Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If the facelift MS gets a horizontal screen is that the end of development for the portrait one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
Just thinking ahead with the rumor that the ModelS is going to get a landscape screen a la Model3 with the facelift later this year.

With other significant updates once something new is out the old stuff (quite reasonably imo) only gets sporadic updates.

If true though, it does mean that current ModelS owners are likely to be stuck on V9 type layout, with even a v10 unlikley to offer a major change in UI. Even as an ex-owner for now at least, I know I would not be particularly happy with that.

V7 - > V8 was okay, but I never did warm to V9, to me it always felt like a bit of a Windows Vista moment and didn't quite know what it wanted to be.

Frustratingly Tesla seem to be trying remarkably hard to discourage me from buying another ModelS, think I may just add this to the list of reasons to wait awhile.

I don't think they would stop supporting software updates for the current screens when hundreds of thousands of cars with it are on the road around the world. Cars sold Aug 2019 would have vertical screens and it would be pretty odd to just announce no new features a month later when the refresh comes out (if the Sept rumors are true).

If the MS goes horizontal though, then that probably just means that the Tesla UI experience is going to be optimized for horizontal screens going forward. Major UI updates would be designed around the new screens with vertical ones probably just getting new features and design elements so that the software experience visually "matches" across products.

But if you're looking 10 years down the road then I suppose yes, it would eventually be phased out.

Just thinking ahead with the rumor that the ModelS is going to get a landscape screen a la Model3 with the facelift later this year.

With other significant updates once something new is out the old stuff (quite reasonably imo) only gets sporadic updates.

If true though, it does mean that current ModelS owners are likely to be stuck on V9 type layout, with even a v10 unlikley to offer a major change in UI. Even as an ex-owner for now at least, I know I would not be particularly happy with that.

V7 - > V8 was okay, but I never did warm to V9, to me it always felt like a bit of a Windows Vista moment and didn't quite know what it wanted to be.

Frustratingly Tesla seem to be trying remarkably hard to discourage me from buying another ModelS, think I may just add this to the list of reasons to wait awhile.
This is a great question!
I could probably get used to a horizontal screen (model 3 people seems to like it), especially if it was oversized, but man, I’d really miss the second screen..... it feels like a luxury to have that.

I don't think that dev will end, but you will definitely see it come more inline with the single horizontal screen version.

Plus, as a Model 3 owner, the S and X have way too many and way too big of screens anyway.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd