Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I buy a used 3 will it get the new features provided in future software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all , not currently an owner yet . The model I really want is a long range rwd. As they don’t make it anymore I will have to settle for pre owned . My question is when a software update comes out does it make all models have the same features weather they are new or used . In other words am I giving up any new software features or updates by choosing pre owned . Thank you all in advance

Hi all , not currently an owner yet . The model I really want is a long range rwd. As they don’t make it anymore I will have to settle for pre owned . My question is when a software update comes out does it make all models have the same features weather they are new or used . In other words am I giving up any new software features or updates by choosing pre owned . Thank you all in advance

Not for the Model 3. For a 2013 S, yes, but that's because the hardware differs so much between what the 2013 S had versus what a Raven S has.

All cars with the same hardware would have the same software(sooner or later) whether it was owned by the original owner, or a secondary owner(used car).

As was mentioned, their are and will be features which are not available on older hardware after a period of time. An example for an older Model 3 would be the visual representation of traffic cones on the screen, which is only available for Hardware 3 cars, and would not be displayed for those which have Hardware 2.5.

Be also mindful of what software package comes with the car you buy. If you are targeting a pre-owned LR, it will definitely have HW 2.5. The next question is which software package was purchased by the original buyer:

1. Nothing - You still get software updates for all the car's features except what is in the #2 and #3 packages.
2. EAP - This includes, to date, all driver assist features - TACC, Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, Enhanced Summon, and Autopark.
3. FSD - This means the car will eventually get any hardware and software upgrade needed for future released full self driving features.

You can buy #3 yourself. #2 is no longer available from Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC

Why do you want the "LR RWD" model instead of the AWD model, in buffalo NY where you get real weather like snow?

Reactions: KJD and DopeGhoti
Be also mindful of what software package comes with the car you buy. If you are targeting a pre-owned LR, it will definitely have HW 2.5. The next question is which software package was purchased by the original buyer:

1. Nothing - You still get software updates for all the car's features except what is in the #2 and #3 packages.
2. EAP - This includes, to date, all driver assist features - TACC, Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, Enhanced Summon, and Autopark.
3. FSD - This means the car will eventually get any hardware and software upgrade needed for future released full self driving features.

Some LR RWD Model 3s shipped with Autopilot, not EAP. This change moves all the EAP features you noted except for TACC and Autosteer into the FSD package.

My understanding is that if you buy a used Tesla from the original owner or a third party (such as a traditional used car dealership), then the software packages should remain unchanged from what the original owner bought. Thus, if it had EAP, it'll continue to have EAP; if it had AP, then it'll have AP. If it had FSD, then it doesn't really matter whether that was paired with AP or EAP. OTOH, if you buy a used Tesla from Tesla, then they may juggle the included software to whatever they like. I don't know what their current policies are, but they might be converting EAP into AP, adding AP to cars that didn't used to have it, stripping the software down and then giving buyers the option of buying AP (and FSD on top of that), or whatever. It's definitely something you should be alert to.

If you buy from the original owner or a third party, be sure to get the original window sticker or purchase invoice, or check with Tesla to see what the car includes. (I don't know how forthcoming Tesla would be with this information, though.) Because FSD doesn't yet provide anything over what EAP provided, AFAIK, it may be hard to tell if a car has EAP vs. FSD based on the options you see on the screen. When EAP was current, FSD was a $2,000 option, IIRC (or $3,000 if bought after the fact); but current pricing on FSD is $7,000 over AP (which is now standard on all but the base non-plus SR). I don't know what Tesla's current FSD upgrade pricing is for owners who have EAP but not FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Some LR RWD Model 3s shipped with Autopilot, not EAP. This change moves all the EAP features you noted except for TACC and Autosteer into the FSD package.
Good point. I had forgotten that the still offered the LR RWD after they changed the AP/EAP/FSD packages. And I hadn't even considered that Tesla would modify the software configuration on a returned car (which really would be a lease, so probably don't have many cars under that scenario - but definitely feasible).

Good point. I had forgotten that the still offered the LR RWD after they changed the AP/EAP/FSD packages. And I hadn't even considered that Tesla would modify the software configuration on a returned car (which really would be a lease, so probably don't have many cars under that scenario - but definitely feasible).

I think they do it on trade ins, too. If you read the FAQs on the premium connectivity, it specifically states that if a used tesla is bought from tesla, they may remove the premium connectivity even if the person trading it in had lifetime (paraphrasing).

If purchased private party, whatever software is there stays there. If someone trades in a tesla to tesla with EAP, tesla can (and likely would) remove it.

(premium connectivity is where I got this, but it likely shows teslas thinking on software in their cars)
=====================================

How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

What happens to my Premium Connectivity subscription if I sell or trade-in my car?

If Premium Connectivity is included on your car at no cost, it will be removed automatically at the time of trade-in. If the car is sold privately, Premium Connectivity will remain for future owners for the lifetime of the car.

If you’re subscribed to Premium Connectivity and sell your car privately, you will need to log into your Tesla Account to cancel your subscription. If you trade-in your car, your subscription will be canceled automatically at the time of trade-in.

• Informative
Reactions: srs5694 and focher
I think they do it on trade ins, too. If you read the FAQs on the premium connectivity, it specifically states that if a used tesla is bought from tesla, they may remove the premium connectivity even if the person trading it in had lifetime (paraphrasing).

If purchased private party, whatever software is there stays there. If someone trades in a tesla to tesla with EAP, tesla can (and likely would) remove it.

(premium connectivity is where I got this, but it likely shows teslas thinking on software in their cars)
=====================================

How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for the lifetime of the car, and will be active for future owners if sold privately.

What happens to my Premium Connectivity subscription if I sell or trade-in my car?

If Premium Connectivity is included on your car at no cost, it will be removed automatically at the time of trade-in. If the car is sold privately, Premium Connectivity will remain for future owners for the lifetime of the car.

If you’re subscribed to Premium Connectivity and sell your car privately, you will need to log into your Tesla Account to cancel your subscription. If you trade-in your car, your subscription will be canceled automatically at the time of trade-in.

They typically have done this for Model S/X regarding Lifetime Unlimited Supercharging(and then sometimes re-enable it as a sales lever)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

It's funny to see it broken down this way. For those of us following for years this all makes sense. But for someone looking to buy what a mess this looks like :p

Reactions: jjrandorin
I purchased a LR RWD from a private party. I have had no issues whatsoever. It came with EAP and I purchased FSD when the price dropped from $3,000 to $2,000. They have not upgraded my hardware yet to 3.0, but I still get all the updates for the 2.5 hardware and it is just a matter of time until I get upgraded to 3.0.

Definitely see the Monroney sticker / Order agreement before you buy it, which shows the options that came with plus any post purchase additions. The owner can get this info from his/her account on the website under delivery documents. In fact, you might ask if they can surf around the account and car details pages a little for you.

OP, I think your approach makes sense and you can get a great value - Highly recommend!

Last edited: