Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I purchase AP thru website, how long will it take to become operational

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn’t new software code be required for the car to reconnize this new basic AP package? We have never had a package that is just solely TACC and Autosteer. I’m pretty sure they can’t remotley add individual options leaving the old EAP features such as Summon, autopark, and NOA out. It’s just not in the code. So the April timeline sounds about right to me for a new software update to be pushed to our cars and then the AP packages to be pushed after that. We all know how new software updates go, with a small batch going out for testing and then a slow roll out after that.

Good point, but if that’s the case it could be a while. I still don’t have any sign of getting sentry mode soon. IIRC Elon said there would be an update on the 15th specifically referring to AP/FSD. That being said if you bought FSD I don’t see why they can’t activate it as there is nothing to separate out.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t new software code be required for the car to recognize this new basic AP package? We have never had a package that is just solely TACC and Autosteer. I’m pretty sure they can’t remotley add individual options leaving the old EAP features such as Summon, autopark, and NOA out. It’s just not in the code. So the April timeline sounds about right to me for a new software update to be pushed to our cars and then the AP packages to be pushed after that. We all know how new software updates go, with a small batch going out for testing and then a slow roll out after that.
Sure, but I ordered both AP and FSD, so what I would be receiving could just be EAP until they shift things around. They had no problem unlocking the trial for me...

Sure, but I ordered both AP and FSD, so what I would be receiving could just be EAP until they shift things around. They had no problem unlocking the trial for me...
That’s true, you could just have the old EAP pushed to you and you would get what you paid for (the new AP/FSD packages). I just don’t see them doing this because then your car would actually be tagged as an EAP car, which it is not, and then all future software updates you get would treat your car as EAP not (AP/FSD).

This is why I don’t see anyone who purchased recently under the new AP packages as getting anything until they get all this coding sorted out.

That’s true, you could just have the old EAP pushed to you and you would get what you paid for (the new AP/FSD packages). I just don’t see them doing this because then your car would actually be tagged as an EAP car, which it is not, and then all future software updates you get would treat your car as EAP not (AP/FSD).

This is why I don’t see anyone who purchased recently under the new AP packages as getting anything until they get all this coding sorted out.
The software is much more complex than you think. I'm willing to bet those who just purchased the cheaper AP (and FSD) will have it by next week.

The thing I find most odd though, is that the Thank You page states your car needs to be "not charging" for the change to be applied. I wonder why that is. Most devices (like phones) require the battery to be above a certain percentage and/or plugged in.

Paid 3/6 around 10am Eastern time. Does not show in Tesla account but I also do not have the option to order it on the Manage page anymore.
I will be starting a 500 mile road trip in a couple hours, so if it's a matter of distance traveled for unlock (which I highly doubt), we shall see.

Paid for AP on 3/6 @7am EST. No email receipt, no change to my car's online description (AP doesn't show under options), and AP has not shown up in the car. Only indications I have that I made a transaction are the credit card pre-approval, and that AP no longer shows up as an option to purchase online.

I'm betting that Tesla needs to push a new software version for the car to understand what subset of features AP buyers get.

Paid for AP on 3/4 at about 8 pm Pacific time. As above confirmation screen said it would activate within 3 days. So I am hoping it will show up today. I went out and drove over 60 miles yesterday to ensure that calibration was not holding it up. No e-mail confirming purchase. Only evidence on Tesla site is that AP is not an option on my software upgrades page. Payment cleared my bank account yesterday. Unfortunately I purchased when my page showed 4K for AP and 5k for FSD. I was confused and thought I was buying EAP for 4K. So hopefully when this is all straightened out I get 2k back. If I do I’d be happy. Basic AP for 2k seems like a good deal and I would probably put that 2k back into paying for FSD right away. But 4K for just auto steer and advanced cruise control will have me a bit unhappy. I will post back when something changes.

I bought new AP late last night for my 12/2016 S for $2000 shortly after my account was updated. I got the stock message saying it could take up to 3 days to process, but instead it installed less than 12 hours later this morning.

I see a lot of complaining from people who bought 3+ days ago. I wonder if Tesla is servicing the longest term customers/oldest cars first as most of the complaints seem to be from the hordes of 3 owners.

I did already have EAP on my 3 so maybe that moved me up the priority list. Who knows but the statement in Tesla’s blog about April 1 one touch service was obviously not true unless today is really April 1 and no one told me!

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I bought new AP late last night for my 12/2016 S for $2000 shortly after my account was updated. I got the stock message saying it could take up to 3 days to process, but instead it installed less than 12 hours later this morning.

I see a lot of complaining from people who bought 3+ days ago. I wonder if Tesla is servicing the longest term customers/oldest cars first as most of the complaints seem to be from the hordes of 3 owners.

I did already have EAP on my 3 so maybe that moved me up the priority list. Who knows but the statement in Tesla’s blog about April 1 one touch service was obviously not true unless today is really April 1 and no one told me!

What software version is installed on your S?

I purchased Autopilot at 1:50 PM EST on March 6th. I have driven over the car over 50 miles since then. I did not receive an email receipt. Autopilot is no longer available for purchase in the Tesla store, only FSD.
My 3 account is inaccessible right now, probably due to updating but when I purchased AP for my S yesterday an invoice was created in my S docs for the autopilot purchase. I know the account details for my S and 3 are formatted differently but if I could access my 3 account I would think there would be an invoice somewhere for when I bought 3's EAP three months ago. (I did not receive email confirmation either.)

Since I have now purchased autopilot for both cars, all that is shown available for purchase is FSD. AP/EAP doesn't show presumably because I can't buy it again. Maybe that's what you are observing when you say only FSD is available?

Checked the box for AP at $2000 - but nothing other than box highlighting in red. But after that - no 'buy' option to press. No confirmation.
Current credit card on file.

BTW my 'calibration complete' notice appeared on way home from delivery center back in Dec 2017. I did the two week test run last summer.