Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I go faster will navigation tell me to stop at more superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X will be here soon. If I am on a road trip and I am going fast will the navigation system tell me stop more often and charge for longer? If I start going slower how long will it be before the navigation tells me to stop less often?

Does the navigation let you compare the two options side by side in the navigation so you can see how the route will compare if you go 60 or 90 mph?

navigation will recalibrate when it thinks you don't have enough power to make it to the next supercharger. it will either pick a closer supercharger or tell you to slow down.

FWIW, I've ignored all the speed warnings and just paid attention to the difference between actual miles to supercharger and rated miles remaining. if the difference between those two is less than 10 miles then I slow down. for example, 63 miles to next supercharger, 75 rated miles left on battery. keep driving, but 63 miles to next supercharger, 69 miles rated remaining on battery, SLOW DOWN.

navigation will recalibrate when it thinks you don't have enough power to make it to the next supercharger. it will either pick a closer supercharger or tell you to slow down.

FWIW, I've ignored all the speed warnings and just paid attention to the difference between actual miles to supercharger and rated miles remaining. if the difference between those two is less than 10 miles then I slow down. for example, 63 miles to next supercharger, 75 rated miles left on battery. keep driving, but 63 miles to next supercharger, 69 miles rated remaining on battery, SLOW DOWN.

That’s what I do as well but is not suitable for new owners. Wind, elevation changes, and temps will chew away at that remaining charge very quickly.

Reactions: Rocky_H
A Better Route Planner also optimizes for shortest total trip time, rather than minimum stops. Thus you generally stay on the lower half of the battery and charge times are dramatically reduced. It also can log in to your car to base its recommendations on your specific vehicle and your driving. The interface is identical on any device including the browser in the car. Bottom line, very sweet IMO.

The NAV 1.0 Trip Planner had some challenges in the middle of trips. If you were consuming more energy than planned, it seemed to stay locked on the originally planned supercharger, urging you to slow down, even though there was a closer supercharger which you could make without slowing.

Haven't had enough road trips yet with the NAV 2.0 Trip Planner. It seems to be working as expected, though it appears to be more conservative at the superchargers, particularly the last one on your trip, recommending you stay long enough to have a pretty decent amount of charge when you get to your destination. If we know we'll be at a charger and won't be doing any driving, we'll leave the last supercharger earlier than the Trip Planner is recommending, when we have enough charge to reach our destination, plus a little cushion. Wish we had some control over how much charge we want after the last stop...

A Better Route Planner also optimizes for shortest total trip time, rather than minimum stops. Thus you generally stay on the lower half of the battery and charge times are dramatically reduced. It also can log in to your car to base its recommendations on your specific vehicle and your driving. The interface is identical on any device including the browser in the car. Bottom line, very sweet IMO.

I really want something to tell the fastest travel time. how do I set up better route planner to tell me to this?

My X will be here soon. If I am on a road trip and I am going fast will the navigation system tell me stop more often and charge for longer? If I start going slower how long will it be before the navigation tells me to stop less often?

Does the navigation let you compare the two options side by side in the navigation so you can see how the route will compare if you go 60 or 90 mph?

It won't put them side by side and tell you how fast. But the system is always calculating. When you initially plot it, it will be on the safe side to stop at the superchargers. If you speed up to the point that's beyond that; it will yell at you to slow down to ____ mph if you intend to reach your destination. If you do so, the message will go away. If you don't, then it will continue warning you; and you should probably recalculate a route to another charger - but not always neccessary.

My stubborn self decided to test this and I got to my route, at the speed I wanted with 3% charge left. My (then) future self hated my stubborn self as I realized my destination only had a 120V charger for me to charge back up to 20% so I could backtrack to the nearest supercharger...

• Funny
Reactions: Corbets
You will come to discover that every trip is a little bit different, and every person's preferences are a little bit different. I tend to like to have some of the stops shorter, so I'll take the ones every couple of hours at about 120 to 130 miles if available, so the charge time is only about 10-15 minutes. That makes them feel quick and not very noticeable to me. But the trip planner in the car seems to frequently recommend 45 and 50 minute charge times in order to skip over some Superchargers, which is a bit longer than I feel like waiting at most stops.

However, the tip from experience is to intentionally plan for some alternating short stop/long stop. You take a longer break for a meal, take your time to eat, and the car fills up more than you really need, and you are not waiting on it at all, because you're still finishing up eating. Then, the next stop still has some leftover energy, so it's quick. And then the one after is getting toward 4 to 5 hours after you last ate, so maybe that's another meal break. That kind of hides the longer stops and makes you only have to fill the time on the shorter ones.

As of 2018.12, I'd say it won't add supercharger stops based on a 5400 mile trip. It will tell you to slow down to make it to the supercharger it picked when the initial route was calculated. Nav as of that firmware vintage would also hide intermediate supercharger stops that it thinks you don't need, and I've never seen Nav revise the supercharger stops in real time like it replans if your route changes or change the predicted arrival time if your speed is higher or lower than expected.

It pays to either use the lightning bolt icon to uncover all chargers, or use a separate app like PlugShare to find all the possible superchargers along your route if you're either going to travel much faster or you encounter high head winds.

I really want something to tell the fastest travel time. how do I set up better route planner to tell me to this?
That's the default.

The variation comes in if you change variables like load, weather, what speed you want to drive (100% = speed limit, 110% is 10% over the limit, 90% is 10% under the limit), and what your car typically uses at 65mph. You can also specify what % of the battery you want remaining when you arrive at a charger, and what % of battery at your final destination. Take a look at the settings and see all that's available. All those are considered as ABRP calculates the fastest total travel time -- including the time you'll spend charging.

it does kill the battery (speeding) - coming back from san diego there's a wide open stretch. I let it rip open for a minute up to 100+ mi/hr and that too on a uphil (brief spurts) - boy did it kill the battery %. LOL but it was the most amazing feeling

maybe others can chime in but I think the car "learns" your driving habits based on your wh typically burned and the navi % is super accurate. I'm usually driving about 75/mph

Why yes, if you go faster you'l have to stop more often. Conversely, if you drive slower and slower, you'll stop at fewer and few charge points until you reach 0mph, and don't have to stop at any! woooo!!
Stay tuned for news at 11 when we discuss the two geostationary points for satellites... 22,236 miles up and 0 miles up.