Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to change the default headlight position on/off.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
By default, the headlights are set to Auto. And for 2 years I have been going in there and turning them off as part of my drive-the-car procedure, every single time.

Over the last few weeks I decided to see what would happen if I left it alone. If the daylight is bright enough, while leaving the headlights on Auto, the headlights will turn off when I put the car in gear.

But if I'm parked facing away from the sun or in enough shade, the headlights stay on, and won't turn off even in bright light.

I hate this.

Make the headlight setting less sensitive, or better yet, allow me to make OFF my default headlight position. I'm a big boy, I can turn my headlights on all by myself when needed.

I raised this to Tesla back in 2018... thus far crickets. Would be super useful if the car didnt forget lights OFF.

Another useful feature would be location based Display mode. Just as it can switch from Day to Night/Dark mode now, based on local time and sun raise/set info - it would be great if just like folding mirrors - it would be possible to set Display mode based on location.

Not to be an a**, but why do you care if the lights turn on when you turn the car on?

Personally I love the fact that I don't have to worry about any of the settings in this car when driving. I basically never have to mess with the lights, wipers, climate, garage door opener when driving. The only thing I change on a regular basis is the radio station. The automation is one of my favorite things, and is one of the main things that I tell people about when they ask me what I like about my Tesla.

Because we don't want them on, at all, until we do. Not even on unlock if we can avoid it. Purely a preference, sense of control and perhaps a sign of old age (roll up windows and all).

Same difference as with limiting background apps and bloatware running on phones, computers etc or not having the lights turn on at home unless I want them to.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I am so sick of driving under a shadow of a tree on a bright sunny day and having the lights remain on for a few miles. There must be something wrong with the sensor calibration.
That plus when on, they drain-waste at least 1.21 jigawatts of electricity, messing with my 12V SoC and lifetime Watt-hours/mile manhood measurement. Normally, I need a nuclear reaction to generate that kind of output, sheesh.

Reactions: Msjulie and XLR82XS
I am in the same boat, it should remember the off setting for those folks who find it extremely annoying that on a bright day they remain on when starting a drive. Also going under an under pass the turn on, then remain on for a long time. Its dumb. Auto is available for the auto folks. Btw cycling of lights is bad, it will reduce the life of the led and the transistor switches that control it, not that it should matter much, but at 200k if you have to replace the head lamp you wont be happy.

It should remain off if selected off.

Reactions: Perscitus
I am so sick of driving under a shadow of a tree on a bright sunny day and having the lights remain on for a few miles. There must be something wrong with the sensor calibration.
Then take it in to be fixed!

My headlights are always in Auto. They start ON in the garage, and are OFF by the time I hit the end of the driveway. When I go into a tunnel, they turn ON almost immediately, and are OFF again within a few seconds of exiting.

IMO, this is one of their best implementations of automation! OTOH, the Auto Bright lights need a LOT of work...

Then take it in to be fixed!

My headlights are always in Auto. They start ON in the garage, and are OFF by the time I hit the end of the driveway. When I go into a tunnel, they turn ON almost immediately, and are OFF again within a few seconds of exiting.

IMO, this is one of their best implementations of automation! OTOH, the Auto Bright lights need a LOT of work...

This is great for the auto function. Off should stay off. Its a choice.

Reactions: Perscitus
The headlights on my new model Y default back to AUTO at the beginning of each drive (it is explained as normal function in the owner's manual). However, there are actually situations when drivers are forbidden to operate headlights at night (military bases, astronomy star parties), and need to be in full control of their headlights at all times. Therefore keeping the OFF setting as default is necessary for some drivers. I'm a newbie, and unable to find a mechanism to submit such feedback to Tesla engineers. How does one accomplish this?

Reactions: kailm