Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would start paying for my M3 today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a general idea I do absolutely agree.

... but I do remember reading here and on other forums in 2012- early 2013 about people doing exactly that (but for Model S ), and I though they was nuts but that turned out to be a good investment - from around $30/share to almost $300/share in a short time ;)
I bought shares at $35, I'm not saying buying shares is a terrible idea. I'm saying buying shares as a 'savings account' for the car is a terrible idea. I keep my investments and my savings separate.

The share price today arguably has the sale of 373.000 Model 3 and S/X production of 100,000+ priced in. The company can grow, but can also dilute stock some more. The greatest gains (%) may have already been made. the next 10-bagger is going to be a tough one.

Buying stock to save for your m3 is a terrible idea. As is paying for it now when you don't have the car. A slightly less terrible (although still terrible) idea would be to buy solar city 18 month solar bonds. Buy a 1,000 Dollar Bond & See How Much You Can Earn - SolarCity
I wouldn't say that its terrible. This would be a grey area. Everything does not have to be black and white. Terrible or Fantastic.

Buying stock would not be advised, however it might work out. You never know. There have been some fantastic short term investments.

The share price today arguably has the sale of 373.000 Model 3 and S/X production of 100,000+ priced in. The company can grow, but can also dilute stock some more. The greatest gains (%) may have already been made. the next 10-bagger is going to be a tough one.
Yep... they may have....then again .... they may not have.

Raise your hand if you absolutely know for sure. I own Tesla stock and I have a trailing stop loss trade execution pending. Its been pending at a 10% stop loss for a year....It hasn't triggered yet.

Yep... they may have....then again .... they may not have.

Raise your hand if you absolutely know for sure. I own Tesla stock and I have a trailing stop loss trade execution pending. Its been pending at a 10% stop loss for a year....It hasn't triggered yet.
If I have stock, I'd be sitting tight, so trailing stop. That said, I am waiting for a ginormous stock crash. Tesla is bound to sufffer that also, but may well outperform as the car stock to have when Model 3 receives good response to the next unveil.

If I have stock, I'd be sitting tight, so trailing stop. That said, I am waiting for a ginormous stock crash. Tesla is bound to sufffer that also, but may well outperform as the car stock to have when Model 3 receives good response to the next unveil.
Stocks are always a tremendous IF. If you were 100 percent certain of a stock crash.....then....what does that mean? I'm still holding on.

@wbrumfiel The SCTY bond offering is intriguing, though I have never bought bonds str8 from the source like that - did you already? We have until 8.24? (Excited to vote my SCTY shares for morphing into TSLA come mid September) @Cloxxki I only buy, never sell, Tesla shares as there is no company on earth as committed to the moral imperative of stemming climate change, at least none that is publicly traded to my knowledge. Though you're spot on that the market has priced in s, x, and all 3 preorders etc as of its current valuation, I believe. Generally want to purch TSLA under $220, and actively vacuum up shares to best of liquidity when under $200. Where is everyone else's buy point?

As many have agreed with me that buying Tesla stock is no way to support the company when not filthy stinking rich, Elon, I say again, can we please start paying down our Model 3 loans ahead of time?

@wbrumfiel The SCTY bond offering is intriguing, though I have never bought bonds str8 from the source like that - did you already? We have until 8.24? (Excited to vote my SCTY shares for morphing into TSLA come mid September) @Cloxxki I only buy, never sell, Tesla shares as there is no company on earth as committed to the moral imperative of stemming climate change, at least none that is publicly traded to my knowledge. Though you're spot on that the market has priced in s, x, and all 3 preorders etc as of its current valuation, I believe. Generally want to purch TSLA under $220, and actively vacuum up shares to best of liquidity when under $200. Where is everyone else's buy point?

As many have agreed with me that buying Tesla stock is no way to support the company when not filthy stinking rich, Elon, I say again, can we please start paying down our Model 3 loans ahead of time?
I would say that "yes" we should be allowed to pay down our M3 principle now....if not to Tesla....to our own bank accounts.

No I haven't bought any SCTY bonds. My M3 savings is in a savings account and will continue to be there until I take delivery

Buying stock to save for your m3 is a terrible idea. As is paying for it now when you don't have the car. A slightly less terrible (although still terrible) idea would be to buy solar city 18 month solar bonds. Buy a 1,000 Dollar Bond & See How Much You Can Earn - SolarCity
This may go OT, but why do you think it's a terrible idea to buy the SolarCity Bonds? I am considering it, and the only area of risk I can identify is if SC goes bankrupt. But with the pending acquisition by Tesla, the chances of that seem really small. Am I missing something?

