Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I work from home with zero commute, am I allowed to buy a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I have only had one vehicle for 8 years. I've worked from home for 5 years now and with kids now I finally feel the call for a second car. I work from home though and so I wouldn't really be driving that much.

I'm mainly posting because I'm interested if any other people that work from home and have a Model S for the infrequent times they do drive e.g. mid day things and mainly weekends? Or should I count my blessings that I don't have a regular commute and just save the money?

I was looking at buying a used higher mileage Model S so that over time the miles will look to average out in relation to the car and then I could get a pretty good deal as well.

I sometimes work from home, and when I don't, I have a company supplied vehicle that I have to use. So the MS is just for evenings and weekends.

What you SHOULD do is save your money, that applies to almost everyone here though, but life isn't about "should" there's no fun in that, you have to have some "want" in life to balance out all the "should". So don't ask yourself what you should do. Ask yourself what you want to do.

Buying an MS will not be a prudent financial choice if that's what you're after, but it will be a very enjoyable one. If you can afford it, do it.

I've worked from home for 18 years. Three years and we've put on 53k on our Signature Model S and 10k on the Roadster. Going electric just makes driving an adventure each and every time. I look for excuses to take a drive.

I work from home. +1 what Caligula and ibcs said. I look for any opportunity to take the car out. Errands become fun. Plus, with kids, you will have to ferry them around to school and other activities and those miles and savings do add up as compared to driving around town in an ICE which is quite fuel inefficient.

I work from home as well for the past five years. I've been driving a Honda Fit for almost seven years now. I barely put any miles on it now (errands and kid chauffeuring) but that's not going to stop me from getting a MS next year (or if I REALLY love the M3 I'll try to wait)

thgchris: Your idea of buying a used, moderate mileage car is a very good idea. I did this with a FordGT a few years ago -- it had been driven 12,000 miles by the time I purchased it, which was rather high for a FordGT in those days. However I knew lots of owners tend to drive the GT a lot and I would not be putting nearly as many on. And as I expected, when I sold it there were lots of them with lots higher mileage and mine had dropped down into the very moderate range of about 18K if I remember correctly.

This forum is a great place to buy one. Mine came with better extended warranty than the Tesla certified used cars offer. Do your homework, know what options you want and the ones you don't want or won't pay extra for, study pricing, then pounce when you see a car that is fairly or perhaps underpriced. I didn't even negotiate price on the one I got on this forum. It's a beauty, lovingly cared for by a California enthusiast who bought a P85D. Worked out well for both of us.

I love the responses. Frankly I was expecting most to say something along the lines of "don't bother" or "buy something else fun" but awesome to hear. I've got a test drive scheduled before end of year. Never driven a MS. Did ride in a roadster though.

I'm surprised by how many people work from home! I'm in the same boat and am shopping for a model S without regard for how much I might or might not drive. It's a car that meets my other, less tangible needs.

I love the responses. Frankly I was expecting most to say something along the lines of "don't bother" or "buy something else fun" but awesome to hear. I've got a test drive scheduled before end of year. Never driven a MS. Did ride in a roadster though.
If you came to a Tesla forum to be talked out of buying a Tesla, I think your mind was already made up!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised by how many people work from home! I'm in the same boat and am shopping for a model S without regard for how much I might or might not drive. It's a car that meets my other, less tangible needs.
And that's exactly it. We could ALMOST get by with only one car between my wife and I, and there's no rational justification for the Tesla. But I wanted it, and I saved my pennies (not that Canada has a penny anymore...) and did what I wanted. You have to have a little bit of fun in life sometimes.

I sometimes work from home, and when I don't, I have a company supplied vehicle that I have to use. So the MS is just for evenings and weekends.

What you SHOULD do is save your money, that applies to almost everyone here though, but life isn't about "should" there's no fun in that, you have to have some "want" in life to balance out all the "should". So don't ask yourself what you should do. Ask yourself what you want to do.

Buying an MS will not be a prudent financial choice if that's what you're after, but it will be a very enjoyable one. If you can afford it, do it.

I like what you said: but life isn't about "should" there's no fun in that, you have to have some "want" in life to balance out all the "should"