Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to take 2nd key fob on trip as a backup. Where can I put it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battery is not needed to start the car, just place the fob in the cup holder it will be detected (passive RF ID)
Ah, yes. How did I forget about that?
So, if you must have a backup fob inside the car, take the battery out and hide the fob VERY well (not in the cupholder). If a thief finds it, they can drive the car, which is a worse nightmare than being unable to drive because you lost your only fob. It is advisable to just take very good care of your main fob and leave the other hidden at home if it's not given to someone else to keep.

The battery is not needed to start the car, just place the fob in the cup holder it will be detected (passive RF ID)

I tested this and was unsuccessful. I'm not convinced it's a passive RF device. I think the cupholder trick just lets a fob with a weak battery work by placing it close to the receiver antenna. Can anyone else confirm or deny???

I tested this and was unsuccessful. I'm not convinced it's a passive RF device. I think the cupholder trick just lets a fob with a weak battery work by placing it close to the receiver antenna. Can anyone else confirm or deny???
Page 7 of the owner's manual has instructions. "To drive Model S, place the key against the center console, immediately below the 12V power outlet, then press and hold the brake pedal to turn Model S on."

Don't know if this has been covered before but as a backup I'd like to take the second key fob on a trip. I really don't want to carry it around all the time. I tried putting it in the frunk but she still allowed me to start and put in gear. I was hoping for the "key fob not in car" warning but no such luck. I'm sure I could take the battery out or buy a lead box on Ebay and put it in the frunk but that is going a little past where I want to be. Anyone have anything on this???

When i put my fob in the trunk i was locked out of the car ... It was parcel with my groceries. Had to open the car with my phone ... I saw told this was a "dead" zone.

Go to a computer store and ask for an anti-static bag.

Anti-static bags are NOT very conductive, and are not very effective RF shields. They're intentionally only very slightly conductive in order to reduce the risk of discharge when you put the electronics in the bag. Their very slight conductivity is all that is needed to prevent the buildup of static charge.

A better approach would be to simply wrap the fob in tin foil.

Page 7 of the owner's manual has instructions. "To drive Model S, place the key against the center console, immediately below the 12V power outlet, then press and hold the brake pedal to turn Model S on."

Yes, but what I'm saying is that I tried this with the battery removed and it didn't work. I also tried putting it up on the designated spot on the windshield to see if I could unlock the car, and it didn't work there either with the battery removed. My conclusion was that it is not a passive device and those locations simply help the car receive a weak signal from a fob with a weak battery. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this.

Joyrider 1: Dude, there's a Tesla!
Joyrider 2: Hey, Model S owners hide a spare key in their car.
Joyrider 1: Any idea where?
Joyrider 2: Usually in the trunk, I read it on the car forum.
Joyrider 1: Grab that rock....

Those of us who don't hide spare keys in our cars profusely thank those of you that do for making Teslas a joyriding target by publicizing the fact. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, on a more serious note, some of you guys can be easily identified and you've got VINs and descriptions of your car in your signature lines. Nothing like advertising yourselves to potential thieves.

I'm thinking of putting FOB into a little bag with velcro and putting it underneath the car.....
I don't see that working for long with the weight of the fob and bag (however small) and movement of the car eventually shaking it loose. Depending on where it's placed, there may be other things like rocks and moisture that could cause damage or failure of the velcro. Maybe inside one of the body panels would be good (I'll leave it to you to find out how, but I know it can be done for at least the trunk door).

I will assume the purpose of carrying both fobs on a trip is in case you lose one. Although you can unlock with your cell phone app, when you went swimming you did not take your cell phone. If you lost your fob and no phone...does you no good to have the second fob in the car, with or without a battery.
I will carry the two fobs, but have them separate from each other, both out of the car.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that I tried this with the battery removed and it didn't work. I also tried putting it up on the designated spot on the windshield to see if I could unlock the car, and it didn't work there either with the battery removed. My conclusion was that it is not a passive device and those locations simply help the car receive a weak signal from a fob with a weak battery. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this.

The Mississauga SC told me those locations only work with a battery. So you are right, it is not a passive device, and requires a battery.
Even with a lot of RF interference (like the parking lot by the CBC building), you may need to put your fob (with a brand new battery) in the locations you described.

Joyrider 1: Dude, there's a Tesla!
Joyrider 2: Hey, Model S owners hide a spare key in their car.
Joyrider 1: Any idea where?
Joyrider 2: Usually in the trunk, I read it on the car forum.
Joyrider 1: Grab that rock....

Those of us who don't hide spare keys in our cars profusely thank those of you that do for making Teslas a joyriding target by publicizing the fact. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, on a more serious note, some of you guys can be easily identified and you've got VINs and descriptions of your car in your signature lines. Nothing like advertising yourselves to potential thieves.

You just need the James Bond security system:

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need the James Bond security system:

At least he had the key in his pocket, pretty useless after the car was wrecked. I'm still bemused that folks continue to post where and how they should hide their key fob on a public forum where they be pretty easily identified and descriptions and VINs are nicely highlighted. I wonder what the insurance company would say if if a car was stolen and trashed after the owner could be identified here and the car description, VIN and key location was published in this thread?

[/stuck_record]