Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the model 3 will be replacing my 2010 Honda fit, which is for the wife.
She likes smaller cars and she's not the greatest driver. The autopilot features will help.
we drove a BMW i3 before and liked it. But I can't tolerate the short range. To me the model 3 is the first viable and practical all around EV to own. It would be perfect car for around town short trips and moderate range trips.
For long road trips I have my X5 diesel.

The plan is for our Model 3 to replace a leased BMW i3 about the time the lease is up mid-2018. We knew the moment we took delivery of our Model S in 2012 that we wanted to be an all-EV family. The Model X doesn't really meet our needs so we opted for the BMW as a stop-gap to get us there and let the technology mature a little more.

We currently have a 2007 Hyundai Entourage. That's probably explanation enough for "why" ;)

But actually I've been fairly obsessed with Tesla for quite awhile, so it's exciting to be one step closer (even with what will be a long wait).

Have two EV's already, won't know which one goes until we see/experience the size/dimensions/range of the 3.

My wife is open to the 3, but only if the storage capacity fits our requirements, as we travel every weekend in the winter to sports events with a full car, and generally are close to maximum space utilization on the S85 as it is, even with the large non-AWD frunk!

Personally, I would be hard pressed to give up my Smart ED, it's a blast to drive, and the small size fits my commute on city streets better than a larger car. Maybe my oldest will want my Smart ED...hmmm, what teenager wouldn't?! LOL

Reserved 3/31 at home, ~40 minutes before the unveil. Upstate (Central) New Yorker, so I'm not expecting to be within the 1st 100,000 units out the door in Freemont. Coming from (and doing away with) a long line of Subarus. Thirty-two to be exact (not a typo). Turbos and non-turbos, autos and sticks, wagons and sedans, and all but one being AWD or 4WD. It's been a great run with Subaru (21 years), and I will probably have one or two before I take ownership of Model3. But times, they are-a-changin'! And I couldn't be happier! :)

• Love
Reactions: diamond.g
Already driving an awesome car - Mercedes E250 (diesel). Love the range on one tank of fuel. My highest so far was 1290 kms, but then I still had 9 litres left in the tank. It was mostly highway driving, but 150 kms of city.
BTW, when I sat in a Model S, I noticed the gear shift lever and the lighting lever were a Mercedes product. Exactly the same.
It's going to be interesting transitioning from a car that gives me 1200 + kms to one that give about 300.

Reactions: lklundin
2014 BMW i3. I've been happy with the i3, and my wife still drive a gas powered car, so I haven't run into range issues. But I would love to have the increased range and better performance anyway. I've also been a big Tesla fan from the beginning but have struggled to justify a Model S, so this will be my first opportunity to own a Tesla.

I need to take a test drive asap as I do fear missing the clutch and gears of the manual...I assume re-gen braking can substitute for downshifting at least to some degree...

My guess is that you'll forget about the clutch and gears very quickly. If you have a minute, head over to a Tesla place and ask to take a test drive in the MS with a view towards the regen braking. There is a setting (high / low?) that they can adjust give you an idea of how it will feel. My experience (with the Roadster mostly) is that the regen is stronger than all but the most aggressive down-shifts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Justmurr