Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm smelling bull on this story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So he never caught anybody using his car and instead made many assumptions and got featured in the newspaper. I’ve read some rubbish stories but this guy ( no idea who he is) is completely stupid if he can’t figure out what’s going on with his car, I suspect if true someone in his family is pranking him. What a waste of an article

There's a level of defecation to this story for sure. Why is he so blasé? I'm sceptical. tesla pay GOOD dividends to people to prove they can hack a car, which leads me to believe this person wasn't hacking their way in. Either the car was permanently unlocked somehow, perhaps as others have said bluetooth / keyless? OR this mystery person had a keycard somehow. No idea.

Wouldn't happen at our place. The proximity alarms would be going nuts, and CCTV would capture the whole thing. You'd think some one like this would have some kind of basic home security.

Something aint right here!

It's clearly his daughter sneaking out to shoot up and watch shows he doesn't approve of.

Anyway, it is perhaps a useful reminder that if you haven't make sure you enable 2FA on your Tesla account, otherwise you too could also have a french speaking, period-drama binging, account hacking vagrant move in.

• Funny
Reactions: Snowy77
Obv
I saw this yesterday and thought that Sentry mode would have resolved this by day 2
Obvious RTFM failure 😝

Polish_20211020_122647468.png

Doesn't pass the sniff test, unless he has it set to stay unlocked when at home - but why would you do that if it's on the drive?

Frankly, if he does have it set to stay unlocked then all he's announcing is his stupidity. Tesla have taken a pretty dim view of these sorts of allegations in the past, he might be about to find himself on the end of some litigation.

Just going along with this for a second.

I suspect Mr Jones has left the "exclude at home" ticked on walkaway lock.

But also, he is pushing his latest book on his Twitter account. I'm sure no coincidence.

Didn't someone once fake a story about eating a hamster for publicity.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking the other thing - if I use phone as a key - what is the distance between the car and the phone when it unlocks?

My drive very close to the side of house on the kitchen side (new build house). Would it trigger unlock if I was in the kitchen with my phone??

Reactions: AutomaticMan
You have to be pretty close - my lounge faces the drive and I sit about 3m away from drivers door and can't get in if I leave the phone on sofa.
That's good to know, because I was wondering about this as well! What about the automatic locking, how far do you have to walk away for that to trigger? A bit worried that my living room isn't far enough away from where the car is parked for the car to lock itself automatically when I go into my house.