Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You Could Order Again, What Options Would You Get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I neglected to say that we like the white exterior and agree with Mark that this is much better in a 100+ degree climate. Mark and Merrill, it appears you both have tan interiors. Does it show wear at this point? I thought it definitely would show the dirt easier than a black interior, but Mark's comment made us rethink that assumption. If we did tan, then the piano black trim is fine for us. It would look sharp against the black.
If you go with tan interior, you might also want to consider the Obeche Matte. It goes very well with the tan.

If you go with tan interior, you might also want to consider the Obeche Matte. It goes very well with the tan.

I agree, I have this internal combo, with black exterior.

The matte Obeche finish is very zen like, earthy, natural. Plus... I think many, if not all of us rest a finger or two near the edge of the monitor to stabilize our hand while driving, to make tapping a function on the screen more accurate/easier. With a gloss black dash or gloss Obeche, you end up leaving more finger prints around the monitor.

Mind you all the dash combos are cool in their own way, extra finger prints on the dash aren't much different than finger prints on the screen.

I'd get the winter package, cloth seats rather than leather, and aero wheels (if they are available). Other than that no change (every option that was available for the S85 except jump seats and paint armour). I wouldn't get the parking sensors as I've driven some loaners with them and they don't add anything but an annoying beep. If there was a multi-coat orange colour (as shown in some posts), I'd go for that. I wouldn't change to a P85.

Note: The twin chargers cut four hours off the last trip to Nebraska. Just because there may not be any in your area now, doesn't mean there won't be any next year.

Well I've gone back and forth on some of these options. We've been corresponding with the contact at our local store. He even responded after midnight! Anyway, we're going back to listen to the sound systems. Both cars in the showroom demonstrate each option. So that should help us decide on that.
We'll take a look at the piano black and matte options. I doubt they have a fabric seat, but we'll discuss that option. We now have settled between fabric or tan. With fabric, definitely the matte. Not sure with the tan yet.
Dual chargers are in. My husband thinks that in the next few years, 70/80 options will begin popping up and it would help to have the dual. Despite the fact that by the end of 2015, one should be able to get to a supercharger.
Air suspension. Again, we're not sure. Could mean more test drives to figure this one out. As I said, the store suggests not to add, but I want to ask them on why now that I understand a bit more about what it does. And I think this is a personal choice on how you want the car to feel. I'm leaning toward it for the dips in our roads. I think I'm reading and hearing that it helps with that.

I appreciate all your thoughts. And I'm sure others out there are pondering similar decisions.

If you're planning on any road trips to Canada, dual chargers really are a must - with them you could drive 2-3 hours, stop for 2-3 hours to charge at one of the plentiful 80A or 72A delivered stations, and have enough to drive another 2-3 hours (so somewhere over 300 miles per day give or take weather, elevation etc). I'll be real-world testing those calculations in a couple of months. With a single charger, charging time would have to close to double. But as others have noted the superchargers bypass the single or dual chargers completely.

The parking sensors are highly useful for peace of mind in a $100k car.

We have the standard sound package, and it seems fine to me, but of course, my ears have never been the same since I attended that Ted Nugent concert in the '70's...

I also really liked the earlier post that commented liking to drive without music or talk on just to hear the silence -- yeah me too!

The pano roof is AWESOME in temperate climates. More headroom for tall sons, closed offers fabulous protection from heat and too much light, open is a great open-air way to travel, although at highway speeds it's a little harder to talk. We are currently on our way to southern California/Vegas/Sedona, so with the significant increase in sunlight and sun heat we'll see whether we keep it open much there... not sure yet.

There's one option that everybody gets without even asking - total enjoyment!

If you're planning on any road trips to Canada, dual chargers really are a must - with them you could drive 2-3 hours, stop for 2-3 hours to charge at one of the plentiful 80A or 72A delivered stations, and have enough to drive another 2-3 hours (so somewhere over 300 miles per day give or take weather, elevation etc). I'll be real-world testing those calculations in a couple of months. With a single charger, charging time would have to close to double. But as others have noted the superchargers bypass the single or dual chargers completely.

The parking sensors are highly useful for peace of mind in a $100k car.

We have the standard sound package, and it seems fine to me, but of course, my ears have never been the same since I attended that Ted Nugent concert in the '70's...

I also really liked the earlier post that commented liking to drive without music or talk on just to hear the silence -- yeah me too!

