Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal miles increase after charging complete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sethr

CPO Roadster #1089
Mar 24, 2013
Fairfax, VA
Hi all, has anyone else seen ideal miles increase after charge completion? I have noticed it three times now, and wonder if this has any significance. Once it went from 180 to 185, the other times just a couple of miles. My CAC is 155.54, standard charge usually ends up in the mid 180's, and then normally declines a bit as balancing occurs. I've only done one range charge ever, and the battery seems great at 22,000 miles on the odometer. The only thing I've ever noticed that's not ideal is brick # 91 is almost always the lowest voltage. Any thoughts? TIA!

Typically the ideal miles will increase when the CAC gets recalculated. Like you've indicated, I've seen the CAC get re-calculated after a charge right after balancing has completed. I've also seen CAC get recalculated after a 30+ mile drive post std. mode charge. In your case you could of had a calculation like the latter where you charged, When CAC increases your ideal miles increase as the end result. You can calculate the ideal miles manually by dumping your logs, grabbing the raw cell voltage and applying a fixed formula. All that's on TMC if you want to play around with it.

Last edited:
Hi all, has anyone else seen ideal miles increase after charge completion?

My car seems to have abnormally high "vampire" losses (at least 5% SOC per 24 hrs) so it is usually down quite a bit by the time I get in the car. If I charge to, say 80% overnight, the car will be at 78 or 79% when I come out in the morning.

But a while ago, I used to see something really weird: I used to stop for a half hour coffee break on my way home from work. There was no place to plug in, so the car just sat there. Often, there would be a couple of extra Rated Miles on the display when I came back out. I first noticed it when I parked and I had something like 98 or 99 Miles left. When I came back, I was back into 3 digits again. After that, I would jot down the range and, sure enough, it would be a couple of miles higher after sitting for a half hour or so. Haven't paid attention to that for some time now, so it may have been "fixed" with more current firmware.

Hi all, has anyone else seen ideal miles increase after charge completion? I have noticed it three times now, and wonder if this has any significance. Once it went from 180 to 185, the other times just a couple of miles. My CAC is 155.54, standard charge usually ends up in the mid 180's, and then normally declines a bit as balancing occurs. I've only done one range charge ever, and the battery seems great at 22,000 miles on the odometer. The only thing I've ever noticed that's not ideal is brick # 91 is almost always the lowest voltage. Any thoughts? TIA!
I've seen this happen if you charge the battery when it's cold and the temperature of the pack rises after the charge completes.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak