Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiots in Carparks (why we can't have nice things)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Returned to my 4 month old car last night to find the full house of a dent/scratch/paint chip. All small but so unnecessary.
I know the carpark was tight and I am near the edge of the space (I was in the middle of the available space) but this Lady did not seem in the least bit bothered that she was opening her door into my car even though my daughter was actually sitting in the car! I would not have parked there if I was going to be more than 5 minutes. Sadly 1 minute too long :(

View attachment 901070
Given that this is taken from the side camera are you sure the front didn't catch the plate?

Sadly the only way to make these people learn is to contact your insurance, provide the footage and reg so they can track them and make their own insurance pay for damages. As your insurer won't be OOP, usually your premium won't increase, but as was said before YMMV... Only way to teach the culprit a lesson though.... If every Tesla owner did that people would think twice before parking too close.

Last edited:
One main error here. You parked near McDonalds! All the damage in my previous cars have been in fast food/ retail park carparks. People just don’t care and when their hands are full, even less so. My gym is next to a McDonalds and I actually park in a quiet B&Q carpark about 200m away because is much safer.

It’s a shame that some people just don’t care about other peoples stuff. These people are also the first to complain when an expensive car parks across 2 spaces to protect it from things such as this!

I had a bit of a discussion with a chap who expressed dismay that I'd parked my X260 over 1.5 spaces... on a nigh on empty car park.
I advised him that I'd spent hours sorting out some parking rash...so wasn't going to risk anything again.
Besides...what did it have to do with him how the hell I parked?
He did start being a bit abusive...as he got to the store's entrance. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Morpheus84
I would think you can easily get that fixed with a 'smart' repair for decent price. I had one done on my car, the result was brilliant and I think the cost was about £125. Money you shouldn't need to spend, I appreciate, but at least then you can consign it to history.

Reactions: Jason71
I would also echo @Morpheus84 above in that I would never park in a regular space in a McDonalds car park. As said people carrying bags of food and drinks are not thinking about your car at all.
This one used to be mostly a Frankie and Bennies carpark so people were there for ages. I had not twigged that now it is a five guys so the though put would be higher. Should have just parked across the road in B&Q like I normally would. lesson learned.

This one used to be mostly a Frankie and Bennies carpark so people were there for ages. I had not twigged that now it is a five guys so the though put would be higher. Should have just parked across the road in B&Q like I normally would. lesson learned.
I actually think that ‘Sentry’ mode could be a lot better. You have 5 cameras protecting your car and and outdoor speaker! Maybe we should have the option of a voice prompt and not just have the headlights flash (Zero effect in daylight).

I know the main screen says ‘Recording’ but unless someone is staring inside the car, what use is that. I personally think the car should speak and say ‘Tesla recording’, ‘External Cameras Active’ or something like that. Or maybe even allow ‘custom’ messages. Even a simple horn beep for these would be culprits to think you’re near your car or that you’re recording their every move.

The current Sentry set up is lazy and could be so much better!

I really doubt the police would be interested
You're absolutely right; I had someone open their car door into my Model 3 in Costco car park (which have enormous spaces); put a good scrape in paintwork and a dent right in the swage line of the door. Sentry mode captured it and the other car driving off, so got the number plate and good video image of the other driver doing the damage (and having a look at what he'd done) before driving off without leaving any details.

I reported it to the police with sentry footage, they said that as neither car was moving at the time it's a civil matter and weren't going to do anything at all. I left it with the insurance company to resolve (it's a company car and no excess for me to pay for no-fault claims, so I might as well). They used the details to find the other driver and 18 months later they are still chasing them and solicitors are involved, luckily I don't have to worry about it.

You're absolutely right; I had someone open their car door into my Model 3 in Costco car park (which have enormous spaces); put a good scrape in paintwork and a dent right in the swage line of the door. Sentry mode captured it and the other car driving off, so got the number plate and good video image of the other driver doing the damage (and having a look at what he'd done) before driving off without leaving any details.

I reported it to the police with sentry footage, they said that as neither car was moving at the time it's a civil matter and weren't going to do anything at all. I left it with the insurance company to resolve (it's a company car and no excess for me to pay for no-fault claims, so I might as well). They used the details to find the other driver and 18 months later they are still chasing them and solicitors are involved, luckily I don't have to worry about it.
This is exactly what happened to me (except it was Wickes carpark and it was pretty much empty and the numpty chose next to me instead of the other 100 empty spaces). Police not interested at all and it's going to court as the other insurance company still won't pay out!