The pano roof is AWESOME in temperate climates. More headroom for tall sons, closed offers fabulous protection from heat and too much light, open is a great open-air way to travel, although at highway speeds it's a little harder to talk. We are currently on our way to southern California/Vegas/Sedona, so with the significant increase in sunlight and sun heat we'll see whether we keep it open much there... not sure yet.

There's one option that everybody gets without even asking - total enjoyment!

Wonderful comments! I'm really hoping the standard sound system blows me away. That will help us with the added cost of air suspension. In my Del Sol, I can barely hear the radio while driving anyway. Even with the car top on. It's a loud car. It has the original cassette tape deck in it. :). Suffice it to say, I bet standard will be pretty decent.

I think the pano will be enjoyed in S. Cal unless they have a bad heat wave. If you hit San Diego, the coast is cooler than inland. Vegas is another story. You should open it at night though as you drive down the strip. Passengers will love you for that. And Sedona is cooler than here in Scottsdale. So enjoy the mountains there with your beautiful view. If you head through Scottsdale, you're certainly welcome to contact us. We won't have our car yet, but we love talking Tesla! Regardless, have a safe and wonderful trip.

Wonderful comments! I'm really hoping the standard sound system blows me away. That will help us with the added cost of air suspension. In my Del Sol, I can barely hear the radio while driving anyway. Even with the car top on. It's a loud car. It has the original cassette tape deck in it. :). Suffice it to say, I bet standard will be pretty decent.

In my process of deciding what to order, still haven't pulled the trigger yet, I tested both stereos. Here is the issue when testing the stereos: you need to use good source material to test. Slacker radio is going to sound so-so no matter which stereo. Thus, I ripped my Dark Side of the Moon CD to FLAC and put it on a USB stick. My results, with this difficult to reproduce material, were that the standard stereo was very weak and it did a poor job of reproducing the music. The upgraded stereo did a much a better job. It wasn't as good as the Mark Levinson system in my Lexus GS, but it was very respectable.

Other stereo issues: if you want XM you'll need the upgraded system; and I wouldn't count on an option from Crutchfield. The stereo seems to be heavily integrated into the system from a control perspective. Thus, you can't just drop in a new head unit. If you search here, you'll find that some people got a Reus system, which builds on the integrated system by replacing the speakers, woofer and I think it may be a different amplifier too, but I can't remember. My impression is that the upgrade is $3,000+.

My bare-bones configuration was a 40 kWh Model S with pano roof. We ended up with a blue 60 with pano/ tech/ tan leather/ obeche gloss/ SC/ air.

I have the pano open when temp is warmer than 50F. Not so popular with the rest of the family: too much sun/wind/ noise/ heat when open.
No issues with finger-prints on the gloss or with the tan leather even with a 10 yr old who loves to fiddle with the 17" monitor and with no eating/ drinking restrictions in the car.

The only option not available at that time that I might have chosen would be the folding mirrors.

In my process of deciding what to order, still haven't pulled the trigger yet, I tested both stereos. Here is the issue when testing the stereos: you need to use good source material to test. Slacker radio is going to sound so-so no matter which stereo. Thus, I ripped my Dark Side of the Moon CD to FLAC and put it on a USB stick. My results, with this difficult to reproduce material, were that the standard stereo was very weak and it did a poor job of reproducing the music. The upgraded stereo did a much a better job. It wasn't as good as the Mark Levinson system in my Lexus GS, but it was very respectable.

Other stereo issues: if you want XM you'll need the upgraded system; and I wouldn't count on an option from Crutchfield. The stereo seems to be heavily integrated into the system from a control perspective. Thus, you can't just drop in a new head unit. If you search here, you'll find that some people got a Reus system, which builds on the integrated system by replacing the speakers, woofer and I think it may be a different amplifier too, but I can't remember. My impression is that the upgrade is $3,000+.

Well we went down today to discuss the options and to listen to the sound systems. The High Fidelity one was incredible. And I agree, adding something later will be a chore. The speakers in this system and how you can adjust who hears more was very impressive. We listened to the standard and thought it was ok. Discussed when would we listen to it. Longer trips maybe. And was it sufficient. We thought yes until my husband wanted to return after walking the mall. Now we can't decide. We're trying to keep it under $80,000 after rebate which is doable with or without, but we want to add a similar Paint Armor product from a local company. Thinking of also getting the center console and the cup holders in the back. To do all this, we're going fabric and obeche gloss. I agree with some of the later comments that the gloss was nice. I think it contrasts better against the black that comes with the fabric option. So our latest config is:
60; supercharger; dual chargers; fabric; obeche gloss; pano; backseat cup holders; center console; ultra high fidelity sound system; parking sensors; and tech package. Aftermarket protective paint cover. This is coming together. :smile:

