Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replacing a 2011 Mercedes E350 Bluetec (diesel) sedan which goes off-lease on 12/01/2012. It gets 22/33 (26 combined) EPA which is pretty good, but 0-60 is only 7.2 sec. I'm reservation 4,491 so I'm hoping my "S" will be ready in time! I'll save about $2,500/yr in fuel.

Amusing yesterday when the "Lease Retention Manager" called offering to make the last 12 payments (8 by MB Financial and 4 by dealer) if I would buy or lease any new Benz! Told him I've reserved a Tesla Model S. He politely said "we'll make a note of that in your file" and hung up. :biggrin:

I will be replacing my 2008 Lexus LS600hL with a Signature S Sport. It's been a hard decision to make but in the end I am willing to "downgrade" from the Lexus to the Model S so that I will no longer own any ICE cars. I'm just hoping when the final option list for the S is released it will have a few more missing features that it really needs to have to compete in the luxury car market.

Wow, I'm surprised. The Model S is lacking *a lot* of features that are available on today's luxury cars. I hope you make the adjustment without too much regret.
I'm in the same camp, but haven't made the decision yet.

I am hoping that they don't eliminate too many luxury features (still really hopeful that Adaptive Cruise Control makes the cut), but I am committed to the grand experiment. I just hope that I don't look at an A7 with regret when I see one on the road...

Wow, I'm surprised. The Model S is lacking *a lot* of features that are available on today's luxury cars. I hope you make the adjustment without too much regret.
I'm in the same camp, but haven't made the decision yet.

I agree but really hope that Elon keeps his promise and keeps the feature level on-par with other luxury cars at the same price point. I am willing to give up some features I rarely use on the Lexus (like self parking and auto door closers) but there are some show stoppers I don't want to live without. I figured the $40K deposit is refundable if by the time I have to lock-in my options the car doesn't meet expectations.

I think comparing "fluffy" features like adaptive cruise control to a similarly priced ICE luxury car isn't quite fair, as it leaves out a huge feature of what you're paying for: the benefit and exclusivity of driving an electric drivetrain. Obviously, those other car companies have economies of scale that cannot be met by Tesla at their current volumes.

If the fact that the Model S is electric is not a significant factor in your purchase, then you're probably better off buying a Lexus/Audi/MB/BMW/(insert other prolific Luxury ICE manufacturer here).

I think comparing "fluffy" features like adaptive cruise control to a similarly priced ICE luxury car isn't quite fair, as it leaves out a huge feature of what you're paying for: the benefit and exclusivity of driving an electric drivetrain. Obviously, those other car companies have economies of scale that cannot be met by Tesla at their current volumes.

If the fact that the Model S is electric is not a significant factor in your purchase, then you're probably better off buying a Lexus/Audi/MB/BMW/(insert other prolific Luxury ICE manufacturer here).

I agree. I'd love adaptive cruise control and other such features but fully expect that some features like that won't be there the first year. They need to deliver on the performance, interior and user interface before adding other features. If there's able to do everything else, even better. They included most of the features I wanted with keyless entry, iPhone app and of course the frunk (never knew I needed a frunk before though).

I think comparing "fluffy" features like adaptive cruise control to a similarly priced ICE luxury car isn't quite fair.

One mans fluff is another mans requirement. I have put my money where my mouth is by handing Tesla $40k with the expectation they will meet their promises. Elon has said many times that he doesn't want Tesla just to be known as company that makes great "electric" cars but as a company that makes great cars. With the Roadster we all understood that we were compromising on features to get new electric technology. With the Model S there should not be the need for such a compromise. Since they have partnerships with Toyota and Daimler there is no reason they can't borrow some part-bag features from either of those companies to make the Model S an exceptional full-featured car.

I disagree on Adaptive Cruise Control as a "must have." Tesla is making cars for people who like to drive -- that's my read. ACC inserts its judgment for the driver's, which is something I simply would not accept. If I'm in traffic, the cruise control is (and, IMO, should be) off.

That said, I agree that Tesla should offer it, soon, and earn a hefty margin on it. I just wouldn't prioritize it on the "gotta have it on the 2012 edition" list for engineering.

Re-posting here from the Model S Regen thread . . .

I don't see why at the price point being quoted for the Signature Edition S ($90K) that they can't have at least the same features that are already available on mainstream luxury cars.

I agree with Dr. Computer that you should buy the Model S because you think it is the best car (has the best performance, features, etc).

Model S does NOT have: dynamic laser cruise control, land departure warning, etc like the Lexus. It ALSO does NOT have: night vision, heads up display, etc like the BMW 5-series.

And Lexus and BMW do NOT have: an all electric vehicle that is super-quiet, has amazing handling, can maintain your car's temperature even when the engine is not running, a 17 inch touchscreen, a panoramic roof, a frunk, rear facing seats, 5 star crash ratings in every category, zero gas, lower maintenance, etc.

So it just boils down to what features do you like the best? And if you don't like the features of the Model S compared to other cars then you should buy the other car.

I personally have never bought a car in this price range before and even though I've got a reservation I intend to test drive and shop the competitors before I buy just to make sure. If it turns out I like them better then I'll buy one of them.

I think comparing "fluffy" features like adaptive cruise control to a similarly priced ICE luxury car isn't quite fair, as it leaves out a huge feature of what you're paying for: the benefit and exclusivity of driving an electric drivetrain.

To me the ACC system is part convenience, part safty feature. It can actively help you avoid accidents with additional feedback through the break pedal and accellerator. Might be fluff - but may save you from costly repairs to the exclusive all aluminum frame/front crumple zone. Off-the-shelf subsystems exist from TRW automotives and others - I guess I would have expected Tesla include this kind of "awareness" into a next generation car.