Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be replacing a 2005 Toyota Prius that currently has 60,000 miles on it.

My new garage will be:

2012 Tesla Model S
2010 Tesla Roadster Sport
2009 Toyota Prius with Hymotion Plug-In upgrade

I am also waiting on an Aptera. But that looks to be up in the air currently on whether they make it into production.

What car I will be replacing...

Right now, I'm driving an '01 Acura CL Type S. It's the last coupe Acura produced, and it only has about 42,000 miles on it, has been a great, reliable, sporty car, but it only gets about 24 MPG, on premium gas, so I will be oh, so very happy to drive an electric vehicle. Up until now, I thought I'd have to downgrade to drive a ZEV, but with the Model S, I won't have to compromise.

Oh oh. We recently put about $2000 in repairs into the Saturn I mentioned above, and my wife is itching to replace it - now! I've convinced her I want to put at least 100,000 miles on it first. And she doesn't have to drive it if she doesn't want to. But it's going to be a tough sell holding out until we can get a test drive.

A 2003 Infiniti G35 6MT, currently with about 55K on the odometer. Here's a link to a post I wrote earlier under another topic. It goes into more detail about my choice and other related issues in case you are interested.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tesla-model-s-whitestar/2496-removable-swappable-pack-options-4.html#post43483
Change of plan. I have had problems with disks in my neck and lower back for about 30 years. Recently I got a pinched nerve in my neck that made shifting my G35 6mt extremely painful. I went to my Infiniti dealer looking to trade in my stick for an automatic. I wound up with a 2003 Mercedes CLK 500 with a 5.0 litre V8. Looks like I'll be be burning a little more gas for the next 2 years before I stop altogether when I get my Model S. The price was right, the car was immaculate, it only had 38K miles on it and I just couldn't resist. I had never even driven a MB before my test drive Sunday. This is probably going to be my last chance ever to drive a Mercedes in my life, unless they come out with a BEV someday. I like to keep my cars for at least 10 years if I can but sadly I had to part with my G prematurely. I hope to keep the Model S for a decade. I'll be 70ish then and who knows what choices in electric cars will be available then. Hopefully ONLY electric cars by then.

Having been thoroughly impressed with modern electric vehicles as a result of my participation in the MINI E field trial, my wife and I decided to replace both of our cars.

I will be replacing my MINI E (or whatever interim vehicle I am driving at the time; possibly a BMW electric 1-series) with a Model S. She will be replacing an 2007 Acura TL-S with a second Model S.

Hence my silly username.

The original plan was that I would trade in my Roadster for a more-practical Model S when it arrived. But now that I've driven the Roadster for a while, I don't know...

The current plan is that when the Model S is available, we will get rid of the 2003 Toyota RAV4-EV that my wife drives, AND the 2005 Toyota Prius with Hymotion battery pack that our teens share. By then the teens should have their own cars; and between a 244-mile Roadster, a 300-mile Model S, and all the new charging stations (?!), we shouldn't need any vehicles with an ICE.

2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged. I actually bought it less than a month after putting my money down on the Model S. I figured the wait for the S would realistically be close to 3 years, and didn't want to drive my existing car that long. I figured I could splurge on the last ICE car I will ever buy. It's making the wait far more tolerable (well, other than the twice-weekly gas stops!).

Was going to be a Mercedes SL-55AMG... but I am so sick of that POS that I am getting a Roadster to hold me over until I can get delivery of the Model S. If my wife and I like it, we'll probably replace the Lexus LS-460 with one as well. Depends what's on the market in 2013... it'll have to be pretty great, because the Lexus LS is the best car I've ever owned!

I'm pretty sure the Tesla people read these forums, so for what it's worth...

I know Mr. Musk is looking to change a lot about the car industry, but if there is any part worth saving, it is the ownership experience with Lexus. So far I've owned Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. Lexus excels in attention to detail in design and manufacture, as well as having a painless service center. I like Tesla's policy of sending to service tech to your house... that is a nice option, Lexus could learn from that. But Tesla needs to look hard at the Lexus experience and try to incorporate their best practices. With the BMW and Mercedes, I could tell that those companies tried to make a smooth service experience, but they failed to match Lexus.