Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If key fob lost on a long trip...what do you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Planning a long trip in to Canada from the US soon, and just wondering what would be your options if you lost your key fob.

I know the phone app could potentially open/run the car, but you have to be near a Wi-Fi source for this to work.

Any ideas?

Another thread I saw indicated that Tesla now allows roaming on US cars in Canada -- so the app should work. I'll find out if that is the case next month when we are up in BC again. Last time we were there, 3G service cut out once we crossed the border...

Hi All,

Planning a long trip in to Canada from the US soon, and just wondering what would be your options if you lost your key fob.

I know the phone app could potentially open/run the car, but you have to be near a Wi-Fi source for this to work.

Any ideas?
Isn't that concern the same if one lost the key/fob to a car while on the road on vacation with any car? Maybe a travelling companion can carry the second fob as backup?

Thanks all for your feedback - Yes, Bluestar I could give my traveling companion the second fob; driving alone wouldn't work.

On that note, if you left the fob in the car and exited the car, does the car self-lock, or can you always get in because the fob is in the car?

Hammer, understood - and Dakkor, glad to know Canada is current ;) Just need to make sure my US phone will be accepted! I do have a Canadian phone as back-up, but it is an 'old school' flip phone :)

As I understand it, a key fob let in the car (like in the cupholder) will allow the car to be unlocked upon pressing either front door handle. They will then present to permit entry. (This happened to me and my son two weeks after I bought the car. We stopped to Supercharge, went for a walk, and when we returned to the car, each thought the other had the fob. After a moment of panic, I pressed on the driver's door handle, and all was well.)

Caution, though, any thief with this understanding could try this trick at any unattended Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Slipstream
Here is the really simple answer. Have this on all my car keys.

tile-large.png

You can't drive the car away without the key so it's just a matter of finding it. This makes it EZ PZ.

Once you have it attached to your key then it communicates via bluetooth. As long as the app is running it will remember where it was last time it was connected via BT so you would venture back to that area and it appears within a blue circle on your phone. You can then ring it if it fell into the couch cushions or whatever. Here is a better explanation...

How It Works - | Tile - Never Lose Your Keys, Wallet Or Anything Again

If you have your keys and lose your phone you can use the Tile to find your phone as well.

Good info, cpa. This would also be good reminder if one took their fob, but their travel companion forgot the extra fob in the car. A free car to take!

Before anyone turns this into a 'Teslas can be easily stolen' story, understand that every car that has a key fob works exactly like this. You cannot lock manually if the key fob is inside, and the car will open if the key fob is inside.

mkjayakumar, yes, agreed this is not just Tesla. Although I have locked my VW fob in my car before; the doors auto-locked after 1 minute, and the doors did not unlock for me. Fortunately I had my second fob nearby!

Vince, that looks like a cool item/app. Looks like it works within 100 foot range of the tile, although it can recruit a 'community' of other people outside of your 100 foot range to find the tile, if the others have the app running in the background on their phone/tablet.

Only need to use the community IF someone picks up the keys and moves them from whatever location you left them at because the app remembers where it was able to last communicate with the Tile. Shoot...I use it more often to find the phone around the house than I do to locate keys. They are inexpensive compared to losing a car key these days that is for sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: Slipstream
If your phone can open the door, what about removing the battery from the extra fob and leaving hidden in the car somewhere? I used to zip tie a key to a wire and hide it real good in my honda. There has to be a way too be prepared for a lost, damaged or stolen key.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If your phone can open the door, what about removing the battery from the extra fob and leaving hidden in the car somewhere? I used to zip tie a key to a wire and hide it real good in my honda. There has to be a way too be prepared for a lost, damaged or stolen key.

The equivalent of that could be to hide the second fob in a faraday bag. Not that I'd feel comfortable leaving a fob anywhere in my $80K+ vehicle.