Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you've had your windshield replaced is it worse than factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My windshield has a ~6" diameter patch of little scratches on the passenger side - they appear to be on both the interior and exterior. I planned to have Tesla replace it (arrived this way on delivery), but in talking with our PPF installer he was pretty negative on the idea of it. His opinion is that replacing the windshield will just introduce more problems, that a replacement is never the quality of a factory install, the seal won't be as good, etc.

For me, I know it's there so I see it all.the.time. Plus, it's a brand new car and given that it's on both side of the glass it's clear that someone saw the damage, maybe tried to fix it, caused more, and then shrugged it off (wtf). It's really distracting as the driver even though it's on the other side, and even worse when you're a passenger. It's really hard to photograph so I can't include what it looks like - but it's like this except 2-3x as many with each mark being half the length.
2016-03-14_18-58-31.jpg

They aren't deep but there are literally hundreds of little scratches in a concentrated circle, as if someone was trying to clean a spot with a sand-coated rag.

Would you ask for a windshield replacement or just live with it? If there anything I can do to make it less visible? Preemptive Google search shows glass repair products - anyone have any experience with that?

I'd get it replaced. We had a 3 windshield replaced with a Tesla made replacement with no obvious problems.

There used to be concerns about the structural integrity of the car with third-party window replacements since it adds some stiffness. I don't know if that's still a thing, but I'd make sure Tesla or a recommended place did the work, same as anything else.

My windshield has a ~6" diameter patch of little scratches on the passenger side - they appear to be on both the interior and exterior. I planned to have Tesla replace it (arrived this way on delivery), but in talking with our PPF installer he was pretty negative on the idea of it. His opinion is that replacing the windshield will just introduce more problems, that a replacement is never the quality of a factory install, the seal won't be as good, etc.

For me, I know it's there so I see it all.the.time. Plus, it's a brand new car and given that it's on both side of the glass it's clear that someone saw the damage, maybe tried to fix it, caused more, and then shrugged it off (wtf). It's really distracting as the driver even though it's on the other side, and even worse when you're a passenger. It's really hard to photograph so I can't include what it looks like - but it's like this except 2-3x as many with each mark being half the length.
2016-03-14_18-58-31.jpg

They aren't deep but there are literally hundreds of little scratches in a concentrated circle, as if someone was trying to clean a spot with a sand-coated rag.

Would you ask for a windshield replacement or just live with it? If there anything I can do to make it less visible? Preemptive Google search shows glass repair products - anyone have any experience with that?

Do you have a Due Bill with Tesla on the glass written up during delivery?

No due bill with home delivery. No paperwork at all upon home delivery. Made a service appointment the day we received the car and our SC is very good about doing right, we didn’t have a due bill with our first car either.

The issue is our service appointment is booked a month out but ceramic and ppf is next week so I’m torn on what to do, if I try to fix it myself to keep the detail appointment or reschedule after the service.

Reactions: Leeclanual
I plugged in Manchester, NH since I don't know what town you are near and see Rain in the forecast through out the week and into the weekend. I mention this because the car will need to stay dry for something like Ceramic Pro to be applied and properly cure, 2 days at least but more dry hot days the better. Humid weather I guess would push that out further. So plan to have the car inside during that time if not leaving at your detailer's shop inside. I know PPF is somewhat similar in that they don't want you to wash the car for I think like 2 weeks (don't quote me on the timeframe) so that the adhesive bonds well and the film doesn't lift up.

If you have the windshield replaced, which personally seeing your photos I would do if it were my car, I'd postpone your detailer's appointment. If when replacing the windshield they nick the PPF you won't be happy and it would have to be redone along with any ceramic treatment you had on top of it. Probably in part why your detailer is kind of suggesting not to replace the windshield but why have a new car with all this paint protection and end up with a scratched windshield (and I consider yours pretty badly scratched). At night I'm guessing the issue is even more distracting with headlights and street lights reflecting off of the scratches.

My own Model 3's PPF and ceramic pro installation had to be delayed twice. Knew our installer would be busy and wasn't sure when I'd have my car delivered so scheduled ahead of time. Due bill work on a few paint dust spots also delayed things as we were told the paint needed to cure and the detailer wouldn't schedule until that happened. So I carefully drove the car around for like another month and tried to use our second car as much as we could during the time. Worked out fine and got everything done. Our installer was very understanding and accommodated us with a future date wanting to make sure we had a good install and would be happy.

Last edited:
To circle back on this, the SC tried to buff out the scratches but couldn't, and then made no offer to replace the windshield (claiming they don't do it at that location). Their suggestion was to just go through insurance since it's 'free'. Umm, in the state the SC in, it is 'free' in the sense that insurance can't require a deductible for windshield replacement however I'm not in a resident of that state and I do have a $500 deductible and also, why on Earth would I go through my own insurance to replace a windshield that arrived damaged?

My husband didn't feel like arguing about it because he was late for work and is just overall becoming quite salty about Tesla given our experiences with home delivery. But now I'm going to have to reach back out to see what they are going to do about the windshield - it's honestly a hassle to get to the SC an hour away. Do mobile techs do windshield replacement, or is it just contracted out through Safelite or something?

We aren't sure we even want to replace it at this point at the off chance it's not sealed well. My husband is adamant we will never by another Tesla again and experiences like this don't help.

I had mine replaced after a highway rock hit it. SafeLite couldn’t do it, and I went to the service center. It took overnight since they used a cement that had to dry. Now it’s like new.

I doubt mobile service vans could fit a windshield in the back.

Last edited:
I had mine replaced after a highway rock hit it. SafeLite couldn’t do it, and I went to the service center. It took overnight since they used a cement that had to dry. Now it’s like new.
Does CT have their own Service Centers?

We usually take it to Watertown (which said they couldn't do it), maybe it has to go to Dedham which is almost 90 minute drive each way.