Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If FSD was never going to be an option, would you still purchase a Tesla

If FSD was never going to be a realistic option, would you purchase a Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 101 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's AI may eventually solve the FSD issue OR maybe not. Perhaps it's too complicated for a computer to resolve all the issues a driver sees and reacts to. Let's say Elon says, "it can't be done, we tried, we just can't do it right now and best case it takes another 10-15 years and more tech to make it work" Would you still purchase your Tesla today? There are lots of good reasons to go electric, but if FSD was not going to work over the life of your car, would you still purchase a Tesla vs one of the upstarts soon to become available over the next 0-3 years.

One of the major reasons we purchased was for Autopilot, as it functioned in 2018 (and has gotten better). FSD, whenever it gets here, is just icing on the cake.

So yes, electric, one of the safest, if not THE safest, cars available, incredibly cheap to operate, never having to go to a gas pump, fast and fun as heck to drive, amazing and constantly improving software that is unmatched in the auto industry. No brainer. Over and over. With or without FSD.

The primary motivation for me was the electric powertrain. Also, there is currently no other electric sedan that interests me (and I don't like SUVs), so yes, I would buy a Tesla again. That may change in the future as more EVs from other car makers become available. Autopilot is a lower priority for me, and I don't believe that we'll see full autonomy (i.e. L4/L5) while I own the Model 3.

Maybe. Depends if someone catches up with Enhanced Autopilot in a car that doesn't suck.

My next car must be:

At least as good at driver assists as Enhanced Autopilot is right now
Faster than my current car
RWD or AWD. No FWD, ever.
Not a stupid looking derp pod

Right now it'll probably be a Model Y Performance, but the more Tesla annoys me with their shadier practices and failures, the more I hope the Taycan is good enough to lure me over.

I currently have EAP and they kinda screwed me out of FSD price was (I bought 2/27, the chaotic day of all the price changes, was told I could have FSD free when it was $2k, then when it went to $8k they said jk you can't have it free lol) and if the price keeps increasing, I probably will never buy it unfortunately. For now I'm not missing anything.

Autopilot, let alone FSD, was never a consideration when I decided to purchase a Tesla. I simply wanted an EV with at least 200 mile range. Any tech stuff that came standard was just gravy and I wasn't willing to pay extra for gee-whiz features. I chose Tesla specifically because they're fully committed to EVs and I wanted to reward them with my business for this.

Last edited:
We did not purchase FSD, not even sure if I’m that interested. All I can say after owning the 3 for a few days now, is that they hit it out of the park! Anyone considering going electric, should at least test drive the 3.

Last edited: