Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm actually hoping for a 2013!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KenEE

P1919 Reward Excellence!
May 27, 2010
Texas
I'm P1937 and I'm going to get my MSP when I get it, BUT I'm hoping for a 2013 model year VIN to increase my resale price.

Probably not a popular stance, but to me, I'd rather get my car a few weeks later and get the $7k+ back years later when I sell it. 2012's may very well be tagged as the early "learning" cars in the market place, and 2013 will have a better resale.

Of course I'll be stoked whenever I get the call!

P1937 - MSP, Blue, gray, obeche matte, Pano, dual charger, reat seats, 21" silver, sound, tech...

I'm P1937 and I'm going to get my MSP when I get it, BUT I'm hoping for a 2013 model year VIN to increase my resale price.

Probably not a popular stance, but to me, I'd rather get my car a few weeks later and get the $7k+ back years later when I sell it. 2012's may very well be tagged as the early "learning" cars in the market place, and 2013 will have a better resale.

I think I'm going to go for the price increased version. It's only going to be $1000 more as I can dump the leather (which I didn't want) and still get heated seats. I don't want my Model S till May or June anyway [translator's note: I won't be able to pay for my Model S till May or June].

Ok well if they contact you feel free to pass your spot over to me then ;)

Good one, contaygious! :) Kind of just looking for a silver lining, but really, if I don't get it in time for Christmas then mid Jan or so is just fine.

The fam is coming to our house, so it would be fun for them to get to see the S, but I'm not counting on it. I think if any config is snake bitten it's mine. (rear seats, I don't think I heard of a Blue getting delivered, etc...)

It sounds like they've been delivering without the rear seats (putting it on a due bill for later installation). I'm starting to wonder if twin chargers are in short supply. They're standard on sigs but I haven't noticed them on peoples P configuration lists for cars that are currently being delivered. I know we'll never decode the batching but I can't help wondering! I emailed Thursday to ask if we have a VIN yet or any news and haven't gotten any response. Someone else with a higher sequence # (must. let. go. of. sequence. concept...) emailed that same day (same email address) and got a no news response, but, a response. I'm not cranky about it - just my mind trying to do something with the anticipation and "figure things out".
I'm P1547, Brown, 85 kWh, non perf., 19" wheels, tan, lacewood, active air, rear facing seats, parcel shelf, twin chargers.

I think I'm going to go for the price increased version. It's only going to be $1000 more as I can dump the leather (which I didn't want) and still get heated seats. I don't want my Model S till May or June anyway [translator's note: I won't be able to pay for my Model S till May or June].

Heated cloth seats will be great! It was a classy move on Tesla's part to make heated seats standard with the price increase. Now, if they would just offer heated rear seats on ver 2.0.

GSP

Of course I'll be stoked whenever I get the call!

P1937 - MSP, Blue, gray, obeche matte, Pano, dual charger, reat seats, 21" silver, sound, tech...

Just be aware that Tesla does not refer to model years unlike other car makers so the resale impact is lessened. What will make a big difference in the future is when Model 1.5 or 2 is released regardless of when that happens.

Just be aware that Tesla does not refer to model years unlike other car makers so the resale impact is lessened. What will make a big difference in the future is when Model 1.5 or 2 is released regardless of when that happens.

Yes they do. It's encoded in the VIN and its on the Certificate of Manufacture. I've had 3 or more emails back and forth about it.

As an example go to cars.com. There is one 2012 Model S for sale right now! In a few months there will undoubtedly be 2012's and 2013's for sale.

Used Tesla Model S - in 77479 - on Cars.com

@KenEE - I believe the point he was aronth5 was trying to make is that Tesla doesn't speak in terms of model years. Yes, the VIN is required to have a year code in it (due to the format standards) they don't talk about model year or describe future features in terms of model year. At least thus far.

@KenEE - I believe the point he was aronth5 was trying to make is that Tesla doesn't speak in terms of model years. Yes, the VIN is required to have a year code in it (due to the format standards) they don't talk about model year or describe future features in terms of model year. At least thus far.

Maybe a better example is the Roadster. If you search for used Roadsters they show up by Model Year, not Version. Also if you sort by price you'll notice they tend to follow the model year with newest garnering a higher price.

So in 5-8 years when you might be selling your Model S, whoever is selling it for you or buying it from you will ask the model year not the version.

What comes to mind for me is the 80's Avanti. same car no matter what year.

The point is that is doesn't matter how Tesla views it. It's how the market views it, and the market goes by model year. Cars.com, Carmax.com, Edmunds.com, on and on all sort used cars by model year not version. Cars.com only has one Avanti listed, but it's labelled a 1988 Avanti.

...from the Tesla Bulletin Board...

Ya that's exactly the info I was able to pin them down on via email. I think there is a good chance that post was made because of my questions.
Basically you get a model year 2012 if your car's certificate is issued on or before December 31, 2012. Starting Jan 1, 2013 cars will be certified as 2013.

The thing I'm still not sure about is at what exact state of manufacture is the Certificate issued. Anyone know?

But still I think it will be better to get your Certificate on Jan 1 2013 than Dec 31 2012. A small consolation for not getting your car before Christmas. Of course some of us will get our cars in 2013 but they will be 2012, because thats when their certificate was issued.

At some point they might do like they did the Roadster.

!.5

These don'y line up with years at all.

When does Model S 2.0 start? Do the people getting heated seats for 2.5K more getting a 1.5?