Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE or EV with a hurricane bearing down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife brought up a good question today (we live in FL). If everyone evacuates at once because of a hurricane and the minimal roads out of Florida turn into a parking lot, is there a benefit to be stuck in an EV vs. ICE? My understanding is that if you are at a standstill and can't move, you would be far better served in an EV (depending on remaining battery) vs an ICE because you could essentially stop if traffic does and maintain cabin comfort far longer than you could running gas in an ICE to keep AC etc running. Is this a fair assumption on my part? Everything I've read says that if you are not moving and only need HVAC for the cabin, very minimal battery is required for this....?

yeah but say you are at for example 70% battery when the interstate turns into a parking lot, how much battery would you use for say 6 hrs overnight for HVAC vs. trying to keep your car running? what if you had no container to go get gas? or anyplace to get it from because they are all sold out (like now throughout much of florida)? Guess my question should be more specific in terms of how long can you sustain cabin comfort without moving given a certain amount of battery charge?

Worry less about fuel source and more about road passability. worry also about connectivity to cell signal. As a business continuity expert I can tell you that, rest assured, cell towers will be down. When cell towers are down, so is navigation. Oh, and before the cell towers go down, street signs are down. Often falling across the road making them impassable. You will have no navigation and no street signs.

What you want, is to have driven to Walmart, Target, Public etc. before the storm in your pretty EV and have stocked up on essentials. . . So you can wait it out.

If there's gridlock, the ICE and the EV are stuck. Irma is going to be fuel agnostic.

Good luck.

Or a trailer with a gas generator...
Worry less about fuel source and more about road passability. worry also about connectivity to cell signal. As a business continuity expert I can tell you that, rest assured, cell towers will be down. When cell towers are down, so is navigation. Oh, and before the cell towers go down, street signs are down. Often falling across the road making them impassable. You will have no navigation and no street signs.

What you want, is to have driven to Walmart, Target, Public etc. before the storm in your pretty EV and have stocked up on essentials. . . So you can wait it out.

If there's gridlock, the ICE and the EV are stuck. Irma is going to be fuel agnostic.

Good luck.

All good points...guess my point is, if you made the call to bolt and you wound up being stuck, which vehicle would you rather be stuck in?
I've been living down here for 30 years so I've been to this dance many times. When you watch the storm track, you have to make a call depending on the track, strength of storm, when it's expected to arrive etc. The option to "wait it out" is not always an option. When it comes time to make that call, if you decide to evacuate, there is always the possibility of getting stuck depending on how many others are making the same decision that you are. Given that, are there advantages to being possibly stuck in an EV vs. ICE...that's kind of the point of my original post. For what it's worth, I'm on the west coast (tampa/st. pete) so have made the call after watching the current storm track to wait it out so have all supplies needed on hand.

• Love
Reactions: EV-Bull
Japanese spec Outlander PHEV

AWD,
electric power
gasoline power
+ onboard 1500w inverter, domestic power out plug

upload_2017-9-7_13-10-10.png

アウトランダーPHEV | 乗用車 | カーラインアップ | MITSUBISHI MOTORS JAPAN

My wife and I have been having the same discussion for the past couple days. We have decided to take the Prius, and leave the S 70D in our garage. Our concern is that the SC network along the Florida Turnpike might still be down when we try to come home, whereas the 500+ mile range of my 2006 PiP can get us to Orlando and back on one tankful.
Also, I hate to think of the Tesla sitting outside in the storm while Irma passes us by in Orlando.

If there's no power, the gas pumps don't work.

Electricity gets restored before the gasoline infrastructure. After the earthquake / tsunami in Japan it was mostly EVs going into the disaster area. There was no fueling infrastructure whatsoever, but they could charge.

That's not really a complete picture. Used to live in Florida, been thru a few storms there, as well as some interesting weather here in the MidWest. Many service stations will be back up well before the grid--via generators. We were grid-down for 13 days after a 2007 Ice Storm, but by the 2nd day, finding operating gas stations was not a significant issue.

IMO a high-mileage ICE (w fuel cache) is the better solution in a full grid-down disaster. With a Prius I can easily toss enough gas cans in back to drive across the country, if need be, regardless of grid/gas availability.

Probably would rather be in an overland built Jeep Wrangler or something of that sort. Roads will be a mess, trees down, etc and ice or ev, if you're stuck on an impassable road you're stuck. Last year I got home from work when highways were at a standstill and roads closed because I was in my Rubicon, and not confined to staying on them.

yeah but say you are at for example 70% battery when the interstate turns into a parking lot, how much battery would you use for say 6 hrs overnight for HVAC vs. trying to keep your car running? what if you had no container to go get gas? or anyplace to get it from because they are all sold out (like now throughout much of florida)? Guess my question should be more specific in terms of how long can you sustain cabin comfort without moving given a certain amount of battery charge?
About 1%/hr for climate as a rule of thumb.
Totally depends on temp difference between inside outside etc, but basically about right.

I reckon EV is best in "post-apocalypse" scenario, because it's easier to make electricity than fuel.
For natural disaster, ICE better IF you can stockpile gasoline ahead of time, otherwise it's a close one.