Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm getting free SuperCharging on a Model 3..... apparently!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I have a dilemma. I took deliver 28th November. Car details in my sig below.

At pickup, the car wasn't charged so a member of staff plugged it in at Stockport SC and I wasn't charged anything. No surprise there. Most first day charges seem to be gratis from what I've read.

My free 1000 miles of supercharging appeared from referral in my app as expected. Lots of home charging followed. Life is good.

However, in the last couple of weeks I've supercharged twice at Leeds, once at Washington and once at Scotch corner. The last of these was almost a week ago and the first was 10th December. I still have 1000 free supercharger miles on my app and my online banking tells me I have not been charged at all for any of them as far as I can see. (anyone know how it appears a listing on your account? Does it have the word Tesla in it?)

Now the best thing I could do here for my pocket is keep quiet and keep charging. But I'll either end up with a later bill or I'll be standing as a SuC with a cable in my hand wondering what to do. Also, with the total ball-ache of public charging experienced with our Nissan LEAF, I really have no intention of trying to screw over Tesla for what is, without doubt, the best charging network in the world so I feel like I need to 'fess up' that I'm not paying. But I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced similar with a Model 3 before I start sitting on hold for ages.

OK so I have a dilemma. I took deliver 28th November. Car details in my sig below.

At pickup, the car wasn't charged so a member of staff plugged it in at Stockport SC and I wasn't charged anything. No surprise there. Most first day charges seem to be gratis from what I've read.

My free 1000 miles of supercharging appeared from referral in my app as expected. Lots of home charging followed. Life is good.

However, in the last couple of weeks I've supercharged twice at Leeds, once at Washington and once at Scotch corner. The last of these was almost a week ago and the first was 10th December. I still have 1000 free supercharger miles on my app and my online banking tells me I have not been charged at all for any of them as far as I can see. (anyone know how it appears a listing on your account? Does it have the word Tesla in it?)

Now the best thing I could do here for my pocket is keep quiet and keep charging. But I'll either end up with a later bill or I'll be standing as a SuC with a cable in my hand wondering what to do. Also, with the total ball-ache of public charging experienced with our Nissan LEAF, I really have no intention of trying to screw over Tesla for what is, without doubt, the best charging network in the world so I feel like I need to 'fess up' that I'm not paying. But I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced similar with a Model 3 before I start sitting on hold for ages.
Just ignore it. They'll likely eventually catch up and you'll see the free mile count start to go down. Tesla's web processes are often sloppy and laggy. It's only when it goes against your interests that it becomes annoying. Mouse nuts anyway.

Your delivery guy probably got fired and did it as payback, its not your problem if they don't charge you, good luck to them catching up with you as well as they can't even answer the phone and will probably annoy at some point in your ownership. Call it karma for all the owners that they have annoyed and staff they fired.

No lease. No finance.

In your tesla account > home > manage (relevant car) > view details what does it say top-right under Supercharging.

e.g.
Untitled_4.png

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Update. App now showing I’ve been deducted 65 miles now after a charge on the M6 today. Doesn’t tally at all with the amount of charging I’ve done but I’m going to write this one down to the quirks of Tesla ownership. I came out on the good side of it so no complaints from me.

Attachments

• C16ED7FE-2184-4C41-ADA5-3AA9DA7763BC.jpeg
    C16ED7FE-2184-4C41-ADA5-3AA9DA7763BC.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 63
Update. App now showing I’ve been deducted 65 miles now after a charge on the M6 today. Doesn’t tally at all with the amount of charging I’ve done but I’m going to write this one down to the quirks of Tesla ownership. I came out on the good side of it so no complaints from me.

As far as I can tell, Tesla translate the free 1000 miles as 400 kWh in terms of electricity credit.

In the “History” section of my Tesla online account, all my supercharger sessions are itemised. For the first item it states:

Credit balance:
400 kWh

Energy:
36 kWh

Credit remaining:
364 kWh

The remaining credit has been reduced from that point for each of my subsequent supercharger session.

EDIT: just to add; I’ve had 3 supercharger sessions now consuming 36, 27 and 36 kWh for a grand total of 99 kWh (301 free kWh remaining).

The car suggested I added 160, 120 and 160 miles respectively. But with my driving style and current weather conditions I’m getting around 65% real world range compared to the range reading next to the battery icon.

At this rate I believe I’ll get maybe 200 miles more than the expected 1000 free miles.

Last edited:
I had 3 10-90% charges at Westfield which I never got charged for. These were on the new stalls that weren’t yet live on the map and the connectivity in that car park is sooooo poor that I won’t be surprised that if they are using some sort of SIM communication method it’s just not uploading.

Either they will eventually update and I get to pay for what I used, or not. Either way, I think it’s best to stay quite. (In car display reset after a few days for me)

Not sure you could pay even if you wanted to tbh.