I am in Scottsdale too....and my biggest regret is not getting the dual chargers. It used to be packaged with the HPWC, and multiple Tesla reps told me I didn't need it. I agree, I didn't need the HPWC as 240v/40a is plenty for home. But....I have had multiple scenarios on the road when I could have used the dual chargers. The most important and frequent being Tucson. I have several clients down there and I often go down only for the day - but you can't get there and back on one charge. And charging at Blink at 10-15mph would take too long on a day trip. But there is an 80A charger in Picacho Peak that would make it doable. AND...there were a few chargers in San Diego that I could have used. There are two 80A in Yuma too - though with the superchargers there, you don't need them. Sounds like you've already decided to get them - but wanted to pass along my concurrence.

I have pano roof and have no issues with it. They told me the factory tint has heat block in it, and I would concur. I would get it again. I haven't noticed it getting dirty - and I even set my coffee cup up there every day while I unplug.

I got the standard stereo. I don't have any regrets, but I haven't spent any time with the upgraded system to know any different. Having said that...this is one area that I might reconsider next time.

I got the courtesy lighting and like it. But I also don't know that I would miss, it if you needed to save a few bucks.

I have Obeche gloss and haven't noticed any glare. It looks very nice with the dash color and tan leather, and my brown paint.

I have the air suspension and haven't had any problems with it. I keep it in 'low', now that we can. I think it gives the car a good ride, but I also don't know any different. So, can't attest to whether its 'worth it'. But I would get it again and think it also looks good. As others have mentioned, it can come in handy with a high driveway (thought i don't need that) or for getting in/out of the car easier for the mobility impaired.

I got the parking sensors and really like having them. I find they do detect most curbs, if you approach very slowly.

I skipped the extended leather and the upgraded headliner - and have no regrets.

If you want to explore aftermarket paint armor, talk to Cactus Tint in N. Scottsdale - they've done the window tint on my and several other Teslas, and they do paint armor too. Great guys.

Sounds like you're all set with the store and/or service center, but if you want to see anything on my car feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Well we went down today to discuss the options and to listen to the sound systems. The High Fidelity one was incredible. And I agree, adding something later will be a chore. The speakers in this system and how you can adjust who hears more was very impressive. We listened to the standard and thought it was ok. Discussed when would we listen to it. Longer trips maybe. And was it sufficient. We thought yes until my husband wanted to return after walking the mall. Now we can't decide. We're trying to keep it under $80,000 after rebate which is doable with or without, but we want to add a similar Paint Armor product from a local company. Thinking of also getting the center console and the cup holders in the back. To do all this, we're going fabric and obeche gloss. I agree with some of the later comments that the gloss was nice. I think it contrasts better against the black that comes with the fabric option. So our latest config is:
60; supercharger; dual chargers; fabric; obeche gloss; pano; backseat cup holders; center console; ultra high fidelity sound system; parking sensors; and tech package. Aftermarket protective paint cover. This is coming together. :smile:

Glad you got to test the stereos. Personally, I think the standard stereo should be better and the UHFS should be even better than it is, but no car is perfect. In addition, the standard stereo should include the XM option.

Glad you got to test the stereos. Personally, I think the standard stereo should be better and the UHFS should be even better than it is, but no car is perfect. In addition, the standard stereo should include the XM option.

I agree with you. It's possible that they made the standard slightly inferior to make buyers opt for the more expensive system. I understand offering a better system as an option, but the standard system should be as good as a standard in other luxury cars. We did ask who supplies the system for Tesla and he said that Tesla built it. Maybe someone knows more about that. I would imagine the parts come from various sources and they may put it together. Not sure they actually built the system.

Since my car was pretty much loaded, I can really only comment on a few things I wouldn't get again.

I'd probably save myself about $4000 and forgo the extended Nappa leather and interior lighting packages. I never notice the lighting and the leather is unimpressive considering its price.

I would also have dumped the alcantara headliner and CF spoiler if they weren't already "included" with the car.

Being in Canada, dual chargers are a must to take advantage of the charging network here. My parking sensors have also been invaluable; they detect curbs fine for me.

Hi! New to the forums here and placing my order for Model S. Can you please explain why dual chargers are a must? I am near Toronto.