This may go OT, but why do you think it's a terrible idea to buy the SolarCity Bonds? I am considering it, and the only area of risk I can identify is if SC goes bankrupt. But with the pending acquisition by Tesla, the chances of that seem really small. Am I missing something?
Mostly risk due to bankruptcy. I don't consider the deal a foregone conclusion like most do. Also, if the car ships before the 18 months are over and you don't have access to that $ because its tied up in a bond then you may be screwed (depending on your financial position which I have no knowledge of). If you are plopping it in there as a savings account you just need to make sure you won't need it before it has matured.

A short side note, I would buy stock in Tesla for combating climate change, if I believed it existed. I was taught in school about long term seasons on Earth. Glaciers come and go. We have no way of knowing where on the timeline we are. Earth is a 12,000km sphere of boiling lava with a cooler crust just 8 light minute from a live star with its own temper and seasons which Earth cannot but obey to. I will fight against pollution, but climate and CO2 stuff are just Al Gorific politics. CO2 was higher in the past and it was great for both flora and fauna.

Actually two side notes. Stock crashes as a reality of life. They are difficult to time, and one should not wait for one holding stock. they do tend to happen closer to long term highs than long term lows. Guess where we are, and the state of the global economy. We don't have zero interest policies because we're doing so great. Actually high stock prices are for a large part thanks to zero interest rates, as all those dollars loaned for zip need to be invested elsewhere to make some money. Luckily, banks, countries and institutions don't need to pay back a cent, so failed loans are not an issue at all, have some more.
Shorting the ICE makers might be another approach. Crashes actually help you there (if not systemic) and you can buy a new Tesla on the demise of, say, Daimler.

Start paying yourself now! Pretend you're making loan payments and put the money into an interest bearing account. I'm already 2 years into my savings fund and the rate things are going I should be able to pay for at least half of a fully optioned car.

I second this great idea. I am doing just this and not only will I have a huge chunk for a deposit but I can also see how much my budget can really take in terms of monthly loan cost this way as well.

A short side note, I would buy stock in Tesla for combating climate change, if I believed it existed. I was taught in school about long term seasons on Earth. Glaciers come and go. We have no way of knowing where on the timeline we are.
Well, you may believe what you want, I don't care as long as you are shifting over to BEV ;)

... but keep in mind that never before has the average temperature on Earth changed this much in such a short time as is has the latest ~100 year. Not at the start of any ice-age and not at the end of any. And all this while it seems like the sun is heading for a winter session... Maybe a new "Little Ice Age"? But the temperature is still climbing here on Earth.

Reactions: erthquake
Well, you may believe what you want, I don't care as long as you are shifting over to BEV ;)

... but keep in mind that never before has the average temperature on Earth changed this much in such a short time as is has the latest ~100 year. Not at the start of any ice-age and not at the end of any. And all this while it seems like the sun is heading for a winter session... Maybe a new "Little Ice Age"? But the temperature is still climbing here on Earth.

The problem is we shouldn't just shrug it off and say "believe what you want". These are bad ideas that need to be exposed and ridiculed. We can't just stand by while 97% of scientists say climate change is caused by human activity and let these people with a science degree from the university of YouTube spew nonsense and perpetuate these insane & dangerous beliefs.

The problem is we shouldn't just shrug it off and say "believe what you want".
As long as he (or she) does the right think I think I can ;) But yes, you have a good point, but I am not into building up to a big "climate change" discussion in this thread. I just wanted to point out a few details that it seems he (or she) had overlooked in his (or hers) post. And no, no mater how much I argue I do not believe I will get him to change his mind... Not even with one of the latest twits Elon has re-twitted:
Phil Plait on Twitter

Scientists have been proven to forge climate data. Because they couldn't make it work. A flawed model based on hypothesized chemistry using cherrry picked data points.
Climate is just super hard to measure.
And while it does change, it's hard to tell in which way, let alone over the whole. We had the first forst in August recently, since the thermometer.
When I grew up, con trails didn't turn a clear-as-forecasted day into an overcast one. Banks gave double digit interest on deposits. And I stiil have my natural hair color. I take pride in an open mind, it's brought a lot of good things on my path.
I haven't owned a car in almost a decade, and it was just a very short stint in a flappy headlights Mazda 323F. Now I just can't bear the thought of settling for a gas guzzler it's just so wrong. For being so inefficient. As far as I can tell, the 70-80% heat it generated (great, noisy furnace) just dissipated into the vacume of space.

My sinceres advice would be to maintain a position of physical silver under your own control. No-one knows where it is unless they are in your will. No banks, no lawyers. When the gold to silver ratio drops below 40:1, swap at least some for gold. And when it returns over 60:1 again, swap it back. For those on a small budget there are ways to extract returns out of silver coins while bearing minimum risk. For big savers, diminished returns, but worth it. It's my thing, I know silver. It literally works for me.
Billions of people in recent years would have done better to have physical precious metals, because their currencies lost value they can't ever recover. Basically, the Euro, US Dollar and Yuan are the lst ones left standing. Those should be exchanged for something currently underappreciated.