Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wanted to avoid posting this - windshield issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know theres alot of haters who love to blow up posts out of proportion so I wanted to avoid posting this, But Im dissapointed with how I was left in the dark about my double vision / ghosting issue on my model x. I have spoken with like 4 different people at the sc in my area, and its like they are also in the dark about it with no answers. Glass and optics where invented more than a hundred years ago, I was actually in a Jeep Uber that had ghosting worse than mine. Obviously this is something the supplier (in Peru of all places, really??, no disrespect great food but they are not famous glass makers) has to know how to fix or at least let me know if this is a fixable issue or not dont you think ? That should be a 15 minute phone call between Elon and the supplier and a answer to me and others who have this problem 5 minutes later.

Anyway, i dont feel safe driving my car at night and I have absolutely no idea what will be done about it weeks after complaining about it. Im posting this because I love Tesla and think it needs to get its act together on little things like these that are pretty big issues for the user. I adore my car during the day. Service has to be exceedingly amazing NOW, because when the Porsches and others start to make electric cars , they will want to win customers they lost and service is KEY to keep us loyal. Please guys dont f$uk it up in details that are so minor like this one. Sorry again for the post.

Not sure why someone disliked the post. I agree with OP, this shouldn't take so long especially after all the press and pics. Ghosting on my car is very bad - 4-5 ghosts. SC said it is still under investigation and they don't know how to fix it. My temporary solution is to wear Maui Jims at night which fixes it instantly. Maybe they should get MJ to supply the windshield ;)

• Funny
Reactions: beths11 and ModelX
I'm getting worried about this as I have one on order. My wife, who will be driving the new X, has trouble driving at night with a bit of blur vision. I'm afraid this may impact her more. I, on the other hand, don't think I would be impacted but who knows.

For those of you have this issue, did you had your passengers / family members see through the glass and do they have the same problem? I'm trying to determine if this is problem for all or just certain individuals and perhaps with certain eye sensitivity.

thanks.

______________________________________________________________________________________
On order: X90D Pearl White, tan leather, light headliner, 6 seater, 20", PUP, Sub-Zero, AP, Tow hitch
Tesla Discount Referral code: Referral | Tesla Motors

I think it's just for certain people. On my first test drive I saw it during the day, the Tesla kid saw it too but the person I took with me did not notice it.

Now with the demo I had for a few hours last friday I did not see it at all and it was a first build car.

Tesla has told me that they currently dont have a fix yet for the issue.

I think it's just for certain people. On my first test drive I saw it during the day, the Tesla kid saw it too but the person I took with me did not notice it.

Now with the demo I had for a few hours last friday I did not see it at all and it was a first build car.

Tesla has told me that they currently dont have a fix yet for the issue.

There is no such thing as not having a fix. Tesla did not make the glass they are not supposed to fix this, they need to get a supplier in germany or italy to do a proper glass. Like I said, i was in a Uber the other day on a Jeep Compass that had very bad ghosting. Its just crap glass. Its a matter of having someone do a proper glass. Period

Reactions: Sean So Lowe
I'm getting worried about this as I have one on order. My wife, who will be driving the new X, has trouble driving at night with a bit of blur vision. I'm afraid this may impact her more. I, on the other hand, don't think I would be impacted but who knows.

For those of you have this issue, did you had your passengers / family members see through the glass and do they have the same problem? I'm trying to determine if this is problem for all or just certain individuals and perhaps with certain eye sensitivity.

thanks.

______________________________________________________________________________________
On order: X90D Pearl White, tan leather, light headliner, 6 seater, 20", PUP, Sub-Zero, AP, Tow hitch
Tesla Discount Referral code: Referral | Tesla Motors

I have driven and been on many cars before and after my x where i dont see this, so no its not a sensitivity thing. Its a crappy glass thing. Take a Test Drive you can see this during the day also on shiny parts of cars.

I have driven and been on many cars before and after my x where i dont see this, so no its not a sensitivity thing. Its a crappy glass thing. Take a Test Drive you can see this during the day also on shiny parts of cars.

100% agree with you! I never saw this ghosting issue on any car prior to the X or other cars I currently have, and the ghosting is pretty bad. My SC says there isn't any fix right now and that they would put me on a list to contact me when there is a fix.

I drove for 4 hours straight last night and its very distracting. I even see it during the day, especially on cloudy days.

While its true that the effect isn't as bad at certain heights, there isn't a driving position I can adjust the seat to to make the issue go away.

The Model X has the largest and most difficult to make front windshield ever installed on a car. I can't think of any other car that has the sort of curve the X front windshield has (lots have curves in the back windshield including the Model S). Car windshields are a sandwich of two pieces of glass with a piece of plastic in the middle to prevent the glass from flying everywhere in an accident.

