Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More bad changes to the UI, headlight controls.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the OP:

Tesla has changed the default settings so many times over the course of the years I’ve owned a few of them. Frankly, it drives me freaking crazy.

I have a really hard time with not being allowed to configure the car in the manner that I wanted it configured. The biggest beef I have is that they turned off the ability to allow you to throttle down regenerative braking. Drives me crazy. (people here get annoyed that I have an issue with this, but I don’t like the feather the throttle are given that I still drive gasoline powered car…. Etc) currently, with full self driving beta you can no longer turn off the switch lanes automatically Setting. So that update is actually turning out to be hazardous…. Once again, Tesla knows better than you do. It isn’t gonna let you turn it off permanently… And it still ignores you even when the setting is turned off.)

Anyway, as others have said, S3XY buttons are your friend.

At least on my car the regenerative breaking setting is back. I noticed it when I was looking for Jack mode yesterday.

At least on my car the regenerative breaking setting is back. I noticed it when I was looking for Jack mode yesterday.
Holy crap! Lemme Look. Oh my M3 it remained there during the entire time I own the car. When I got a model why I want to turn it off one day as to not crash my passengers because it can be a little rough on some people at 100%, only to find that it didn’t exist anymore.

Nope, MYP 22 doesn’t have the ability to adjust the regenerative braking.
What version are you on? There was a leak that it would return this year but I wasn't able to find what version.

What version are you on? Do you see the message in the release notes that mention it returning?

What software version are you on, what year/model car do you have and what region are you in? I have a ’23 MYLR and never had that option. My ‘21 MYLR didn’t have it either.
Never mind. I see you answered in a previous post. It looks like the software update only brings it back for cars that previously had it enabled at some point. Cars that never had it seem to not get it after the latest updates. No big deal though. My S3XY Buttons give me more granular control anyway, and are easier to access than needing to perform multiple taps on the display.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Never mind. I see you answered in a previous post. It looks like the software update only brings it back for cars that previously had it enabled at some point. Cars that never had it seem to not get it after the latest updates. No big deal though. My S3XY Buttons give me more granular control anyway, and are easier to access than needing to perform multiple taps on the display.
I was under the impression that the setting was never taken away from cars that were delivered with it. Is this wrong? Did anybody actually have it initially and have it taken away????

I actually thought that this returned regen setting ended up just being for some (non-US) markets. Can somebody that knows better confirm?

I've always said I hate having the headlights on automatically and we should be able to set the default for them. For over 5 years, I always turn the headlights off when I get in the car and go.

But Tesla has made changes to the UI for the headlight controls. Now, if you turn the headlights off, then shift from Park into gear, it turns them back on.

Then, if you shift back into Park, even if you don't get out of the car, then shift back into gear, it turns the headlights on again!

Push is gonna come to shove here. If they don't stop trying to force headlights on all the time, I have got a way to fix them once and for all. I'll go into the headlight wiring and connect up a manual switch and run it inside the car. Then those damn headlights will NEVER be on unless I flip the switch! That would make it easier, I wouldn't have to go into the touchscreen to turn them off each and every single time I go to drive somewhere.

No software change can beat that.

So give us a way to choose our default setting, Tesla. I refuse to have headlights on in the daytime!

And for those who haven't read my posts on the headlights before, I don't want them on in the daytime because I don't want them on in the daytime. That's my whole reasoning and logic for this. I drove my 1971 Plymouth Valiant for 6 years, as well as other old cars, and I was always able to turn the headlights on when they were needed. I don't need to have Big Brother forcing the headlights on for me.
Lmao you should do it post the pics with results…

Well, if computer buses get messed up by my cutting into the wiring, then maybe some opaque plastic that sticks over the headlights would do, although that would be a real pain over time. Putting them on and taking them off, dirt messing up the stickiness, etc.

I want full manual control of my headlights. They are on when I say, they are off when I say, the setting does not automatically change itself every time I get in / out of the car, etc. Just like in my old 1971 Plymouth Valiant.

I drove that and many other old Chrysler cars for many years, and I never had an issue with forgetting to turn my headlights on at night.

Well, if computer buses get messed up by my cutting into the wiring, then maybe some opaque plastic that sticks over the headlights would do, although that would be a real pain over time. Putting them on and taking them off, dirt messing up the stickiness, etc.

I want full manual control of my headlights. They are on when I say, they are off when I say, the setting does not automatically change itself every time I get in / out of the car, etc. Just like in my old 1971 Plymouth Valiant.

I drove that and many other old Chrysler cars for many years, and I never had an issue with forgetting to turn my headlights on at night.
Arguing that you want a Tesla to be like a Plymouth Valiant is not a compelling argument.

Any thoughts on the lack of key locks and window cranks?

I'm saying I want the Tesla to be like a Plymouth, I am saying that it was never an issue in the Plymouth so why don't we have the same options in the Tesla? Somehow that is different

And I still want my odometer tenths digit back. What's Tesla's reason for taking it out, and how is that a good thing? I don't think it is, and it does cause some navigation problems when I am trying to measure or go short distances once in a while.

I'm saying I want the Tesla to be like a Plymouth, I am saying that it was never an issue in the Plymouth so why don't we have the same options in the Tesla? Somehow that is different

And I still want my odometer tenths digit back. What's Tesla's reason for taking it out, and how is that a good thing? I don't think it is, and it does cause some navigation problems when I am trying to measure or go short distances once in a while.

You are still saying you want the Tesla to be like a Plymouth, you want the "same options". You didn't say you only want a specific set of options that you deem superior, now that is a person to person thing that no manufacturer will be able to make everyone happy...just like now.

How is it a good thing?... Well how is it a BAD thing? So here is a question, why are automatic headlights a BAD thing?

You are measuring short distances with your...car? It isn't the 70's anymore, use google earth or maps to measure distance...or a health app on your phone or any number of other ways.

You are still saying you want the Tesla to be like a Plymouth, you want the "same options". You didn't say you only want a specific set of options that you deem superior, now that is a person to person thing that no manufacturer will be able to make everyone happy...just like now.

How is it a good thing?... Well how is it a BAD thing? So here is a question, why are automatic headlights a BAD thing?

You are measuring short distances with your...car? It isn't the 70's anymore, use google earth or maps to measure distance...or a health app on your phone or any number of other ways.
Automatic headlights are a very bad thing in some very specific circumstances.

Three that come to mind are:

Astronomy viewing parties. You are required to not have your headlights on for your entire approach and departure from the site, and while parked or you will ruin everyone's night vision. Tesla's is completely unusable for any amateur astronomer in it's stock form.

Drive in movies. Yes they still exist.

Camping. Hard to avoid accidentally blasting all the nearby sites if you need to do anything with the car after dark. Even if you have the auto headlights set to 'off' the car will still flash lights if you open it after it is asleep after a while.

The first is clearly a small edge-case, the last absolutely not. But even small edge cases are bad, since edge cases are much more common than most people think, just everyone has different ones. EVERYONE is an edge case. There needs to be a way to open, sit in, and drive the car (perhaps below a certain speed) with the headlights assured to be OFF.

Reactions: ScottNY