Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wouldnt buy a Model 3 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some very nice features about this car but there is a lot wrong. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning let me count the ways. The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map; there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century); the latest software update disabled my garage door opener; and I could go on but I will dump this as soon as a good electric sedan is available that doesn't cost the moon. Does any one believe the Tesla engineers read the many gripes on this forum and ever think of responding in a positive way to correct the many issues?

The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map
This isn't meant to be rude....my reaction to this is you should consider seeing an eye doctor. I think all the text and symbols are sized very appropriately. They are very easy to read. If they were much bigger they would be obnoxiously so.

Last edited:
This isn't meant to be rude....my reaction to this is you need to go see an eye doctor. I think all the text and symbols are sized very appropriately. They are very easy to read. If they were much bigger they would be obnoxiously so.
Thank you for your comment. I have other cars (Lexus and Toyota) and the map shows the names of the roads in clearly visible type. And actually the names of roads are clearer on my iPhone app.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
How long have you had it? I had a 2019 SR+ and sold it (at an $8000 profit) to buy a 2022 LR AWD. The Homelink device is one of my favorite little luxuries and I would have been extremely unhappy if a software update disabled it!

Overall I’ve found the experience of owning a Tesla to be positive (it is now our only car), but I can see how the chaotic way in which upgrades are handled could be disorienting if you’re used to a Lexus or similar. That said, at the moment, it seems that Tesla’s OTA “supply chain” is the least worst around.

Hope you find what you’re looking for!

Thank you for your comment. I have other cars (Lexus and Toyota) and the map shows the names of the roads in clearly visible type. And actually the names of roads are clearer on my iPhone app.
Which Toyota? The software/screen on my 2019 TRD Off Road Premium 4Runner came over on the Mayflower. Toyota hasn't even attempted to keep up with technology. But I don't give a sh*t, ain't why I bought it. My 2019 M3P is the best car I've owned in 50+ years, for that it doesn't have to be perfect. Find me a better one and I'm all in.....

there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century)
I was pulling up next to a curb today and I came within 4" of curbing the wheels. I'm telling you, if I ever do curb the wheels I'm going to be cussing at the Tesla engineers who didn't put "all around view" or "bird's eye view" or whatever you want to call it on this car.

Tesla has historically been geared towards early adopters and folks eager for the latest tech with all its growing pains. Now that mainstream drivers are buying Teslas, Tesla really needs to provide a polished product and deliver features consistent with market standards (wipers that work, garage door opener, etc) and definitely never remove features. They could have folks opt in as beta testers if they want monthly software builds, while others just get proven software.

This isn't meant to be rude....my reaction to this is you should consider seeing an eye doctor. I think all the text and symbols are sized very appropriately.
Eventually Tesla will need/want to make this configurable, as people age their eye sight gets worse. This seems like a basic ‘Accessibility‘ feature and its long overdue; there should be 3 font sizes to choose from S/M/L

I was pulling up next to a curb today and I came within 4" of curbing the wheels. I'm telling you, if I ever do curb the wheels I'm going to be cussing at the Tesla engineers who didn't put "all around view" or "bird's eye view" or whatever you want to call it on this car.
maybe blame should be on the one who is driving it? My previous 20+ cars had no camera and I've never curbed any wheels.

maybe blame should be on the one who is driving it? My previous 20+ cars had no camera and I've never curbed any wheels.
You realize that the Model 3 has...err...special wheels that contact the curb before the tire's sidewalls do, unlike every other car I've driven? In every other car, you had to hit the curb REALLY hard to damage the wheels. In the Model 3? Just touching the curb at 0.1 mph will damage them. Expecting a human driver to be perfect every time is just stupid especially when it costs $160 to repair the damage each time from a minor mistake.

You realize that the Model 3 has...err...special wheels that contact the curb before the tire's sidewalls do, unlike every other car I've driven? In every other car, you had to hit the curb REALLY hard to damage the wheels. In the Model 3? Just touching the curb at 0.1 mph will damage them. Expecting a human driver to be perfect every time is just stupid especially when it costs $160 to repair the damage each time from a minor mistake.
There is NO blind spots with the following
1. side cameras
2. side view mirrors with tilt down when reverse to show the rear wheel/tires
3. back up camera
4. any car with stretched tires will do the same. it is not Tesla only problem
5. it is very easy and require minimal force to damage wheels on any car going 0.000001 mph. It is the matter of the side wall height not the wheel design or Tesla problem.

eyx1z6w2woc81.jpg

attachment.php

19e3640d-45fa-4632-9824-1bf82eb40f60-jpeg.185206

icyrt0m3oom11.jpg

Last edited:
5. it is very easy and require minimal force to damage wheels on any car going 0.000001 mph. It is the matter of the side wall height not the wheel design or Tesla problem.
The wheels protrude beyond the sidewall of the Primacy MXM4 tires (which also are sucky tires and I can't wait until they wear out and I can get rid of them) and thus always hit first.

There are some very nice features about this car but there is a lot wrong. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning let me count the ways. The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map; there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century); the latest software update disabled my garage door opener; and I could go on but I will dump this as soon as a good electric sedan is available that doesn't cost the moon. Does any one believe the Tesla engineers read the many gripes on this forum and ever think of responding in a positive way to correct the many issues?
With no animosity and only sincerity, best of luck with a different EV more aligned with your needs and wants. There are some EV sedans coming soon from the legacy brands, the good news is you should be able to test drive them to gain a better sense if they are for you.

I have other cars (Lexus and Toyota) and the map shows the names of the roads in clearly visible type. And actually the names of roads are clearer on my iPhone app.
I was commenting to my wife last weekend on how much better the navigation screen is on my Model 3 than Apple Maps. All a matter of preference.