Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE Guilt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't laugh but I had some initial pangs of guilt at selling Carmax my 2001 Toyota Avalon despite it starting to look it's age. First off what we were offered seemed sad but I get it was old and would have needed some replacement parts and work but essentially was still in great shape and could have gone on for many, many more miles I've been told. Something like 179k on it. We took good care of it and it will be sold at auction probably for parts. Only had trouble with it in the last year and think that was due to an incompetent AC person working on the unit and then a dealership making the matter worse when taken to them. It still got good gas mileage and had a huge tank and one of those 3-4 "body" trunks. They downsized the trunk after this model year I think. But apart from the familiarity with it and comfortable ride and carting all kinds of my things in it, it was time to retire ol' reliable. After we got our Model S, I hated stopping at the gas station to fill it up. Great car, got our money out of it but now that my Model 3 is here and we have our Model S when we need more cargo space and maybe longer trip luxury (love the vented seats), I don't think about it any more. Never even got named.

I did feel bad when my previous car a Honda Accord LX, held for not as long but showing it's age and needing AC work and catalytic converter etc, couldn't pass the Smog check and I gave it up under our State's program. Drove it to the crushing yard. So sad. Not named either. I do remember taking it for a drive at night when I first picked it up with the sunroof open and thinking what a great car it was. The engine when brand new was really quiet and it was a nice dark gray color. Back seat unlocked and folded down so was able to transport alot of things that way over the years.

No tears for either though. Right now I love just even sitting in Kealani, looking up at the sky, and listening to the sound system in my driveway before heading out.

Haha thanks! I did use a filter but only to correct the color to make it more like it really looks (my phone camera tends to dull photos sometimes). It's a wrap (the middle one). Lol the "name tags" are the temporary vehicle paperwork from the dealer. I left it on my convertible so that it always looks new and hasn't gotten plates yet. Been front plate free for 10 years, haha. Figured I'd do the same with the 3. :p
the front window tag won't work shortly after 1/19. enjoy it while you can.

Reactions: forkee
This car was much louder, but I enjoy driving my Model 3 more.

frontview-20141021-230747719.jpg

1590resized.jpg

1600resized.jpg

I was a few days from buying an M3 when I got the email saying my performance 3 was ready to order. I was getting tired of waiting and the estimated delivery time was end of 2018 at that point. The BMW salesman called me a few weeks later and they were sad when I said I was buying a Tesla. ;)

Haha thanks! I did use a filter but only to correct the color to make it more like it really looks (my phone camera tends to dull photos sometimes). It's a wrap (the middle one). Lol the "name tags" are the temporary vehicle paperwork from the dealer. I left it on my convertible so that it always looks new and hasn't gotten plates yet. Been front plate free for 10 years, haha. Figured I'd do the same with the 3. :p
Unique temporary plates will be required Jan 1, 2019.

For me, it's not so much the sound of the ICE I miss, but the manual transmission

The most recent to go will be a Fiat 500 Abarth - a small growly little turbo charged thing w/5 speed manual. I'm driving it this week since it will be adopted away next Tuesday, there's a bit of withdrawal but the 3 is so quick ... there's still a 2001 Audi TT 225 6peed in the family so there's that but most of the extended family cars are moving to hybrid or full EV

I left behind my Lexus IS350 F-Sport it was a fun and sporty car to drive but I agree the Model 3 is better and way more fun to drive everyday. I'll never buy another ICE car from the day I took delivery of my Model 3 and drove it home.

I also have an IS350 F-sport! I bought it for the looks and reliability and interior.

downsides: feels heavy compared to Model 3 in turns, obviously slower, the hump, cupholders :p

upsides: ventilated seats :cool:, proper & reliable blind spot monitoring :cool:, better media integration (Slacker Premium in the Model 3 is "ok" ... but would prefer proper USB stick mp3 controls)

Reactions: follow.johnny
I also have an IS350 F-sport! I bought it for the looks and reliability and interior.

downsides: feels heavy compared to Model 3 in turns, obviously slower, the hump, cupholders :p

upsides: ventilated seats :cool:, proper & reliable blind spot monitoring :cool:, better media integration (Slacker Premium in the Model 3 is "ok" ... but would prefer proper USB stick mp3 controls)

I do miss the reliable blind spot monitoring and ventilated/cooled seats it offered as well! But I do have to say, I don't miss the infotainment system it had the maps were horrible and that stupid mouse control is annoying to use!

It was a lease, not a long term relationship and you both knew it! Where's the guilt?

I sold my lifted 4wd big tow offroad Titan with headers exhaust, twin 200PSI onboard air compressors, and a very extensive stereo install. It was the first and only new car I have ever purchased. 13+ years together! I still enjoy the sound of a healthy V8.