Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm done with speed-based lane changes, and automatically exiting the passing lane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inspired by I'm done with Traffic Light Control

On my last non-commute highway drive I finally decided I've had enough of the car trying to do stupid lane changes that aren't necessary to stay on my route:

1. "Passing lane": It doesn't understand time-based HOV lanes in the bay area, so outside of HOV times, it will still try to move out of the #2 lane because it thinks the #1 diamond-marked non-segregated lane is still HOV-only. The #3 lane is where all the trucks hang out and the road surface is terrible, plus it's always slow.
  2. "Speed-based lane changes": It tries to overtake on the right if the passing lane is congested. Overtaking on the right is for asstards.
  3. "Speed-based lane changes": Sometimes it doesn't change lanes when the passing lane is open and we're doing 10 under the set speed. Sometimes it changes lanes when we're at the set speed and then changes back a moment or two later because it's not going to pass the car in front of us.
  4. "Speed-based lane changes": The lane change confirmation takes for-god-damned-ever before it starts the lane change. If I flip the signal for a lane change, it does it nearly instantly. Why does it take 2-4 full seconds after vibrating the wheel and verifying I've put torque on to say "YES, I AM HERE AND THIS IS FINE" to initiate the change?

It's been so long since they've done *anything* to improve highway driving that I honestly can't remember when it was. Two years ago?

Last edited:
Reactions: thefrog1394
Inspired by I'm done with Traffic Light Control

On my last non-commute highway drive I finally decided I've had enough of the car trying to do stupid lane changes that aren't necessary to stay on my route:

1. "Passing lane": It doesn't understand time-based HOV lanes in the bay area, so outside of HOV times, it will still try to move out of the #2 lane because it thinks the #1 diamond-marked non-segregated lane is still HOV-only. The #3 lane is where all the trucks hang out and the road surface is terrible, plus it's always slow.
  2. "Speed-based lane changes": It tries to overtake on the right if the passing lane is congested. Overtaking on the right is for asstards.
  3. "Speed-based lane changes": Sometimes it doesn't change lanes when the passing lane is open and we're doing 10 under the set speed. Sometimes it changes lanes when we're at the set speed and then changes back a moment or two later because it's not going to pass the car in front of us.
  4. "Speed-based lane changes": The lane change confirmation takes for-god-damned-ever before it starts the lane change. If I flip the signal for a lane change, it does it nearly instantly. Why does it take 2-4 full seconds after vibrating the wheel and verifying I've put torque on to say "YES, I AM HERE AND THIS IS FINE" to initiate the change?

It's been so long since they've done *anything* to improve highway driving that I honestly can't remember when it was. Two years ago?
It's amazing the range of experiences we see reported. I don't use automatic lane change on NoA, and ignore the suggestions that it makes. No problem.

Last edited:
I agree, I can't stand it, it either keeps going slow and makes no changes, or changes constantly and drives me nuts. The thing it does that drives me the most batty is when it changes into the left lane to get around a slow car almost immediately before it needs to exit and it's now three lanes from the lane it needs to be in instead of two.

I turned off NoA awhile ago as why bother using something if it doesn't work?

Sure I could have only disabled unconfirmed lane changes, but if I have to confirm them myself what's the point?

I could have disabled speed based lane changes, but what functionality is there left? To remind me when to take an exit? That might be nice if it would right 99.99% of the time, but the navigation has a lot of mistakes.

On my last drive it told me to be in the left most lane on multi-lane exit so I did that and then as soon as the next one came up I had to be all the way over in the right lane. Like why not just tell me to be in the right most lane.

Why is the navigation so broken?

Its so bad that even the FSD beta people are starting to complain. That it's starting to get in the way of how FSD Beta performs.

I just purchased FSD upgrade for my 4 month old (to me) Model 3. Lane change on signal is basically why I bought the feature (disabling and reenabling AP makes me a left lane hog at best and makes AP frustrating to use on anything other than a wide open highway unless I'm happy camping 5-10mph slower than I usually drive.

I figured I try out Navigate on AP and man, what a wild feature. In some respects, its more powerful than I realized (I actually didn't know the lane change without confirmation feature existed). But on the other, still wildly in beta and incredibly stressful to use. Lane changes are incredibly nerve-wracking and feel like I'm along for the ride with my mother-in-law (who will stop on a highway on-ramp to wait for traffic to pass). One of the scariest things is when it can't seem to get over to an exit and then proceeds to think it took the off-ramp and slams on the brakes in the middle of fast moving freeway traffic. It's a wonder this system hasn't caused a ton of rear-end accidents. I presume its because people mostly try it a few times, realize it sucks and turn it off?

Its sure cool, and I'd put up with the craziness if it was making rapid progress. But I get the sense NoA has been stagnant ever since the focus shifted to city streets. It's a shame because highway autonomy will be far more easily perfected than city street autonomy. If I were to guess, I'd say its because highway AP is part of the EAP package that still exists for quite a few people and so they need to move on and check the box for city streets to call FSD "complete" and avoid lawsuits.

Hopefully the code merger Elon mentioned recently starts to bring some improvements to highway and summon to make these features more than party (YouTube) tricks.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I turned off NoA awhile ago as why bother using something if it doesn't work?

Sure I could have only disabled unconfirmed lane changes, but if I have to confirm them myself what's the point?

I could have disabled speed based lane changes, but what functionality is there left? To remind me when to take an exit? That might be nice if it would right 99.99% of the time, but the navigation has a lot of mistakes.

On my last drive it told me to be in the left most lane on multi-lane exit so I did that and then as soon as the next one came up I had to be all the way over in the right lane. Like why not just tell me to be in the right most lane.

Why is the navigation so broken?

Its so bad that even the FSD beta people are starting to complain. That it's starting to get in the way of how FSD Beta performs.

The closest highway exit to my house has been closed for nearly a year. Tesla's maps still try and take me to that exit. On NoA, it slams on the brakes as soon as it passes where the exit should be. I actually find this to be more frustrating than some of the other NoA silliness. Mapping is a solved problem. Waze knows about closures 2 minutes after they happen. Buy the data from Google if you need to Tesla. Or better yet, collect that data from one of the probably 100 Teslas that passes this closed exit daily.

Auto-lane-change sounds like a luxury. In the U.K. you have to confirm a suggested lane change with a flick of the indicator.
That aside, NOA has some weird behaviours. Signalling to move out of an empty lane; signalling to move out of a lane on the approach to a joining slip road. Weird location-specific lane change suggestions. Still, generally fairly good. I still like the novelty of auto-exiting motorways.

i too turned off NOA, the lane changes don't make any sense half the time. also, telling the car to stay in the fast lane seems to not work, it always exits no matter what setting i use. latest updates also make it brake extremely hard if it's trying to merge into the far exit lane, and another car if entering. it will basically slow to 30 miles an hour until the entering car gets past you before it will attempt to exit. also, i have never seen the car SPEED up to merge for a highway exit, it will only slow down and piss everyone off till you take over. they really need to put some logic in that will let it shoot for a gap.