Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you didn't order EAP at $5K, would you buy AP+FSD for $5K now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have stated, I would go ahead and buy the AP if you drive on the highway a lot. I wouldn’t waste your money on FSD. It’s vaporware. Let them work out the bugs and then decide if it really interests you.

Buy the eap skip fsd for now. Why pay for something that don’t exists???

Your mindset is wrong. FSD now encompasses NoA, autopark, and summon. These do exist.

EAP/FSD are still not ACTUALLY worth $5k to me, BUT considering that new cars have to pay $8k ($3k/$5k) for the same features and used ones even more, paying only $2k for AP or $5k for both may mean you break even on resale value, effectively making them free.

For instance, if you go to sell a Model 3 a few years from now, how much more will a Model 3 with AP be worth? A lot of people may not even consider it, or will expect the car to be priced cheap enough that they can buy it after purchase (at an even higher price). I imagine, therefore, that AP cars will be worth *at least* $2k more than non-AP cars and same for $3k FSD, so basically I get to use them for free while I own it by getting all my money back when I sell it.

Of course, if you plan to keep it forever, that may change the math, but it also means the cost per year is much lower, too, and perhaps worth it.

What I am sure is that I won't rush to buy FSD at the moment. Given Tesla's track record for over-promising and under-delivering on autonomous driving in the past few years, I have very low confidence that it can deliver on its stated goals for FSD by the end of the year. Plus, with more EVs with FSD-like capabilities arriving in 2020 onwards, It's almost a foregone conclusion that FSD will be a much cheaper add-on (and hopefully much more capable) at that time.

On the other hand, I just might pay $2k for AP as a showpiece/toy for friends and family and to monitor Tesla's progress on autonomous driving.

I'll buy AP for $2k the second the link at that price goes live. Mainly for TACC, but autosteer is also great about once every 3 months when I take a multi-hour highway trip. I was itching to pay $3k for it when I saw the original announcements, but $2k is also acceptable. :D

The FSD? Eh.

Autopark is only useful when parallel parking in a city - I've done that I think 2 times in 22 years of driving, and it still wasn't all that difficult. Maybe if you're really, really terrible at parking (I know some of you are out there; I see you every day... ;)) it would be a very useful feature.

Summon would actually be really useful to me, IF it worked over bluetooth or did not require an LTE connection stronger than what is available in my area in order to work. :(

NoA might be marginally useful on a highway trip, but I barely ever drive on highways. And I don't see it being much of an improvement over regular autosteer even in that case. If it were a standalone feature, I might pay $200 for it, no more.

So as of now I'm still a "no" on FSD for $3k, although that could change in the next few months as the situation with HW3 and/or new features becomes clearer, if it is still available at that price. If it isn't... I'll survive and buy it at the new price, or not, as the situation warrants.

Just get AP. I have EAP on 2 vehicles. I never use NoA or summon. I use auto park only because it’s there, but not really needed. If I could have just AP and $6000 back (2 cars) I’d do it in a heartbeat.

I did get a EAP because without auto steer and tacc it just is not a Tesla to me. The implementation of NoA and how autorsteer has worked at least for me on local roads didn’t exactly give me high confidence FSD is coming soon.

I hope to be proven wrong here of course because I paid for EAP somewhat gambling that I’m a good portion of the way there to a good implementation of FSD, but I’m starting to feel I’ll be in differents car by then... (just my opinion)

My commute is too easy and I don’t drive enough long trips to justify 5k for EAP, but for 2k I will be getting it. The features currently in fsd are not enough to justify the extra 3k, but I will consider it for the eventual future features. I will take a few months to save up the 2k and risk a future price change though. This is a nice to have, not something I would use often.

I have EAP, NOA and Summon are worthless. I bought EAP solely for TACC/Auto-steer as that was the only way to get it. I so wish I could downgrade to AP and receive a $2K refund. Of course then one could buy FSD in the future for $3K. This pricing and packaging makes no sense, and previous purchasers of EAP and especially FSD are really taking it on the chin. Anyways, AP is a strong package at $3K was my point.

I'll get AP as soon as I can buy it online for $2k as promised. As for FSD for the additional $3k, I'll buy that once it's doing the things currently being promised. But I'm not going to spend $3k and just hope. I want something that is actually there.

Edit: I know summon and autopark are there, but those features are worthless to me. NoA is neat, but also mostly useless for me.