Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm done with Traffic Light Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just turned off this 'feature' as it's more dangerous than it's worth.

Here's the thing - it has no issue accurately recognizing the state of traffic lights. I've never seen it get this wrong. However the confirmation requirement is the problem.

Today was the last straw. Whenever I approach a light I glance at the 'stop line' displayed on the screen to ensure it's green, and if it's not I confirm with the stalk. On this occasion I visually confirmed that the line was green (as there was a lead car in front of me). However right when I was about to enter the intersection the line switched to red and my car slammed on the brakes, almost causing an accident behind me. To be clear - the light was still green, and still showed as green on the display.

Having the line change from green to red is NOT ok (unless of course the light changes).

Tesla needs to pause their pursuit of L5 on the beta branch long enough to merge the new vision stack into the release branch and release it with existing feature parity, plus a few obvious next steps like removing this confirmation requirement for lights.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

I just turned off this 'feature' as it's more dangerous than it's worth.

Here's the thing - it has no issue accurately recognizing the state of traffic lights. I've never seen it get this wrong. However the confirmation requirement is the problem.

Today was the last straw. Whenever I approach a light I glance at the 'stop line' displayed on the screen to ensure it's green, and if it's not I confirm with the stalk. On this occasion I visually confirmed that the line was green (as there was a lead car in front of me). However right when I was about to enter the intersection the line switched to red and my car slammed on the brakes, almost causing an accident behind me. To be clear - the light was still green, and still showed as green on the display.

Having the line change from green to red is NOT ok (unless of course the light changes).

Tesla needs to pause their pursuit of L5 on the beta branch long enough to merge the new vision stack into the release branch and release it with existing feature parity, plus a few obvious next steps like removing this confirmation requirement for lights.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

I had something similar happen to me on a few occasions back on a previous update (not since) where the car would inexplicably slam on the brakes in the middle of going through a specific intersection on green. I would approach the intersection, confirm with the stalk to go through the green and right as the car was going through the intersection, it would brake hard. It was very unnerving and potentially dangerous. A couple times that it happened, I almost got rear ended.

I also don't like the confirmation on green with no lead car because it creates unnatural behavior for other drivers where your car will slow down at a green light. So, I definitely think Tesla needs to remove the confirmation on green.

Instead of the stalk, if you use the gas pedal for confirmation you won't have this problem. Just leave the pedal down until pass the intersection line.

Yeah, but the driver should not have to learn new behavior like this: every time you approach a green light, make sure to press down the accelerator pedal or the car will stop. Especially with something called FSD, the car should handle tasks with less human input not new special inputs that you did not have to do when driving manual. Just my opinion.

What drives me absolute bugsharts is that if it sees a yellow light in any context, it slows down, but only for a moment, and it's really jarring.

Wind advisory? Slow down but only while you pass the sign with the light.

Crosswalk ahead? Slow down but only while you pass the sign with the light.

Height restriction? Slow down but only while you pass the sign with the light.

Yeah, but the driver should not have to learn new behavior like this: every time you approach a green light, make sure to press down the accelerator pedal or the car will stop.
Maybe I've been driving wrong this whole time, but even before FSD, I've needed to make sure to press the accelerator pedal for a green light; otherwise, the car will slow down / stop. 😉

Maybe I've been driving wrong this whole time, but even before FSD, I've needed to make sure to press the accelerator pedal for a green light; otherwise, the car will slow down / stop. 😉

Yes, but that is manual driving where I am driving the car. In AP, I take my foot off the accelerator and expect the car to control the speed for me. So in AP, it is unexpected if the car slows down for a green light. I want AP to keep going through a green.

Instead of the stalk, if you use the gas pedal for confirmation you won't have this problem. Just leave the pedal down until pass the intersection line.

On the occasions that I test TACC with Traffic light response (AP doesn't work well on surface streets) I use the go pedal for confirmation. That way my foot is at the ready in case there is any confusion (by me or it), and the car starts to stop.

I've never had the issue the OP is referring to, but due to the way I do it I believe my recovery would be a lot faster.

What drives me absolute bugsharts is that if it sees a yellow light in any context, it slows down, but only for a moment, and it's really jarring.

Wind advisory? Slow down but only while you pass the sign with the light.

Crosswalk ahead? Slow down but only while you pass the sign with the light.

Height restriction? Slow down but only while you pass the sign with the light.
Good list, but you missed a yellow moon. :)

On the occasions that I test TACC with Traffic light response (AP doesn't work well on surface streets) I use the go pedal for confirmation. That way my foot is at the ready in case there is any confusion (by me or it), and the car starts to stop.
I used to use go pedal for confirmation but I found that sometimes the stop line would remain red even after I pushed it.

Yes, but that is manual driving where I am driving the car. In AP, I take my foot off the accelerator and expect the car to control the speed for me. So in AP, it is unexpected if the car slows down for a green light. I want AP to keep going through a green.
Proceeding normally through green lights while stopping for red, and judging for yellow, is perhaps the major L2 enhancement that seems to be working pretty well in FSD beta, i.e. a real expected benefit of the purchase or subscription, prior to real unsupervised autonomy.

At the moment, the Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control feature of FSD is seen as pretty disappointing because it requires confirmation on green, and the new chime is not seen as much of a breakthrough to alleviate the disappointment.

So I can see them taking that improvement into the current Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control to make it more of a real feature, while they keep the rest of FSD beta in limited tester status. They need more stuff to add to the extremely short list of actually-useful content in current paid FSD.

Unexpected when it is clearly documented? I "want" it to continue through green light intersections without a lead car, but I EXPECT to need to flick the stalk or juice the accelerator. Because I read the limitations and understood them.

My personal opinion is the entire traffic signal beta thing was just a quick hack to appease people who were getting sick of waiting for FSD. I doubt it's has any serious deep testing at Tesla, nor a single major update since its release. it's almost certainly just a beta release of an internal proof-of-concept demo put together for an internal management pitch at Tesla ("FSD Progress Demo" etc).

My personal opinion is the entire traffic signal beta thing was just a quick hack to appease people who were getting sick of waiting for FSD. I doubt it's has any serious deep testing at Tesla, nor a single major update since its release. it's almost certainly just a beta release of an internal proof-of-concept demo put together for an internal management pitch at Tesla ("FSD Progress Demo" etc).
It's what let them say "see? They can't say they got nothing for their money!"