I suspect the ghosting is an unexpected artifact of the manufacturing process on that big windshield and Tesla doesn't know how to fix it short of eliminating or drastically changing something that is a signature feature of the car's design.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
The Model X has the largest and most difficult to make front windshield ever installed on a car. I can't think of any other car that has the sort of curve the X front windshield has (lots have curves in the back windshield including the Model S). Car windshields are a sandwich of two pieces of glass with a piece of plastic in the middle to prevent the glass from flying everywhere in an accident.

I suspect the ghosting is an unexpected artifact of the manufacturing process on that big windshield and Tesla doesn't know how to fix it short of eliminating or drastically changing something that is a signature feature of the car's design.

I saw this on a Jeep Compass the other day so no, its not exclusive to this glass. I understand it may be a difficult glass yo make, but the ghosting is un- acceptable and I highly HIGHLY doubt Elon approved the issue and went ahead with the design. This is a supplier/factory problem and there has to be a answer from them , transmited to us. "We havent found a fix" is not acceptable. We are having the glass made somewhere else wait for us, is a answer. Even if it means we have to wait a year.

Has this ghosting problem shown up in the MS series? On my test drive, the glass just above the wipers had a wave distortion along the entire width. The distortion was about 1-2 inches. Do all S's have this? is this the X's issue? Is this just a reflection off of window tint? Somebody explain what a ghost is (and is not)

There is no such thing as not having a fix. Tesla did not make the glass they are not supposed to fix this, they need to get a supplier in germany or italy to do a proper glass. ........snip........
the shop is in S. America where the wind shield is made is brand new - and state of the art. Manufacturing in the EU is hardly a guarantee of a lower % of defects.

Reactions: Jaff
May not be a guarantee, but i guarantee they have tons more experience in glass than someone in peru.
Experience can be hired and brought into manufacturing locations - wherever that experience is located and wherever the manufacturing is located. That experience does not even have to STAY in Peru - just come in, tweak and go away (as consultants often do). I have met several folks during my travels in Peru...the work ethic is fantastic. Some call it the Inca heritage ...lazy incas were the first to be offered for sacrifice. I found (the ones I met) to be intelligent, careful with details, concerned with all things related to their country. And if you look at their engineering history - can any of our current masons carve stone - or move those pieces - like the those in Cuzco? I am not at all sure that Europeans have more experience than Peru.

Experience can be hired and brought into manufacturing locations - wherever that experience is located and wherever the manufacturing is located. That experience does not even have to STAY in Peru - just come in, tweak and go away (as consultants often do). I have met several folks during my travels in Peru...the work ethic is fantastic. Some call it the Inca heritage ...lazy incas were the first to be offered for sacrifice. I found (the ones I met) to be intelligent, careful with details, concerned with all things related to their country. And if you look at their engineering history - can any of our current masons carve stone - or move those pieces - like the those in Cuzco? I am not at all sure that Europeans have more experience than Peru.

Remind me of this when im driving my X again at night :)

In all seriousness though.. I highly doubt that if they went to one of the glass makers that make glass for Porsche or Ferrari, they would turn a bad product like this one. Nothing against Peru, its just that i never heard of them as glass makers.

I know theres alot of haters who love to blow up posts out of proportion so I wanted to avoid posting this, But Im dissapointed with how I was left in the dark about my double vision / ghosting issue on my model x. I have spoken with like 4 different people at the sc in my area, and its like they are also in the dark about it with no answers. Glass and optics where invented more than a hundred years ago, I was actually in a Jeep Uber that had ghosting worse than mine. Obviously this is something the supplier (in Peru of all places, really??, no disrespect great food but they are not famous glass makers) has to know how to fix or at least let me know if this is a fixable issue or not dont you think ? That should be a 15 minute phone call between Elon and the supplier and a answer to me and others who have this problem 5 minutes later.

Anyway, i dont feel safe driving my car at night and I have absolutely no idea what will be done about it weeks after complaining about it. Im posting this because I love Tesla and think it needs to get its act together on little things like these that are pretty big issues for the user. I adore my car during the day. Service has to be exceedingly amazing NOW, because when the Porsches and others start to make electric cars , they will want to win customers they lost and service is KEY to keep us loyal. Please guys dont f$uk it up in details that are so minor like this one. Sorry again for the post.
Very strange reading this. Have had my modelX for a week now. Driven daylight night time heavy rain and intense sunlight. Never seen double. I am not making this suggestion lightly but have you seen Doctor? Question early cataracts or other problem?

Can the mods fix the typo in the title?

In general can the mods be more aggressive in making sure the titles accurately reflect the content of the post. For example for this one, I would prefer they change it something like, "Double vision/Ghosting in my X windshield is horrible".

Very strange reading this. Have had my modelX for a week now. Driven daylight night time heavy rain and intense sunlight. Never seen double. I am not making this suggestion lightly but have you seen Doctor? Question early cataracts or other problem?
@Chickenlittle, this is a real problem that varies in intensity from windshield to windshield. Too many people have reported this issue, for it to be dismissed. In some vehicles, it literally feels like the sky is falling.