Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'll need that service agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it's a good thing we can get full service manuals for the car so we can use third party repair shops (not). Does Tesla really think they can force us to use $150 an hour labor. I like the kids I meet at the service centers but none I've met has thirty years experience fixing cars. Even that level does not command those rates.

Well, it's a good thing we can get full service manuals for the car so we can use third party repair shops (not). Does Tesla really think they can force us to use $150 an hour labor. I like the kids I meet at the service centers but none I've met has thirty years experience fixing cars. Even that level does not command those rates.
Maybe not ... but no one could have 30 years fixing a Tesla.
Find one with an electronics degree ... we're not talking about a car mechanic.
And salaries for car mechanics are less than programmers / eee people, are they not?

Last time I checked at the BMW dealer where I purchased my car, they were charging ~$125/hour. Considering that they compete with independent shops and that their basic skill set is widely available, I think that $150/hour for Tesla service is not that unreasonable.

That said, I've never paid a dealer anything and I've always fixed my own cars. The Model S is the first car I've ever planned on not servicing myself.

I'm not usually for extended warranties either, but again thats just something I plan on buying when I get my Model S. Seems almost foolish to do otherwise when you consider the unique nature of the parts on a Model S. If you have sticker shock at $150/hour for labor I'd prepare to be stunned when presented with the invoice for a new touch screen or power electronics.

When would we ever have to pay that $150/hr? Is that only if you don't purchase any service agreement at all? Aren't we basically required to get at least the $600/12500 mile(or once per year) agreement or else we void warranty? If thats the case, then I would assume this $150/hr would only kick in after the 8 yr service agreement (assuming you purchase the 4yr extended warranty)?

All valid points.
Tesla is the only game in town until they document their product. I believe there are some laws dealing with Mfgs having to enable 3rd party repair facilities.
Sure, dealers try to charge those prices. I'm down the road the minute my BMW warranty expires as I can find better qualified people at independent shops.
As for the EE degree, do not kid yourself. These are twenty something parts changers and NOTHING more. Given how Tesla has staffed up, I'd say they got a two month training session on the car and that is it.

The real question is how Tesla will provide access to that which is novel and needs to be handled by owners or third party shops. It is not a matter of if but when. Some of their customers are accustomed to being charged north of a hundred bucks an hour for service. However, there appears to be a significant number of buyers that are stepping up to this car and they (hopefully) will not be so complacent.

If I were Tesla, I would get out ahead of this one before it got around to biting me on my rear.

When would we ever have to pay that $150/hr? Is that only if you don't purchase any service agreement at all? Aren't we basically required to get at least the $600/12500 mile(or once per year) agreement or else we void warranty? If thats the case, then I would assume this $150/hr would only kick in after the 8 yr service agreement (assuming you purchase the 4yr extended warranty)?
Not everything that breaks is a warranty repair. E.g., a ski pole smacks into the center screen, cracking it. That's not under warranty, nor will it be cheap.

I must be getting old but that is just plain nuts.

That is the norm high end cars and yes, you are getting old. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I just got a parts invoice from Tesla. There were no labor hours on the invoice but there was a slot for it at $150.00 per hour! That $2400 on site service agreement is looking mighty good.

Can we buy the on site service now????

Its on the way. Tesla has announced terms, length, coverage and cost so I am comfortable with the plan. From what others have posted, Tesla is crediting back any charges towards the plan's purchase price.

and yes, I'm getting old but, as I tell my daughter, it beats the alternative.

Tesla can only charge what we are willing to pay. If MS owners refuse to pay that and insist that Tesla document their product, I think you will see that number come way down.

On the physician side, there are way too many things broken with health care. You're just touching on one of them.