I agree on the Mcdonalds car park being awful and the spaces so tight, dings are bound to happen, however the other day I stopped there and some car pulled up next to me and the driver got out to hold the door to make sure the passengers didn't bang the car, so there are still some thoughtful people!

There will always be occasions where parking in a rubbish spot is inevitable and can only do our best to avoid these scenarios, one of the reasons I like Costco is the big spaces.

Costco being an American company has good sized parking spaces and would be one of the only places I would be happy going to and have less concern about other cars parking nearby, this of course doesn't stop stupid parking and people who are careless. The police won't do nothing for accidents on private property like supermarkets and car parks would have to rely on the insurance companies or taking civil action.

This type of thing happens to me all the time…

Happened to me even when I was sitting in my car…
People just don’t care, I tend to try and find spaces away from the busy traffic, pain to walk far out but I’d much rather the exercise than paint chips.

Fortunately doesn’t look malicious, careless accident which is good, just annoying to have to deal with it.

This type of thing happens to me all the time…

Happened to me even when I was sitting in my car…
People just don’t care, I tend to try and find spaces away from the busy traffic, pain to walk far out but I’d much rather the exercise than paint chips.

Fortunately doesn’t look malicious, careless accident which is good, just annoying to have to deal with it.
A Tesla was the first new car I ever bought 3 years ago and walking from the far corners of carparks has been great for my health.
This time I fell for the "i'll only be 5 minutes what could happen" line of thinking forgetting that so will everyone else so the turnover of cars will be high. The cars both sides of me changed while I was parked.
Lesson learned.

Reactions: bainsy and Durzel
A Tesla was the first new car I ever bought 3 years ago and walking from the far corners of carparks has been great for my health.
This time I fell for the "i'll only be 5 minutes what could happen" line of thinking forgetting that so will everyone else so the turnover of cars will be high. The cars both sides of me changed while I was parked.
Lesson learned.
Or wait for reverse summon*....

*Coming circa 2038

• Funny
Reactions: yessuz and CWT3LR
Or wait for reverse summon*....

*Coming circa 2038
1op1lc.jpg

Tesla summons your money, and you have to reverse into the space

Sat in the car waiting my Mrs in a carefully selected space with no neighbours on either side or in front, a little car pulls alongside far too close, despite there being three other clear spaces to either side. Ding - opens the door and hits mine. She trots off to the shops so I get out for a look in the dark and pouring rain and prepare for the punch up when she returns. Meantime, while I'm trying to find any damage a taxi driver reverses in front of my car and keeps backing up until he hits the front of my car.

As it happens, neither made any visible damage but suffice it say I wasn't a happy camper.

Mrs returns and apologises for being so long "You must have been so bored..."

'Yeah, something like that...'

The current Sentry set up is lazy and could be so much better!

It could certainly be expanded and improved. IIRC there were a spate of Tesla thefts and break-ins in America quite a few years back, and so I expect Sentry is designed as it is in order to solve for that problem, rather than external damage. It'd be nice if the scope was expanded to cover situations like this though.

Sat in the car waiting my Mrs in a carefully selected space with no neighbours on either side or in front, a little car pulls alongside far too close, despite there being three other clear spaces to either side. Ding - opens the door and hits mine. She trots off to the shops so I get out for a look in the dark and pouring rain and prepare for the punch up when she returns. Meantime, while I'm trying to find any damage a taxi driver reverses in front of my car and keeps backing up until he hits the front of my car.

As it happens, neither made any visible damage but suffice it say I wasn't a happy camper.

Mrs returns and apologises for being so long "You must have been so bored..."

'Yeah, something like that...'

And you didn't let her tyres down?

;)
Still wrong, you can't get that info unless it's specifically one of the reasons listed on that page. Someone dinging your door isn't really going to meet the threshold of an accident, is it?

If the DVLA are handing out people's addresses willy-nilly then what's the point of having any data protection rules?

Still wrong, you can't get that info unless it's specifically one of the reasons listed on that page. Someone dinging your door isn't really going to meet the threshold of an accident, is it?

If the DVLA are handing out people's addresses willy-nilly then what's the point of having any data protection rules?
Technically it can be, but you would have to get an invoice or estimate for repairs. (A real prejudice). An amazon receipt for a touch-up pen wouldn't cut it.
Plus, DVLA makes it hard as you need to download and fill in a V888 form, pay £2.50 in handling fees, and send it by post along with a ton of supporting documents.

( https://assets.publishing.service.g...ndividual-for-information-about-a-vehicle.pdf )
To me that's the right balance between discouraging frivolous requests and still allowing a member of the public to pursue a legitimate claim.