Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm in mourning!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brit4864: I totally agree and understand. Guess I should've clarified my statement as it was not directed at you (and I apologize for that!) - I have almost been hit several times trying to back out of a space only to have someone pass me as I backed up. So now I only do pull-thrus and back-intos (which I know many people hate those who back into spaces).

One comment looking at your pics (and thank you for posting them!) - I am concerned about your Model S seeming to be wide open and collecting dust in the body shop.

Brit4864: I totally agree and understand. Guess I should've clarified my statement as it was not directed at you (and I apologize for that!) - I have almost been hit several times trying to back out of a space only to have someone pass me as I backed up. So now I only do pull-thrus and back-intos (which I know many people hate those who back into spaces).

One comment looking at your pics (and thank you for posting them!) - I am concerned about your Model S seeming to be wide open and collecting dust in the body shop.

Funny you mention that. I do that now also lol. I've also become very wary in any parking lot now. As for the dust issue, they did valet it before I collected it and it seems very clean inside and out.

Ok guys, you won't believe this but the car is back in the shop...not the bodyshop but at Tesla's Service Center in Dania Beach. I started getting a random "car needs service" message this morning. I took it over to them and the initial diagnosis showed nothing was wrong. They took it in to clear out the message and found a possible battery cooling pump problem which may or may not be a problem. They're working on it now, have parts in stock if it needs them and should be back tomorrow. In the meantime I've got a Model S 60Kw loaner.

Update: They just called and it's ready. They'll wash it tomorrow morning and I can pick it up after 10am. Now that's service! And they did replace the pump. Tesla service 10/10
:smile:

With the number of reports in this thread of small accidents that turn into expensive fixes, it sounds like the days of affordable Model S insurance may be ending. Glad to see these cars getting fixed correctly; what a beautiful car.

On the plus side, it's such a tank that as long people are careful with their precciiiooouuussssssss you may avoid the really expensive payouts,
Plus he's in Florida, the 2nd oldest state in the nation. (Maine's older, but has much low Q-density).

Ok here we go. Before (left) and after (right) pics. Looks like nothing had ever happened. The wheel hub was new not reconditioned.

Before-after.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry but $22k is insane. Please tell me this was the first Model S they'd ever seen and were learning the ropes. At those costs, minor accidents run the risk of totalling the vehicle. Was this a Tesla certified body shop? Were they in contact with Tesla through the process?

In reply to the above, yes it is a Tesla approved bodyshop and there were talking to Tesla while it was being done. It was 26 hours to remove and replace the rear quarter panel. Other parts it says came to $4700 so the actual labor cost was around $17.3k. This wasn't the first Tesla they've had. I know they had 2 others in before me, one of which ran a total of $26k. They are also an approved bodyshop for Ferrari and Maserati and certified for Jaguar and Aston Martin. Given that caliber, it's unlikely to be cheap. Their labor rate is $110 ph.

In reply to the above, yes it is a Tesla approved bodyshop and there were talking to Tesla while it was being done. It was 26 hours to remove and replace the rear quarter panel. Other parts it says came to $4700 so the actual labor cost was around $17.3k. This wasn't the first Tesla they've had. I know they had 2 others in before me, one of which ran a total of $26k. They are also an approved bodyshop for Ferrari and Maserati and certified for Jaguar and Aston Martin. Given that caliber, it's unlikely to be cheap. Their labor rate is $110 ph.

Well I guess we should all expect high premiums in the future. Wonder if Tesla will put that in their little equivalent cost calculator.

I'm told that quarter panel is particularly expensive to replace, because of the way it's attached. It's somehow fused to the rest of the car. It can't simply be unbolted. Not sure how this compares to other cars, but I imagine other modern cars are similarly constructed. The other difference is that this is aluminum, so for even a small dent, the panel has to be replaced. In my case, the damage to the quarter panel is quite minor, and if this were steel, I'm pretty sure the shop could just push the dent out without taking the panel off at all.

old video that shows the body parts. The end shows the parts in question, but not in real great detail. Still fun to watch.

[video=vimeo;43083157]http://vimeo.com/43083157[/video]

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/43083157" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

[video]iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/43083157" width="500" height="281"[/video]

[video=vimeo;43083157]http://vimeo.com/43083157[/video]

Inside Tesla 06.05.12 - Body Center on Vimeo

Last edited: