car's supercharging speed by more than half with a software update
Do I love my Tesla? Yes I do. Am I a Tesla Fanboy? Nope. Will I replace my S with another Tesla? Probably not. Unless no other manufacturer steps up to the plate with an EV that offers a car reasonably close to what Tesla does. Hmm maybe the next one will be a Tesla.

I understand the decision and there are many compromises to owning a Tesla. Service being my main complaint of late. Maybe followed by interior noise.

The only thing I would say is that the Tesla you upgraded from was an old one. I agree about the many luxuries you upgraded going to the LS500 except I'd like to point out the suspension is night and day different on the Raven model from the older Tesla's. The range of the newest cars are improved a decent amount from the Teslas even a year ago. Other than that, no arguments from me.

You have it twisted. I drove Toyota for 7 years before going to Tesla, I know what I'm getting in to. I was still a fanboy when you signed up for this forum, I've been here since 2014, and bought 2 Teslas.

You are speculating about me. I was building electric vehicles and owned manufactured BEV long before you, I presume. I still own many vehicles and the majority are ice, but all daily drivers are BEV. I would no longer buy an ice or a hybrid for a daily driver. You were, and still are a Toyota fanboy. :) I am an auto enthusiast that hopes for better cars that don't pollute the world.

Last edited:
I have no gripe with @InternetDude at all. I am a former Lexus owner, my wife currently owns an RX350 and your new Lex is gorgeous. What do I miss about my Lexus (full disclosure - I once returned a Lexus as a Lemon, when I lived in NJ but that was more of a 1 off)....in general, Lexus reliability is untouchable. Their attention to detail is superb. Service is exceptional. I miss it all.

Do I miss it enough to ever give up my S? Not a snowball’s chance in hell. My Lexus was a GREAT car, my Model S is my DREAM car. Do I expect you or anyone else to agree? Of course I don’t. It’s why you might like chocolate ice cream and I like vanilla.

For other Tesla fanboys like me, I embrace the idea that other car companies do some things better than Tesla. There is nothing I would like more than for Tesla to improve in areas where they need improvement. Likewise...the day Lexus can put out a viable electric option to the Model S, I would be more than happy to give it a try. I am not loyal to brands but loyal to ideas.

Well, some people are very attached to luxury. So car manufacturer in this market, year after year, added new embellishments.
But all those companies don't seem to care about the greenhouse gas emissions released during the combustion of fossil fuels.

Even some companies in an unethical behavior forced their engineers to make a way to fake the diesel emission tests.
Those companies are only focus on making profit, which is understandable, but they behave like ostrich putting their head into the ground.

The main obstacle for people for getting an EV is talking about range and charging issues, especially when going for a long trip.
And the traditional image of an EV is a golf cart in the US, and a milk float in Europe, which are both slow and have limited range.

We should had started to replace ICE a long time ago with EVs, but car manufacturers and oils companies do everything to drag their feet.
And any car manufacturers have conflict of interests.

To confront all those obstacles, Tesla started from scratch and focused not on luxury but on performance and efficiency.
So Tesla put all its money in producing cars with the best battery design and developing the best Supercharger network.

If anyone is happy burning gas when other options are available, this is a personal choice.

Note: I just think that if people responsible don't show the example, nobody will try changing any status quo.

As an example, I had to go to the airport today, I used the electric subway train.
My coworker used Uber, he spent ten time more, who care the company paid, but burned one gallon of gas.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2020 Tesla Model S LR to replace my 2010 LS600hL. I've been a long-time Lexus fan, and my LS600hL was really the pinnacle of Lexus luxury refinement. It had a 5.0L V8 engine PLUS a hybrid system to provide nearly V12 power and refinement. It was incredibly quiet, smooth, and powerful (for an ICE car). In a lot of ways, it was a way nicer car than my new Tesla (fit and finish, leather quality, reliability, etc.).

All that being said, I'm completely happy with my new Tesla, and wouldn't want to switch back. The tech seriously blows the Lexus away, and it's really not a fair fight. The Lexus had a primitive Lane Keep Assist, Radar cruise, Driver Attention Monitor, etc., which for it's time (2010) was pretty revolutionary. But the Tesla has taken these things and perfected them in a quite seamless package.

It's like when I got my first iPhone... I didn't understand why anyone would want just a simple screen for a phone, but I very quickly "got it." Same thing with my Tesla, and I love how the car will be constantly updated as time progresses. Just the opposite of my Lexus.

I love the power and silence of the Tesla, and I am so glad to have no need for oil changes, gas station visits, etc. I'm definitely not a fan of the recent Lexus styling choices, and find the Model S style (8 years old) to be way nicer looking than the 2020 LS500... Just my 2 cents...

Give me a Tesla with MBENZ / Lexus Quality, and i'll be all over spending that ridiculous price tag again for another P100D class.

Otherwise, yeah, my next car if its a tesla, will most likely be treated almost as a disposable, probably a Model 3, Model Y, CyberTruck, or a low to mid-low level Model S.

But i probably will not get another $100k Tesla, unless major changes are made to both the customer service, and company management.

The LS is a great car, I wouldn't say it's a Buick. They know how to make silent, well crafted interiors. The LS interior materials (not the tech) are way nicer and crafted. And it's super reliable too. But, then again, it's a boring car compared to a Model S. Different demographics are being targeted by both, even though the pricing is "about" the same (fully loaded LS vs. Model S LR+).

I found the Model S sadly lacking in excitement. The driving experience was BLAH, to say the least, and it was like I was driving a soft pillow in a cloud. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

Standard Model S definitely lacks the excitement of a Performance Model S... Especially with Ludicrous.

My neighbors 2017 MS 75D is a great car... but definitely not exhilarating like my Ludicrous 2015 MS P85D by a long shot. IMHO "non-performance" MS is still more sportier than a Lexus sedan but the Performance MS stomps Lexus "performance" sedans... and the car magazines agree.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce
Standard Model S definitely lacks the excitement of a Performance Model S... Especially with Ludicrous.

My neighbors 2017 MS 75D is a great car... but definitely not exhilarating like my Ludicrous 2015 MS P85D by a long shot. IMHO "non-performance" MS is still more sportier than a Lexus sedan but the Performance MS stomps Lexus "performance" sedans... and the car magazines agree.
The 2016 and up 75D will still stomp on all Lexus cars including the F versions (not just the cosmetic F sport models).

Reactions: Evoforce