Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to clear up some confusion on CHAdeMo Adapter Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their has been some confusion on the CHAdeMo adapter Pricing. I have confirmed with Tesla sales, that as long as the vehicle you are using the adapter on, has Supercharging enabled, their are NO other "activation" fees required. So, no "CHAdeMo activation fee". Just the cost ($1000) for the adapter, and the cost to enable the supercharging (where applicable).
Information Source: Hugh from Tesla Sales .

There was some chatter about this in the CHAdeMo thread* regarding sharing adapters. I spotted it yesterday but am too lazy to link to it now. The posit was that sharing adapters wouldn't work if activation was required and it looked like it was.

But islandbayy has done us a favor by verifying that there is no such activation fee.

PS * it may have been in one of the regional forums as well where there were some people solicitating for partners in ordering and sharing the adapter.

PPS: it was one of those threads and islandbayy already posted within it. - CHAdeMo Adapter, any one in S/E WI want to split the cost?

Thanks for passing along the official Tesla clarification, islandbayy.

Yes, there was some confusion in one or more of the threads. I, too, found the confusion somewhat surprising because I originally read the Tesla language as meaning what is posted in the OP. But then again, I've been reading Tesla speak over two years now (and still interpret things "incorrectly" at times).

Thanks for passing along the official Tesla clarification, islandbayy.

Yes, there was some confusion in one or more of the threads. I, too, found the confusion somewhat surprising because I originally read the Tesla language as meaning what is posted in the OP. But then again, I've been reading Tesla speak over two years now (and still interpret things "incorrectly" at times).

But is it clear that a particular CHAdeMO adapter can be used on more than one car? Or are they associated with particular cars?

The way I read the statement in the OP is that as long as Supercharging is enabled any Model S can use a given CHAdeMO adapter. Again, if there are 10 Model S parked in a row and all have supercharging enabled you could walk the adapter from one to another and use it. At least that is the way I read
That as long as the vehicle you are using the adapter on, has Supercharging enabled, their are NO other "activation" fees required.

Had a nice thought..... This means, a business that would love to have a Supercharger at their location, but would never happen, could install a CHAdeMo station (About 15k after tax credits and subsidies), and could secure the adapter to the station (the handle loop in the adapter would allow a security chain or cable to secure it). Thus, business or individual would now have a "low powered" supercharge (up to 50 Kilowatt).

Had a nice thought..... This means, a business that would love to have a Supercharger at their location, but would never happen, could install a CHAdeMo station (About 15k after tax credits and subsidies), and could secure the adapter to the station (the handle loop in the adapter would allow a security chain or cable to secure it). Thus, business or individual would now have a "low powered" supercharge (up to 50 Kilowatt).

Excellent idea.

What's more, that station would be more useful as it would be able to charge other EV's.