Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you removed the Side mirrors on a Telsa, how much would that impact range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering... with the camera, I don't really need side view mirrors (if I just use blinkers). Technically, I know it's illegal, and could get fix-it ticket. But I was wondering, if you removed the mirrors on a Telsa, how much would that impact range? Are we talking 1% or 5%? (The latter matters a little).
I assume somewhere in between -- that it's be 2% or so...

But I've never seen anyone do a test on with and without sideview mirrors.

I was wondering... with the camera, I don't really need side view mirrors (if I just use blinkers).
umm....the point of blinkers is for others to see your intent. The point of side mirrors is for you to see, though to actually make a lane change, you need to look over. So they have nothing to do with each other.

There was another thread on this, perhaps 2 months ago?

I think your legal exposure if you get in an accident outweighs the potential gain.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was wondering... with the camera, I don't really need side view mirrors (if I just use blinkers). Technically, I know it's illegal, and could get fix-it ticket. But I was wondering, if you removed the mirrors on a Telsa, how much would that impact range? Are we talking 1% or 5%? (The latter matters a little).
I assume somewhere in between -- that it's be 2% or so...

But I've never seen anyone do a test on with and without sideview mirrors.
Are you assuming they are ONLY mirrors? They aren't. Other things in there like the wifi and cellular antennas.

umm....the point of blinkers is for others to see your intent. The point of side mirrors is for you to see, though to actually make a lane change, you need to look over. So they have nothing to do with each other.
I think the point about the blinkers is that when you indicate, the camera view is displayed on the screen - so you indicate and then look at the video on the screen instead of looking in the mirror

• Sorry, I searched for mirror, and the other thread didn't show up. Once I posted this, it did below. I didn't mean to start a redundant thread.
  • Yes, the point of "blinker" was that it shows what I can see in the mirror via the camera, and I do use that a bit. But usually, I turn my head.
  • It does sound like with the WiFi antenna in there and other issues (service) it sounds like a lot of pain for a modest benefit in range, and a slight decrease in wind noise, so it just isn't worth it.
The other thread had what I was looking for, someone that tried it, and got the results, which were nominal -- 308 vs 301w/mile (≈2%)... which translates to 7 miles range on a full charge. e.g. not enough to matter.

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Basically, it matters at freeway speeds. If most of your travel is stop and go or urban runabout than it matters little.
No idea % increase but it would be noticable. Unfortunately, I believe low profile camera side mirrors are not legal in the US yet. Maybe they are, I seem to remember Audi has a few as well as Hyundai but afaik, not for the US market.

"Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome aerodynamic drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW).[16] With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting 4 times the force over a fixed distance produces 4 times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, 4 times the work done in half the time requires 8 times the power."

As an academic exercise, yes you will see a minor increase in range but…

• You lose the WiFi antenna
  • You lose the Cellular antenna
  • You get tickets which will likely cost you more than you save with a minimal increase in range.