Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal or Cost Effective Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does change. The lowest current is still 5A so the lowest charge rate will be 3.6kW.
Just to add to that...

If you want to charge from excess solar, you will be better off with single phase up to 32A. That means it can charge between 1.2kW and 7.6kW at 240W increments.

With 16A 3 Phase you can charge between 3.6kW and 11kW at 720W increments.

Just to add to that...

If you want to charge from excess solar, you will be better off with single phase up to 32A. That means it can charge between 1.2kW and 7.6kW at 240W increments.

With 16A 3 Phase you can charge between 3.6kW and 11kW at 720W increments.
Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for.
5kw inverter at present so not as ideal with 3ph.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for.
5kw inverter at present so not as ideal with 3ph.
I think to be realistic using a Zappy or similar single-phase and using excess solar only to charge your car you need at a 10kw inverter and 13kw or more solar panels. Even then on a good day, you will only get the max10kw two or 3 hours during the middle of the day.

Reactions: Leeroy
I think to be realistic using a Zappy or similar single-phase and using excess solar only to charge your car you need at a 10kw inverter and 13kw or more solar panels. Even then on a good day, you will only get the max10kw two or 3 hours during the middle of the day.
It depends how often and how far you drive.

Even at 1.2kW you can charge a Model 3 at 7km/h. That may be more than enough.

With a 5kW inverter you may get 4kW or more of excess solar so that would be 20-25km/hr.

You are spot on in my case, I have 6.6kw but east/west facing hence the 5kw inverter. I wanted larger but at the time the next step up was 10kw which wasn’t worth it.
I have space for another 5kw north facing.

My work commute it 170km round trip so can’t recoup that daily. I just want to scavenge as much as I can rather than getting my 0.06c fit to then purchase it back at 0.18c

Hi All, hopefully this is easy for someone to answer that has this particular 5 pin 32a adaptor. It says in the specs that it automatically sets the charge to 32amps which I hope isn't actually correct. I will eventually have installed a 5 pin config single phase only so I don't want it to run at 32amp when plugged in at home.
1. Is that spec wrong or is it easily configurable via the car?
2. Will it work with lower than 32 amps?

Hi All, hopefully this is easy for someone to answer that has this particular 5 pin 32a adaptor. It says in the specs that it automatically sets the charge to 32amps which I hope isn't actually correct. I will eventually have installed a 5 pin config single phase only so I don't want it to run at 32amp when plugged in at home.
1. Is that spec wrong or is it easily configurable via the car?
2. Will it work with lower than 32 amps?

You set the amps from either the car screen or the app in 1 amp incrememts (as well as amount of charge you want). It recognises location so will always be at the set amperage when at home. I think 7 amps is the lowest? Havnt used single phase in a while so someone else might be able to clarify the minimum amps that can be set.

You set the amps from either the car screen or the app in 1 amp incrememts (as well as amount of charge you want). It recognises location so will always be at the set amperage when at home. I think 7 amps is the lowest? Havnt used single phase in a while so someone else might be able to clarify the minimum amps that can be set.

The minimum is 5 amps. Although I have 3-phase, so it’s 5A per phase for me.

The other 2 pins are not wired inside the plug that goes to the UMC. So whether you have 3ph or not with the 5pin, the plug doesn’t actually use 2 of them. You can zoom In on the plug and see below.
1119E709-0AAC-49A8-96E4-371A8B0E3A99.jpeg

Reactions: backle
Yes, my house currently has single ph with the 3ph plug shown. The plug is wired all the way back to the meter box with 3ph wiring, but 2 phases are just left disconnected from the mains as there is nothing for them to attach to. This was done this way about a year ago, I’m going through the 3ph install now and they will be wired in later.

I’ve read some sparkys won’t wire a 5pin plug up to 1ph home. The guy who wired the plug was the Tesla recommended installer and the 3ph installer is a different sparky altogether, neither had a problem with how this was done.

Reactions: backle