Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I work from home with zero commute, am I allowed to buy a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you came to a Tesla forum to be talked out of buying a Tesla, I think your mind was already made up!

- - - Updated - - -

And that's exactly it. We could ALMOST get by with only one car between my wife and I, and there's no rational justification for the Tesla. But I wanted it, and I saved my pennies (not that Canada has a penny anymore...) and did what I wanted. You have to have a little bit of fun in life sometimes.

+1 We bought a 2nd MS because it is the first car in 20 years that makes me smile every time I drive it. And I only drive 3 miles to work. My ICE would barely get warmed up. Now I don't need to worry about such nonsense.

Before I purchased the car I felt like it was a little ridiculous for me to get this car because I simply didn't drive enough. I have a short commute (16-17 miles round trip), and I was never too into road trips.

So what happened after I got the car?

I ended up putting 13K miles on it within the first 6 months.

I've driven it places where the mix of my anxiety (mild) plus laziness (major) prevented me from going before.
I drove home from Cali on black friday.

Why so much driving?

It's fun to drive
It's relaxing to drive (TACC, Lane Steering, Silky smooth acceleration, breaks to charge, etc)
It puts the free in "free to roam about the country". Well aside from the high entry cost of course. :p

So instead of worrying about putting too few miles on it to justify it; I'm worrying about putting too many miles on it (I still want to fall within the resell guarantee limit).

Last edited:
I also work from home though I do go into the office once a week.

Prior to the Tesla I was driving a full size diesel pickup and was averaging about 7K per year. First year in the Tesla was almost like 18K miles as it's so fun to drive and heck driving it for the day doesn't mean I am going to be shelling out $60.00 plus in the near future to fill the tank.

I think part of this response is due to the fact that a lot of us didn't buy the MS (primarily, anyway) to save on fuel costs. If it were simply a matter of what makes the most financial sense for the OP, we would be talking about a different category of vehicle all together.

I work from home and averaged 500-600 miles per month on my last car. I've been driving a bit more during the last few weeks since it's a new car, but I expect to get back into the same routine after a while.

There are certainly benefits to driving an EV that you and I would not get, so our cost of ownership would be higher, but if you can afford it, why not? It's a great car and offers so much beyond environmental and financial benefits.